Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Who would live in Bolton?

crawshawbooth

15 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I did some summer work in the warehouse opposite Morrisons across the street from Mo's bakery (work boots for sale in the pie cabinet?!). It felt like a step into the 1800's in that warehouse, orrible.

My bro in law lives on Shrewsbury Road just off Beverley Road. Watching an Uber driver try and get between the double parked cars up that street is interesting.

Did he do part exchange?? Cos from memory, his bacon and sausage barms tasted like old work boots. 

18 minutes ago, boogs said:

Did he do part exchange?? Cos from memory, his bacon and sausage barms tasted like old work boots. 

I was thankfully still at the age where I went to summer work with a pre packed lunch so never got to try them 😀

13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Mo's wasn't the most salubrious of places, but was OK for grub. Didn't he have second hand books available too, or am I dreaming that?

No you didn't dream it. He always seemed a sound bloke but it was just a bit of an odd place to go in really. 

Just worked it out. Lived in Bolton 32 years and elsewhere for 24

Would I move back? Doubtful. I like being nearer Manc with the easier travel into the centre, easier travel to the airport and the fact that I don’t have to face the A666 or M61 in the morning for work

Next move for me is most likely to be up the M66 towards Rammy and that area

• Site Supporter

Been out of Daisy Hill now for over ten years now I’m over in Heywood and a brief spell in Henley on Thames. 

Bolton is always home and always is referred to as that when I’m asked, trying to install that Boltonian pride into my lad and it’s working, well certainly for the football whenever he’s asked if he’s a red or a blue he sticks out the chest and says I’m a Wanderer. 

it is a proud thing to say I’m from Bolton. Proper town we are. 

Despite that, Don’t think I’d move back now, when we moved a couple of years ago viewed a house in Chew Moor which we nearly went for but nothing came of it. I’m settled over here now!

I miss Howfen for a drink though and going to my old cricket club. 

2 hours ago, superjohnmcginlay said:

Been out of Daisy Hill now for over ten years now I’m over in Heywood and a brief spell in Henley on Thames. 

Bolton is always home and always is referred to as that when I’m asked, trying to install that Boltonian pride into my lad and it’s working, well certainly for the football whenever he’s asked if he’s a red or a blue he sticks out the chest and says I’m a Wanderer. 

it is a proud thing to say I’m from Bolton. Proper town we are. 

Despite that, Don’t think I’d move back now, when we moved a couple of years ago viewed a house in Chew Moor which we nearly went for but nothing came of it. I’m settled over here now!

I miss Howfen for a drink though and going to my old cricket club. 

Get ya self back here.

Loads of pubs and 38c's

On 06/08/2020 at 20:43, gonzo said:

In a similar vein I’m the same with the sea. Couldn’t imagine living away from it. 

Its like a comfort blanket, it’s always there roaring away no matter what else is going on. 

Plus one mate. 32 years and counting, I could not envisage ever waking and not hearing or seeing the sea..............

You only have to look at some of the famous people that decide to  live here and also  some of the house prices in the borough to see there is money in the town if it was a shit place to live they would of all fucked off 

Edited by Farnywhite

10 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

If you’re claiming Daisy Hill station then you might as well claim Rosehill as a second Holt’s pub. 

Heaton is a weird one. £1m+ houses on CNR, but where other half used to live behind COR Morrisons was pretty ropey even 5-6 years ago. 

The rose hill

is The Bug !!!

Dont ask why , I have not got a clue

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, embankment said:

Get ya self back here.

Loads of pubs and 38c's

Always had plenty of pubs hasn’t it! 

Grey Mare, Cross Guns. Commercial, Greyhound. The Bridge, Bug, Lion. Sheaf, Vic, Red Lion, Blue Lion, Three Crowns, White Horse, Duke of Welly, Rose and Crown,  Wingates Labour Club. Windmill, Grey Man. 

21 hours ago, Ghana White said:

Westhoughton wise I've never understood casa nostras success, it's a pretty average Italian but it's like mecca to cow heads always packed, my parents still live in westhoughton and they love it.. Charlies is a lot better then it was, certainly better then when Charlie was there spitting in the chip fat.

Aye, I much prefer La Scala.

You deserve a clip round the ear for your comment about Charlie though.  He was a lovely guy.  Chips were great too.  Cant imagine he's still with us sadly.  The slightly racist and scurrilous rumour in the 70s/80s was his wife used to pick her nose over the chips.  

Yep agreed on la scala. I'm only bitter against Charlie because he chased my mates and me for kicking a ball against the chippy. I never heard the one about his wife but the spitting in the chips one was repeated as fact by everyone I knew at school. I can remember mates trying to explain it was fine to do it and it was a great way to check if the oil was hot enough.

Off topic but been back a few times in last couple of years and been surprised what a good night out westhoughton is becoming. 

Just now, Ghana White said:

Yep agreed on la scala. I'm only bitter against Charlie because he chased my mates and me for kicking a ball against the chippy. I never heard the one about his wife but the spitting in the chips one was repeated as fact by everyone I knew at school. I can remember mates trying to explain it was fine to do it and it was a great way to check if the oil was hot enough.

Off topic but been back a few times in last couple of years and been surprised what a good night out westhoughton is becoming. 

Market St is great .

Wheatsheaf ( howfens Hogarths )

Koo ( posh bints, 38c's)

The Beer School ( variety , great staff) Secret beer garden.

The Bank ( flat cap)

The Brewery Tap ( tasty beers)

Spoons ( beer garden wiv lift) in place for 20yr olds.

The Vic ( not rights)

The White Lion ( historic)

Reform Club.( bowling green , fosters ).

4 hours ago, deane koontz said:

Only been once since the revamp..about 18 months ago seemed pretty quite. Went to the The Vic too..twas scruffy cunt central 😀

The Vic is for the not rights that cant get in anywhere else. Not recommended by longer term resident after i moved over :lol: