Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Boundary Changes.

leigh white

10 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Just looking on old maps and noticed that Manchester Airport was in Cheshire, i wonder how much they got paid off to have that land took ?

Nothing I think. An Act of Parliament created Greater Manchester. I always remember it was basically the old SELNEC area: South East Lancashire & North East Cheshire. I was once chatting to a chap in a bar who told me he was from Cheshire, Stalybridge specifically. Much like many in Greater Manchester still consider ourselves Lancastrians.

• Site Supporter

As part of the Greater Manchester take over, ownership was granted to the 10 borough councils making up GMC; Manchester, Tameside, Stockport, Bury, Bolton, Rochdale, Wigan, Oldham, Salford Ā &Ā Stretford .

20 minutes ago, athywhite1958 said:

I remember Atherton being it's own Atherton Urban District Council (AUDC) until the wankers lumped us in as Wigginers

A town full of trendy wine bars, two train stations and a team in the Northern Premier League Premier Division, what more do you want you moaning cunt.Ā šŸ˜„

Salford is massive.

Driving along the A6 the Boundary Stone is just past Cutacre Lane. ( first on left after recyling place). Then it stretches to Stretford and the docks and Cadishead. ( including an American Soccer Franchise).

Ā 

Heading the other way it stretches almost to Whitefield.

The old Lancashire boundarys are interesting to look at .Ā 

I always put down Lancashire have never used greater manchester.

Living in Howfen is confusing thoughĀ  .

Bolton post code , Pie eaters phone code.

Whats that all about ?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Moderators

I always had Westhoughton down as just about Bolton, like Blackrod, but tarnished enough by the border to try and just ignore it

What i didn't know till i did a search just now is this Howfen place people speak of is a "nickname" for Westhoughton, ie the same placeĀ 

Is this so people don't think you're from Westhoughton?