Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rats.

leigh white

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, crawshawbooth said:

about 10 years ago one dropped out of the roof onto a lads back i was working with on Bank street

never even heard a girl scream that much

soft tart 😃

Loads of them on that path in between Buffer stops and the back of Aldi/Home Bargains down in the wooded area. See them every time we go down. 

Slowed down to 1 or 2 now there’s a bit more traffic but in proper lockdown, saw between 5 and 10 on a regular basis. Big buggers too

Dont like rodents of any sort. I will scream like a schoolgirl and jump on a chair, table or you if you happen to be close enough.

My fear comes from when I was a child. There was some demolition work going on near were I lived. We had an invasion of rats and mice for months. Not pleasant for a 8 year old trying to sleep when things were running around your bedroom.

• Members

My dog likes to go wandering in the field, must be once a week he’ll bring something back, usually a mouse or vole. 
Mrs screamed the house down because she thought he had brought a rat home, it was a mole, no rats so far 

17 hours ago, crawshawbooth said:

about 10 years ago one dropped out of the roof onto a lads back i was working with on Bank street

never even heard a girl scream that much

soft tart 😃

I seem to remember a certain group of young lads all getting on their toes in the catacombs under the market hall . When we were visting the old  butchering rooms.

Place was crawling with them.

Mind you i think we were about 12/13 years old.

For younger readers this was long before Debenhams was built . And there was a cobbled street opposite the Argos on Bridge Street. At the far end was steps leading up to Bath St.

I remember the rat man showing us his days catch.

We knew how to have fun.

Looking at dead rats , buying a drink of cold sarsparrilla from the health stall and nicking spud guns from the toy stall.

We then moved onto the old BB guns.

Edited by embankment

My late granddad used to tell a story of when the original fish market was demolished in Bolton.  Thousands of rats charging up the street, so many the road was black with them and people were running into shops to get away.

I always thought he was exaggerating until I read about it in the BENs looking back section.

We've got foxes around us, keeps the rats down a treat, but drives my dogs into a killing rage.....Fuck knows what they'd do if they actually grabbed a fox, be like an Evertonian cornered on his own in Stanley Park....................