Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

2 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

TBF he came with a CL winning medal playing in that position

Something about the English game didnt suit him at centre half so alladyce put him in the coincidentally named Campo role

Since when we presume all dodgy defenders who can pass could play there

Simply didn’t have the pace & strength to deal with the Henry’s / Rooneys Etc 

had positional awareness, technical ability and composure and 2 big strong and quick lumps behind him 

Zouma has non of the above so far 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What do visiting managers say to their players just before sending their players out? "These blokes think they are Barcelona with their swanky stadium and tippy tappy building form the back... ta

Starting to get on my tits now this fucking idiot. Weve heard it all before pal. The only issue with our performances is you trying make a gaggle of spastics play like barca-fucking-lona.

And to think when we were in the lower reaches of the champ and in L1 some on here had us believe the Calibre of players we had were unable to play short sharp passing like this.    yet you’ve

• Site Supporter

Same thing with Hierro.

Centre half for Spain but got ripped a new one at Norwich.

Ousted Campo in that role, just a bit classier.

But Campo’s a bigger Bolton legend. Loved him.

Hierro was a midfielder though, never a centre half.  He's been on TV quite a bit last few weeks on the archive internationals and he's such a class act in midfield, what a crime putting him at centre half and exposing his lack of pace.  You wouldnt put David Silva at left back or Aguero holding midfielder when they get older.  For a good manager Big Sam made some really wierd decisions that would have been the end of someone like Coyle or Parky.

5 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

Simply didn’t have the pace & strength to deal with the Henry’s / Rooneys Etc 

had positional awareness, technical ability and composure and 2 big strong and quick lumps behind him 

Zouma has non of the above so far 

To be fair Campo played for Spain, Real Madrid & Bolton in the premier league.

Zouma is a young lad that is nowhere near that standard yet, if ever. For me, to compare is ridiculous.

I'd keep him, give him a 1 year contract.

6 minutes ago, jeep said:

Zouma is a young lad that is nowhere near that standard yet, if ever. For me, to compare is ridiculous.

He has done okay under shit management, he deserves that at the very least. 

5 hours ago, jeep said:

Oh not comparing by any stretch of the imagination. Just The suggestion he could drop in to a defensive midfielder role doesn’t work for me 

he’s still learning his trade, needs to improve on certain elements to nail his own position first. Moving him somewhere else would do him more harm than good  

25 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

not comparing by any stretch of the imagination. Just The suggestion he could drop in to a defensive midfielder role doesn’t work for me 

he’s still learning his trade, needs to improve on certain elements to nail his own position first. Moving him somewhere else would do him more harm than good  

I like you do not think he will ever make a good centre back. I think Evatt can get a tune out of him in central midfield and comparing him with Campo is just plain crazy. I compare him to a young Muamba quick strong would win a lot of the ball in midfield. Just instruct him to give it instantly to Crawford or Politic.Evatt would train him on his awareness and composure I think twelve months down the line we would have one hell of a player.....

3 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

I like you do not think he will ever make a good centre back. I think Evatt can get a tune out of him in central midfield and comparing him with Campo is just plain crazy. I compare him to a young Muamba quick strong would win a lot of the ball in midfield. Just instruct him to give it instantly to Crawford or Politic.Evatt would train him on his awareness and composure I think twelve months down the line we would have one hell of a player.....

Yeh we could have. He’s got something. The Campo reference was made by somebody else. Certainly no criticism or like for like comparison from me. There were simply elements to Campo’s game which allowed him to play DCM. And the things he didn’t have which were the reasons him at CB didn’t work. 

Zouma with coaching as you say and also some experience around him could improve no end. I’d actually feel more comfortable with him in a back 3 than a 2. Another layer of protection if you like. 

he’s got raw pace and strength. It’s his positioning, reading of the game and distribution of the ball which need to improve if he is to make the grade in an Evatt team based on what he says he wants his CB’s to do 

37 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

I agree with this, especially the muamba comparison, worth a try in that role pre season. 

• Site Supporter

Zouma is definitely worth a chance imo. He’s got a mistake in him but has the raw materials to make a decent centre back, certainly as far as the bottom 2 divisions go.

Looks like Evatt quite likes 3 at the back so if he’s 1 of the 2 who looks to pick up his man and attack the ball, in theory he has an insurance policy behind him.

More experience and hours of repetition training to really drum it in, he could be a player

He could be. But we're restricted on the number of professional contracts we can offer, and have three young (ish) centre-backs signed up already. We need to make every player count and I think Evatt might want to bring in one or two defenders who are ready to go now.

• Members
11 hours ago, jeep said:

5 hours ago, masi 51 said:

comparing him with Campo is just plain crazy. 

5 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

The Campo reference was made by somebody else. Certainly no criticism or like for like comparison from me. There were simply elements to Campo’s game which allowed him to play DCM. And the things he didn’t have which were the reasons him at CB didn’t work. 

16 hours ago, MickyD said:

Didn’t Campo come as a shit Centre Half and end up a great midfielder? I’d take half of Campo’s talent in Zouma.

