Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Warburtons

Spider

1 minute ago, leigh white said:

We were in the EU when the UK government got shipments of imported cheap coal from all over the world so i can't see any difference.

Either way, once fully away from the EU, we can buy the cheapest products from anywhere we like - as part of the EU, there was a "protectionist" element, now there's none of that, or won't be once we go WTO at the end of the year. If it decimates farming or fishing or the last of our manufacturing, then your average man on the street really won't give a toss, unless it directly affects his own job, juts as long as the prices keep going down

5 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Either way, once fully away from the EU, we can buy the cheapest products from anywhere we like - as part of the EU, there was a "protectionist" element, now there's none of that, or won't be once we go WTO at the end of the year. If it decimates farming or fishing or the last of our manufacturing, then your average man on the street really won't give a toss, unless it directly affects his own job, juts as long as the prices keep going down

Exactly, and very well put.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Is Warbies decision down to cost? Appears to me that they are trying to source a very particular type of wheat and it might be a massive assumption but I’m guessing that Canadian spring wheat isn’t all that easy to grow in the UK climate

They've managed without it for 100 years

Company seeks out best deal for itself shocker. These pesky boards of directors looking to cut costs. 

assume your company just buy from The most expensive supplier spider? No thought given to margins. Good for them seriously it’s nice to see 

• Site Supporter
52 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Is Warbies decision down to cost? Appears to me that they are trying to source a very particular type of wheat and it might be a massive assumption but I’m guessing that Canadian spring wheat isn’t all that easy to grow in the UK climate

42 minutes ago, Spider said:

They've managed without it for 100 years

But then cast your mind back a few hours...

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I used to work with a fella whose son worked for warbies as a flour researcher/technician type role. He was all over the world back then (25 years approx) looking at wheats and their suitability for various products.

Quite scientific, more than I realised.

So maybe, just maybe, TMGJ’s mate is finally justifying his jet setting lifestyle and has found just the type of wheat and their sustainability he’s been after for 25 years approx.

Sometimes it's not always solely on price point but also on supply chains. If you put all your eggs, well flour, in one basket then that supply chain (i.e. UK wheat) has a poor year or event that effects flour production, well you're screwed for a bit. Diversify your supply chains mitigates such risks

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Company seeks out best deal for itself shocker. These pesky boards of directors looking to cut costs. 

assume your company just buy from The most expensive supplier spider? No thought given to margins. Good for them seriously it’s nice to see 

There’s not so many copper mines in Britain.

But mostly we buy British.

As I said, I’m really not all that arsed, but a massive emphasis about leaving the EU was the boon it would be to British farmers and that.

Things like this don’t help.

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

There’s not so many copper mines in Britain.

But mostly we buy British.

As I said, I’m really not all that arsed, but a massive emphasis about leaving the EU was the boon it would be to British farmers and that.

Things like this don’t help.

How would this have stopped it? What would’ve stopped them going to an eu farmer. You are linking brexit and this very very tenuously. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

How would this have stopped it? What would’ve stopped them going to an eu farmer. You are linking brexit and this very very tenuously. 

I know I am.

It is what it is.

Firmly on the fence with this, because we need Warburtons to do well around here.

I just don’t see the utopia of Brexit. I see a struggle mainly.

7 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Dunno, I like a white toastie loaf for bacon butties.

Now Kingsmill, that's a pile of shit.

I like white bread for a bacon butty. 

Though not if the bacon comes from pigs that have been made to smoke by unscrupulous farmers. 

4 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Will folk please stop mentioning Brexit in any thread other than the Brexit thread

It makes Spider come all unnecessary and it’s not good for his health

Perhaps he shouldn't have voted leave

🙄🙄

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Will folk please stop mentioning Brexit in any thread other than the Brexit thread

It makes Spider come all unnecessary and it’s not good for his health

I agree. Bloody weird why he brought it up in the first place.

Anyway, where's Salford these days- he used to work for a bakery, so may be able to shed some light on the flour issue.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I agree. Bloody weird why he brought it up in the first place.

Anyway, where's Salford these days- he used to work for a bakery, so may be able to shed some light on the flour issue.

He’s tied up with work mate. He’s incredibly busy in a new role. And funnily enough they’ve just launched a new major bread brand believe it or not. I will message him and get his expert opinion on the warbies situation. And as we all know if there is a case to be made to link anything to brexit He along with spider will find it. 

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Sweep said:

And this was the main point of Brexit (apparently), so people should be pleased that we're free to go for the lowest prices, no way should we be protecting our own farmers and keeping business/orders here, if it's going to be an extra cost to the consumer.I think even the most ardent Brexiteer knows that leaving the EU is going to decimate the UK farming industry with regards to commodity crops and livestock. As a population, we always strive for the lowest cost - it's very romantic and idealistic to say "well all buy British, it'll be great" but ultimately people will still vote with their wallets, and sad but true, there is a reason why the likes of Primark, B&M and Poundland are thriving. I think we know that UK farmers are not really going to be able to compete for large volumes of grain, so they'll just have to diversify and find something else to do to make a living, especially as they'll no longer be getting EU subsidies.

Can't agree with all that.

Some tariffs will be introduced to protect British jobs. It's what all nations do. Not everything can go to the cheapest option as theoretically, you'd have no jobs and no economy, and in the end no money to import.

However, it does provide the opportunity to import from all over where necessary and as you say, potentially get a better price.

There is indeed a general desire to buy cheap, but that seems to have snowballed in recent times, perhaps out of necessity.

You know my views on China and its effect in this way, especially given its illegal business practices.

There is a slow movement towards local produce and products however, perhaps borne of environmental considerations, but certainly heightened by the covid pandemic.

An opportunity for any government to push for a greater level of manufacturing and production here.

Additionally, as I touched upon before, it was a radio 4 discussion I caught the tail end of, with experts detailing how some of these huge nations with many mouths to feed may be rubber ducked when climate change ruins their ability to both feed their own and export.

The inference being it will become imperative that we are ready for that by way of land use as we will have to produce more of our own.