Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Kids Footy

HomerJay

51 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Not really that you'll notice. Main thing is the national recruitment and eductaion, so if Burnley offer eductaion, they'll either put the lads in a local high school, or take them out of ther own school for a day a week and give them a bit more training. They dont have to offer it and the kids dont have to take it.

You  may get some lads who re-locate from other parts of the country to come and play - there's not many who do it at a young age, unless they're total superstars, because they don't want to move house and school when they're 11, and in all honesty they usually go to united, city, liverpool or a london club.

We left city because it's too far, we live 40 miles away from Etihad, so I was having to finish work early, and he was having to get out of school early to try and avoid the rush hour on the motorways so we could get to training on time,  and then he'd fall asleep in the car on the way home, not want to do any homework when he got back, was a nightmare. Did it for about 18 months.

I can get to lostock in under 25 mins, so ideal.

A lad out of his class plays for Stoke, with part time education - once a week a mini bus picks him up at 7am and drops him home in the early evening - but his dad has to drive to stoke and back 3 times a week, it takes 4 and a half hours out of his day every time, and costs him about £200 a month in petrol, he gets nothing back.   

Travelling isn't so bad at first, and all the dads are eager when the kids are young, watching all the training sessions. When they get to 14 and you've been doing it for 4 days a week for 8 years, the novelty wears off, the conversations with the same people become more boring 

Burnley are quite stingy- cant blame it on umbro or puma previously; no fuel expenses, limited training wear that we have to number ourselves, the only freebies have a pair of gloves a season- firstly from precision and now umbro. When you see opposing teams with matching bags, boots, trainers they look more professional. Feyenoord even more so- the whole set up seems better on the continent as a whole.

13 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

Burnley are quite stingy- cant blame it on umbro or puma previously; no fuel expenses, limited training wear that we have to number ourselves, the only freebies have a pair of gloves a season- firstly from precision and now umbro. When you see opposing teams with matching bags, boots, trainers they look more professional. Feyenoord even more so- the whole set up seems better on the continent as a whole.

Under Ken Anderson, bwfc kit was embarassing. I spent over £200 most seasons buying extra kit, and some of it is basic stuff like a raincoat and socks - he's had one bag in 6 years, never had a bench coat, some kit given that's too small, some would fit a grown man, playing matches in 5 yr old kits. was much better last season, and we got a discount if we wanted to buy extra stuff.

Team coaches to far away matches dissapeared, nowhere to shelter from weather at the academy - a burger van closed half the time - not good mate

Edited by peelyfeet

1 minute ago, peelyfeet said:

under Ken Anderson, bwfc kit was embarassing. I spent over £200 most seasons buying extra kit, and some of it is basic stuff like a raincoat and socks - he's had one bag in 6 years, never had a bench coat, some kit given that's too small, some would fit a grown man, playing matches in 5 yr old kits. was much better last season, and we got a discount if we wanted to buy extra stuff.

I noticed that when they came to Barnfield: always had games at Lostock cancelled- much to my frustration. I remember those dark days of just over a year ago when we didnt know whether their would be a game at all

my daughter played for the girls until 16- I noticed some of the training shorts the first team using now are the same design; hopefully been replenished since then!

1 minute ago, Dr Faustus said:

I noticed that when they came to Barnfield: always had games at Lostock cancelled- much to my frustration. I remember those dark days of just over a year ago when we didnt know whether their would be a game at all

my daughter played for the girls until 16- I noticed some of the training shorts the first team using now are the same design; hopefully been replenished since then!

it looks to me like they're on the up,  I hope so for the lads sake.

It's a shame, because most of the lads who are U13 upwards joined when BWFC was Cat1.

Before my lad signed we were sold that signing for BWFC would be just as good as city, united, liverpool in terms of  quality and amount of coaching, and game programme/facilities etc but better because they'll get a chance to break into the 1st team earlier

They've had nothing like the coaching of Cat 1's, the facilites have got worse and the lads can't leave without someone paying tens of thousands of £.  

Anderson has a lot to answer for.

7 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

it looks to me like they're on the up,  I hope so for the lads sake.

It's a shame, because most of the lads who are U13 upwards joined when BWFC was Cat1.

Before my lad signed we were sold that signing for BWFC would be just as good as city, united, liverpool in terms of  quality and amount of coaching, and game programme/facilities etc but better because they'll get a chance to break into the 1st team earlier

They've had nothing like the coaching of Cat 1's, the facilites have got worse and the lads can't leave without someone paying tens of thousands of £.  

Anderson has a lot to answer for.

That especially bugs me, poor kids being caught in limbo if they are told they have no future, but too much of an asset to be given away. The turnover of coaching has been a little alarming: the original foundation coach at Burnley now heads up at Liverpool, the GK coach won an FA award, and is now Utd 1st assistant keeper coach, another working with Juve. There has been some continuity, but if the new guy doesnt like what he sees, where will be in 12 months?

Oh ans sweat is a c#nt

Edited by Dr Faustus

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

Can I ask; and this isn’t a reflection on anything said in this thread, but by and large, who has the greatest ambition to become a pro-footballer, parent or child?

His; Whilst I have fith in him, I dont for second expect him to make it pro. The last thing he needs is my pressure and expectations weighing him down, he hears it from others. I keep his feet on the ground and allow him to enjoy his journey. At the age of 10 he's played some of the biggest clubs in Europe (awarded man of the match v Real Madrid), and travelled extensively. As a family we have made friends in Holland and Portugal.

