Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Jimmy Wagg

gonzo

That's a shame, I think he was good.

Kept the right balance for me, was supportive of all GM clubs whilst being nailed to the mast City fan. Which kept it authentic as any proper footy fan respects the tribal element.

Grew up with him too so will be odd now!

Edited by JimmyRiddle

Always seemed fair and straight to me (rare I will say that about the BBC these days). Not heard him in recent years too much owing to living down south.

Anybody remember before him? Guys like Ian Frame, David Oates (who went on to Five Live but sadly died quite young), Andy Buckley and reporting on BWFC Alan Fullelove? Makes me think of night matches when they played Motown between going around the grounds in the 80s - with Bolton inevitably struggling in some far flung place.

Always really, really liked Jimmy Wagg. I know he's City through and through but I always feel like he genuinely wants the best for all the North West clubs. Natural for radio and always seemed to k ow all the staff at the clubs down to the tea ladies. 

Really sorry to hear we won't be hearing his voice on the radio anymore!

• Site Supporter

I’ll always remember the quiz him and Eamonn O’Neill did. One woman called up and the question was

Which Italian City has a famous leaning tower?

She asked for a clue which set them off laughing. ‘It’s called the leaning tower of Pisa’.

The woman’s answer - Rome

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, blackleywhite said:

The suggestion is he's been retired rather than chosen to which is a shame.

Always thought he had a genuine affection towards us.

Every other club below the Premier league calls the station Bolton fm given the amount of coverage we get hope that continues. 

Im not sure if hes bean ill, maybe cancer, or if that was his mate, eamonn

22 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Remember Piccadilly on a Saturday afternoon used to do all local football and the pre recorded   "OH NO!" Used to be played when a goal against was conceded, you just knew it would be us.

And the "it's a goal" when a goal was scored. 

4 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Had a chat with him after he hosted a quiz night in the Executive suite before the Liverpool final, sound bloke & will be greatly missed by many. 

Me too.  He was a sound bloke imo. We won the quiz too which was a bonus 😉

Almost irreplaceable I’d say. Always considered ourselves quite fortunate that we get so much coverage on GMR. We always have it on in the car on the way to and from home games, and when I was a kid I always listened keenly to the away games, with Jimmy’s presenting being a constant throughout. 

Yeah he was perfect for local radio; it allowed him to be 'familiar' with all the clubs he was reporting on and nearly all the managers and main officials.  Its style of presenting wouldnt fit the same on a national stage, that wasn't his thing.  Clearly a top bloke and very genuine, as is Eamon O'Neill.  Local radio post Wagg-O'Neill-Dearden is not going to be the same, and will speed up its demise.  Wagg sounded as 'young' and enthusiastic this year as he did in the 80s, so its a strange one if he's been moved aside.

1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Not for me 

very much “little bolton” tag by him

also who listens to the radio these days 

If I go anywhere by car its on permanently, for sport, music, news or chat.  Working at home in lockdown, I have it on most of the working day but not usually live, I pick the best programmes from BBC Sounds or listen to a programme an hour or 2 behind so that I can cut out the worst songs etc.