Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Jimmy Wagg

gonzo

13 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not locally. He’s often on Sky Soccer Saturday at some lower division outpost, on a dodgy phone line like the old days.  He’s the match day announcer at lancs county cricket as well as being very active in darts as said above, hosting tournaments and commentating. After dinner speaker too. I always associate him with doing the Oldham matches on GMR under Joe Royle, made it sound really exciting.

1 hour ago, Alf Hartigan said:

If it was a selfie of jack it’s not technically a selfie. If he asked for a selfie of Ashburner it’s a bit creepy.

add me to the Jimmy Wagg fans. Could listen to his Radio show all day

Ok he asked Ashburner St for a photo.

With the hotel bar in the back ground , with 2 pints of foaming White Horse placed within reaches distance.

Still alive I think, he mentions him from time to time although obviously that's not a good indicator.

I'm sure his wife died in the last couple of years so he's having a shitty run of it lately.

Regional programming is based on folk like Dearden and Wagg and I think it's still important to a lot of people and it's part of our identity, I know others will think it's just bollocks and not important though.

Loved Jimmy Wagg on Radio Manc. Dyed-in-the-wool Massive but fair play to him he was always bigging up all North West teams. Always wanted the best, be it City, us, Macc, whoever. Had a right ding dong with him once live on air about Rugby League. Funny as fuck and put me right in my place. Good luck to him whatever he does

11 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Hope he continues for many a year, suspect that his brush with cancer might mean he won’t. 

Since he does the wanderer podcast along with other people i dont see him winding down yet.

I do wish he would stick just to commentating though.

Sad news, I've listened to GMR on the way to and from games ever since I've been going.

Jimmy always seemed a really decent bloke and was a very good presenter. Hopefully whoever they replace him with won't be a massive cunt.