Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pubs What Away Fans Go At Bolton.

leigh white

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Shrewsbury definitely did not sure about any others? 

I was sat in the front room of the Old Man and Scythe having a quiet beer waiting for the mrs to finish shopping when that happened. 

There were a number of youth acting as spotters on various corners of Churchgate and Bradshawgate. You could spot it from a mile off, needless to say the bobbies turned up well after the event.

Not sure they’d been boozing in Bolton though, I think they only turned up for that.

Didnt some Plymouth fans show up to the Swan (kin hell, after a journey like that) in the Cup game?

I remember being in the Flying Flute first day of the season ages ago when we played Stoke and a load of their lot turned up. I finished that day thinking Elmander was going to get 25 goals for us that season.

Blackburn took over Flea Pit not so long back, Villa had at least a coach full in Horwich too on snow day. Surprised more dont come through Horwich actually, drinkers dream.

*Edit - Landlord of Sweet Green hosted a pub and beer garden full of Sheff United first day of L1 there were loads of them.

Edited by Marc505

Sheff U rammed out that pub that used to be painted pink - The Royal Oak (?) - on the A6 just off the Middlebrook junction of the M61 - a couple of times back in the Prem days. Met my Sheff U mate there for a pre-match pint. There was some serious mither walking to the ground

1 minute ago, blackleywhite said:

Another coach use the Hulton Arms for wigan. 

Rotherham have used the Whistling Wren in Leigh for both Bolton and Wigan in the last few years. Fuck knows why you’d go out of your way to go to a run of the mill Marston’s food pub. 

Wigan had decent numbers in the Sweet Green first time they ever came here, went off rapidly. They got split up and a few got smashed in The York as well as the Rose Hill......not sure they ever went in a boozer of ours when they came to Burnden again.

Burnley brought a token mob first game of the 2000/01 season but were holed up in the Lord Clyde....about as much use as their hiding in the Bradford Arms in 88 considering all the threats they'd made in the local rags.

Boro as Va Va correctly says, put up a very good account of themselves indeed at the Sweet Green, very game bunch of lads.

Darlington had a big mob in The Greyhound, mid 80's

Sheff Utd had loads in Farnworth early 80's, they came unstuck though against the locals.

Newcastle were everywhere in 82, I wasn't old enough to drink legally but remember them being in big numbers 

9 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I remember a coachload of Middlesbrough turning up at Heaton Cricket Club in Smithills a few years back, it seemed a strange choice of venue with it being a bit of a trek from our stadium. 

That was organised by a lad called simmy , a big boro fan. They used to come quite a few times. Then the cricket club put it on the web site inviting Fans for pre match drinks. Had Bradford and some knobs from Dewsbury ( Leeds supporters club) turn up. Made a few quid for the club.

• Members

Interested to hear comments about Boro fans. My uncle was one (from Saltburn) and the older end will no doubt remember their reputation as the 'Ayresome Angels' due to their good behaviour at games.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/history-ayresome-angels-boros-technicolour-13130448

Went to a few games with him (most memorable was a 6-0 thumping we gave them at Burnden and he'd had a bet with me and my brother which he did pay out on. He just wanted to find somewhere to go and hide 🙂 )

Things changed and it seems they have not been ones to be messed with for a long time now. I remember boarding a train in Koln after we'd played Sweden in the 2006 World Cup. Some very well known Chelsea faces were on there, in the main smashed up.

Had a word with one (DG) and his exact words were "we made the mistake of having it with Boro". The carriage resembled an abbatoir.

10 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Boro & Everton have had coaches of fans in the Horwich RMI club a few years ago obviously.

I remember that but thought it was when they were playing away at Wigan. 

Might be wrong. 

3 hours ago, stevieb said:

I remember that but thought it was when they were playing away at Wigan. 

Might be wrong. 

Definately playing us because both had arranged with the club in advance .

Ps they might have done Wiggin as well although seems the wrong side of the county for Everton .

21 hours ago, Ghana White said:

Used to like Mill House when the ground opened I'm not a massive fan of anywhere near the ground now although I've not been in Scotts for couple of years, hotel is alright but doesn't feel like your having a beer after the match would prefer traditional pub, theres not that great options for us near the ground nevermind away fans, it's a cracking ground though.

I'd forgotten about that, wouldn't have had a clue what it was called.  But in first couple of years of Reebok it was a cracking pub with a decent matchday atmosphere pre and post match, Sky Sports on etc.  A shame that went because nothing has replaced it for me.  In the first year the British Aerospace opposite Barnstormers was open and I thought this would be the future, hundreds of us in there and pie and peas type grub, but us moving there coincided with its demise.  That pub further down the same road who's name escapes me and welcomed away fans also went a few years ago, as did the famous Lostock Arms where they did coaches from, that's 4 decent pubs gone and I dont bother any more.  I may do barnstormers again when the matchday buzz returns, I've been leaving home at 2.20 feeling flat for the last couple of years.

21 hours ago, Ghana White said:

Took a few boro fans to barnstormers last few times we've played them at home and they've raved about it, said it changed it from a crap away ground to visit to a good one. Does the beehive still do away fans only? I've heard mates from home say coaches have pulled up on market street westhoughton before matches a few times. 

When I've been along Market St on a Saturday morning I've often seen the Victoria with a sign saying it welcomes away fans.

Don't know what sort of welcome they'd get in there mind!

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'd forgotten about that, wouldn't have had a clue what it was called.  But in first couple of years of Reebok it was a cracking pub with a decent matchday atmosphere pre and post match, Sky Sports on etc.  A shame that went because nothing has replaced it for me.  In the first year the British Aerospace opposite Barnstormers was open and I thought this would be the future, hundreds of us in there and pie and peas type grub, but us moving there coincided with its demise.  That pub further down the same road who's name escapes me and welcomed away fans also went a few years ago, as did the famous Lostock Arms where they did coaches from, that's 4 decent pubs gone and I dont bother any more.  I may do barnstormers again when the matchday buzz returns, I've been leaving home at 2.20 feeling flat for the last couple of years.

Bromilow Arms (aka Bonny Lasses)