I dont want him to make the mistake I did and turn his back on playing; I gave up too young, and stopped coaching before I'd even really started. He loves football, as I did and if you do something you love, you'll never work a day in your life. He helps me out coaching the younger ones, and has expressed an interest in taking his badges when he is old enough. I never knew what I wanted I to do, and drifted aimlessly through my life for a long time... The one thing I have constantly said to my kids is to discover what you want to do, and go do it- we'll support you however we can.

Even if Noah doesn't make the grade, he'll have fun on the way and still be damn good footballer with loads of memories; enjoy it while you can son

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

I actually meant from your observations of other parents on the sidelines. 

I know a parent who it’s all about him. He another team from same club as my lads. Screaming and balling at his kids from sideline. Ordered his kid to “get in and snap” another kid during one game I witnessed.

His lad is now at Fleetwood academy and to be fair is a really good player but he’s in tears most games. 

3 hours ago, gonzo said:

I know a parent who it’s all about him. He another team from same club as my lads. Screaming and balling at his kids from sideline. Ordered his kid to “get in and snap” another kid during one game I witnessed.

His lad is now at Fleetwood academy and to be fair is a really good player but he’s in tears most games. 

What a cunt....

23 hours ago, gonzo said:

Knobhead. There's loads.   The academies don't allow it, which educates some of the parents. You don't hear much, from the sidelines, just encouragment usually.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

Knobhead. There's loads.   The academies don't allow it, which educates some of the parents. You don't hear much, from the sidelines, just encouragment usually.

My neighbour does/did a bit of coaching. Ended up having to ref a kids game, and one of the parents piped up.

He blew up and halted the game, and told the individual that the game would be abandoned if it continued. 

He received some abuse, but it had the desired effect.

He explained at the time that he was thinking of fucking it off though- didnt need the hassle.

Not sure if he has since or not, but what a shame that such situations occur.

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

My neighbour does/did a bit of coaching. Ended up having to ref a kids game, and one of the parents piped up.

He blew up and halted the game, and told the individual that the game would be abandoned if it continued. 

He received some abuse, but it had the desired effect.

He explained at the time that he was thinking of fucking it off though- didnt need the hassle.

Not sure if he has since or not, but what a shame thbeat such situations occur.

Happens all the time, everywhere. My lad played in the Salford league, for Ladybridge before he was signed at 8, happened probably every other week.  Two of the rival clubs in the league were so bad, they had to have FA representatives attend their matches to calm it down, the lads playing are 6,7,8 yrs old.

If you go on any FA level 1 or safeguarding courses now, large sections of it are how to deal with parents / bad coaches. 

Edited by peelyfeet

8 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

you can mate - get yourself down to the Eddie Davis in full kit every morning, and do a load of keepy ups by the entrance, you'll soon get picked up.

Cheers pal. I’ll do just that. I’ll bring a few tinnys down.

4 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Happens all the time, everywhere. My lad played in the Salford league, for Ladybridge before he was signed at 8, happened probably every other week.  Two of the rival clubs in the league were so bad, they had to have FA representatives attend their matches to calm it down, the lads playing are 6,7,8 yrs old.

If you go on any FA level 1 or safeguarding courses now, large sections of it are how to deal with parents / bad coaches. 

Sad really. You can see how some of these lads fall out with the game. I think sometimes parents lines get blurred on wanting best for their kid and themselves.

On 21/08/2020 at 09:54, MickyD said:

I actually meant from your observations of other parents on the sidelines. 

ah 🙂

tbf most parents are grounded, quite a few are former academy players themselves and know the pitfalls. the grass roots and trialists that come in can be quite arrogant, and dismissive of other players as they've seen their childs abilities at a lower standard. its different when you are playing at that higher level; its not just who has the best shot, but ability to develop, to follow instructions, to ask questions etc.

I've seen kids with tons of ability, but their parents push and push and their behaviour on the sidelines is generally worse, especially the better the team. some coaches can be as bad, i've stopped fights before now. i've seem some horror stories re parents expectations and how they treat their kids. 

some coaches chase trophies, and really think results are the be all and end all 

oh, and if i get any grief whilst reffing i offer the whistle to them, they soon stop.

31 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

ah 🙂

tbf most parents are grounded, quite a few are former academy players themselves and know the pitfalls. the grass roots and trialists that come in can be quite arrogant, and dismissive of other players as they've seen their childs abilities at a lower standard. its different when you are playing at that higher level; its not just who has the best shot, but ability to develop, to follow instructions, to ask questions etc.

I've seen kids with tons of ability, but their parents push and push and their behaviour on the sidelines is generally worse, especially the better the team. some coaches can be as bad, i've stopped fights before now. i've seem some horror stories re parents expectations and how they treat their kids. 

some coaches chase trophies, and really think results are the be all and end all 

oh, and if i get any grief whilst reffing i offer the whistle to them, they soon stop.

What would you do if some clever cunt took you up on the offer? 😁

1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

We had a right soft arse ref last thursday basically a parent called for a pen not aggressive or used bad language and the ref ordered him away from the field or the game got pulled

I don’t get aggressive but I certainly get pumped up watching the lad play 

Rolling round the pitch like the dads on football factory at sparkly clog away :D

• Site Supporter

I’ve spent years with kids football at various levels ( not academy) and can safely say parents are the worse 

I’ve seen parents come to blows at the end of a u12 match while the players were all sliding down the bankings together having a laugh and forgot about the game.

though must admit, I have also seen some absolute gobshite “ coaches” in that time toobut in the main, parents reciting what they’ve heard on match of the day and thinking they’re experts are the worse.