Could someone show me where I compared the playing skills of Zouma with those of Campo?

Busy bee this Evatt fella, considering the quality he is signing, seems a long time ago when Chino & Parkinson was bringing in players without a plan. 

It's looking like all systems go and it's looking likexwe have a system at last.

Buzzin for the football start.

Buzzin & Bee 🐝 

On 04/07/2020 at 07:20, barrycowdrill said:

Yeh we could have. He’s got something. The Campo reference was made by somebody else. Certainly no criticism or like for like comparison from me. There were simply elements to Campo’s game which allowed him to play DCM. And the things he didn’t have which were the reasons him at CB didn’t work. 

Zouma with coaching as you say and also some experience around him could improve no end. I’d actually feel more comfortable with him in a back 3 than a 2. Another layer of protection if you like. 

A back 2? I don’t think i’ve ever seen a team play with a back 2. I ‘m guessing you mean playing with 3 central defenders rather than 2, in which case i’d agree with you, but i can’t imagine Evatt going with 5 at the back. Attack will be the priority with the new “Brand BWFC”              

13 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

A back 2? I don’t think i’ve ever seen a team play with a back 2. I ‘m guessing you mean playing with 3 central defenders rather than 2, in which case i’d agree with you, but i can’t imagine Evatt going with 5 at the back. Attack will be the priority with the new “Brand BWFC”              

Yeh mate meant 2 CB’s 

I think Evatt is in favour of / used regularly a back 3 which would suit Zouma better I reckon. Would Certainly reduce the heart rates in the stands 

15 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Yeh mate meant 2 CB’s 

I think Evatt is in favour of / used regularly a back 3 which would suit Zouma better I reckon. Would Certainly reduce the heart rates in the stands 

We have got used to the heart attacks concerning our defence over the years, they became mild tremors due to the frequency of them and being the norm. Hopefully this will be a thing of the past.

As I have said before watched Barrow a couple of times this season he plays 3-4-3 but changes it during the games if needed against Barnet he started 3-4-3 then changed it to 3-5-2 after half time that's what it looked like to me anyway.

7 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

As I have said before watched Barrow a couple of times this season he plays 3-4-3 but changes it during the games if needed against Barnet he started 3-4-3 then changed it to 3-5-2 after half time that's what it looked like to me anyway.

I think it was meant to be a 3-4-1-2, with Rooney behind Quigley and another striker. The numbers are just starting points, though.

Whatever formation they played, the aim seemed mostly to have been to build from the back, then drive forward and get it wide to the advancing full-backs, followed by a low cross across goal for the strikers to get onto.

From what I've seen of Doyle (just clips on Youtube) he appears to have scored a lot of goals from low crosses / balls into the six-yard box / penalty spot. He could be a good fit.

Edited by Lt. Aldo Raine
1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think it was meant to be a 3-4-1-2, with Rooney behind Quigley and another striker. The numbers are just starting points, though.

Whatever formation they played, the aim seemed mostly to have been to build from the back, then drive forward and get it wide to the advancing full-backs, followed by a low cross across goal for the strikers to get onto.

From what I've seen of Doyle (just clips on Youtube) he appears to have scored a lot of goals from low crosses / balls into the six-yard box / penalty spot. He could be a good fit.

Doyle would be perfect Quigley is decent as well puts himself about thought Rooney was excellent both times I watched Barrow box to box player.

3 at the back always makes me uneasy.  I just have visions of our full backs caught half way up the pitch and the opposition winger getting a free reign to attack the space.  But in Div 2 you might get away with it due to lack of quality wingers up against us.  I still have nightmares about some of the championship wingers at Norwich, Sheff U, Wolves etc ripping us apart down the flanks, and playing wing backs against them would be laughable.  I suppose I have to get my head around the fact that we might be on the front foot for a change in this league with this manager, I'm just not convinced it works against the better teams.

20 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

3 at the back always makes me uneasy.  I just have visions of our full backs caught half way up the pitch and the opposition winger getting a free reign to attack the space.  But in Div 2 you might get away with it due to lack of quality wingers up against us.  I still have nightmares about some of the championship wingers at Norwich, Sheff U, Wolves etc ripping us apart down the flanks, and playing wing backs against them would be laughable.  I suppose I have to get my head around the fact that we might be on the front foot for a change in this league with this manager, I'm just not convinced it works against the better teams.

The best form of defence is attack, or so they used to say.

I suppose it depends where the team is in the game at the time, a 3-4-3 could become a 5-4-1 if your 1 up with 5 to go for example, Evatt is all about flexibility and talks about team shapes depending on how the opposition are playing and he will change it if something isn't working, which is going to be great to see, beats Parkinsons 9-1-0, which never changed and in most games under him we must have averaged 3 shots, 1 on target and 1 corner, and the substitutions under Pakinson & Hill were dreadful, under Evatt this will change.

All new, all singing all fucking dancing football.... hopefully 😁

Edited by Mr Grey