Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Alan Stubbs Interview

WellDoneMichael

Stubbs was a good player for Bolton and came through our own ranks. He was a good performer for us in 95/6 after that naive and silly comment on Match of the Day. He got his head down and worked hard.  

As such its a bit pointless holding a grudge 24 years on. In the grand scheme of things he was a good un for us in our first really good period after the misery of the 80s. 

Nothing much against him. But if you wanted me to list greats of the past two and a half decades there'd be a good few names before we reached his.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Ands1 said:

Mcateer was just as bad, he was pestering Roy Evans to sign him when we played Liverpool in the Cup final

Yes, maybe he did, but unlike Stubbs begging for a move on national telly, McAteer did it behind closed doors. 

Fair to say this post has divided opinion! Apologies if opened up some old wounds...

For anyone who did listen to this podcast episode with Alan Stubbs - I hope you enjoyed it - Alan does talk about the transfer situation with Blackburn and McAteer. 

Have a great weekend. All the best for next season. 

Cheers

https://www.welldonemichaelhes13.com/podcast

I listened to it. No qualms about the podcast, it’s good. 

McAteer and Stubbs are a couple of years before my time; I’ve (rightly or wrongly) inherited respect of McAteer and dislike of Stubbs.

It did stand out to me that despite us bringing Stubbs through, he didn’t exactly speak fondly of us, considering we were as good for him as he was for us. Fuck him. 

As I say, a bit before my time. But having seen footage of them both in a white shirt, they both didn’t hit the heights they looked like doing.

McAteer being an all action centre mid with us; wasted at full back for Liverpool then an also-ran at Rovers/Sunderland.

Stubbs I don’t recall ever being touted for England. Health scare so fair enough, but I saw a link earlier in the thread (preview of the 95/96 season) that suggested had Rioch signed the pair, Arsenal would be considered title contenders? Madness in hindsight. I really enjoyed that article by the way. A lot of players who failed to live up to expectation (or I’d never even heard of!). 

I remember Stubbs going down injured during the playoff game against wolves at BP. Folk say the atmosphere at that game was the best they have experienced at the old place. But when Stubbs went down you could hear a pin drop. He was that important for us.

Had a chat with him on the phone a few years ago (as you do) and he spoke very highly of Bolton and said he would have been a nobody if he hadn't had his chance with us. Probably one of the earliest cases of a player getting caught out when he's had an agent bending his ear.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Underpants said:

I remember Stubbs going down injured during the playoff game against wolves at BP. Folk say the atmosphere at that game was the best they have experienced at the old place. But when Stubbs went down you could hear a pin drop. He was that important for us.

I remember that like it was yesterday. I said to the lads we lose Stubbs, we lose the tie.

He can fuck off , like.

5 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Had a chat with him on the phone a few years ago (as you do) and he spoke very highly of Bolton and said he would have been a nobody if he hadn't had his chance with us. Probably one of the earliest cases of a player getting caught out when he's had an agent bending his ear.

Fair point he would have been media coached if it happened now and just come out with a generic answer