Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Dogs and the vets

bolton_blondie

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, Winchester White said:

TMGJ - I come the dogs food because he is a fussy little bastard.

But, the family tell me his breath could melt bank vaults (I have no sense of smell thank fuck). What do you recommend? We try and brush his teeth but frankly it is a waste of time and you risk losing a digit every time.

Seems brushing is recommended, but I found this and it.might he worth doing.

https://www.roscoesbedandbark.com/wp2/7-natural-solutions-stinky-dog-breath/

I sometimes put turmeric in our dogs' food, for joints etc, but it seems to do everything so that might also be an option.

Mine do get manky breath from time to time too, I suppose its impossible to be prefect given the things they pick up and pick though.

• Members
25 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Have put my name forward earlier to rehome a rescue dog. 18 month old staffie/American bulldog cross. 

Yes mate!

I love staffie, my mams mate had one when I was growing up called Duke, the friendliest dog you could ever meet. Bloody loved him

Owners just decided they didn’t want him is what I’ve been told. Too strong on the lead for them. What did they expect?

apparently very well mannered can be left in the house for a few hours and isn’t any other  he’s currently in a foster home  

gets on with other dogs when out as well which is a good sign  

my mate has a staffie and it’s the love of my life  I could spend all day everyday with it  can’t explain it given it’s not my dog

but my mum always had rescue dogs so I thought rather than pay some breeder 3k for a pup I would go down the rescue route. But I’ve been waiting for right one. Just hope I get him  

6 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Owners just decided they didn’t want him is what I’ve been told. Too strong on the lead for them. What did they expect?

apparently very well mannered can be left in the house for a few hours and isn’t any other  he’s currently in a foster home  

my mate has a staffie and it’s the love of my life  I could spend all day everyday with it  can’t explain it given it’s not my dog

but my mum always had rescue dogs so I thought rather than pay some breeder 3k for a pup I would go down the rescue route. But I’ve been waiting for right one. Just hope I get him  

best of luck 

i dont know how they are sorting stuff out in these times

always used to be a follow up visit to your home for rescues

if he can be happy with you in the car is a big plus

• Members
9 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Fair play to you pal, I’d love a rescue dog but the Mrs did want to take the risk with a baby which I thought was bollocks but she wasn’t for budging

2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Fair play to you pal, I’d love a rescue dog but the Mrs did want to take the risk with a baby which I thought was bollocks but she wasn’t for budging

Tbf don’t think I would take the risk in that scenario. Just never know do you. 
if I dont get this one I shall keep looking. 

• Members
2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

1 minute ago, crawshawbooth said:

your Mrs was right , you would have never forgiven yourself if !!

She’s probably right, not that I’d admit it. Her uncle said they got a Jack Russell rescue, it snapped at him and he gave it a warning, few months later it snapped at the grandkid, so he went and put it down 

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Double check it’s an American bulldog not pit bull. They are fucking lunatics.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Escobarp said:

Looks like an American by its head Shape I would say but in saying that I’m no expert. Would the rescue shelter not have verified that somehow?

Probably, but they aren’t always accurate apparently (not having a pop, these are amazing people doing a shitty job).

May also be worth having a vet check the dog over independently, you’re probably prepared for it, but if there’s something wrong the bills can quickly rack up and insurance companies won’t pay out more than once.

Sounds all a bit cold, but my missus sees all sorts and this is her advice.

American Bulldogs generally look like stocky boxers or mastiffs with their jowels.  Pit bulls have more squared off features.

I used to do a lot of voluntary work at Bleakholt and the amount of staffies and staffy crosses that were in there was heart breaking. The overwhelming majority were lovely dogs that had had the misfortune to be owned by bellends who soon gave up on them.  Once in a while though, there was the odd one that came in that looked and behaved like an absolute monster.

I was only bitten twice and both times it was by collies.  Probably frustrated at the lack of exercise. 

• Members
12 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Looks like an American by its head Shape I would say but in saying that I’m no expert. Would the rescue shelter not have verified that somehow?

If one of the staff is missing a face it’s a pitbull 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Spider said:

Probably, but they aren’t always accurate apparently (not having a pop, these are amazing people doing a shitty job).

May also be worth having a vet check the dog over independently, you’re probably prepared for it, but if there’s something wrong the bills can quickly rack up and insurance companies won’t pay out more than once.

You're right there. Once got a rescue lurcher, that was identified as a wolfhound cross by the vets.

Found ear tatoos and traced his breeder. He was border/bearded collie and greyhound.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Appreciate the advice mate 👍🏻 So if I get a vet to check it out this will then help with the insurance? I’m already talking like I’ve actually got the dog  might not get it yet 😔

1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

American Bulldogs generally look like stocky boxers or mastiffs with their jowels.  Pit bulls have more squared off features.

I used to do a lot of voluntary work at Bleakholt and the amount of staffies and staffy crosses that were in there was heart breaking. The overwhelming majority were lovely dogs that had had the misfortune to be owned by bellends who soon gave up on them.  Once in a while though, there was the odd one that came in that looked and behaved like an absolute monster.

I was only bitten twice and both times it was by collies.  Probably frustrated at the lack of exercise. 

Yes it’s the jowels that had me convinced it was an American bulldog. 

On 26/11/2020 at 20:24, Spider said:

...Rawhide will do the job just as well.

I heard it keeps those doggies rollin'...

I sort of kidnap relatives dogs these days - show them how to raise a hound the right way.

Years ago I was with a girl (massive dd easy on a slimmish frame - these days she's just massive). Anyhow they had a massive waist high staff cross that the novelty had wore off with - so I took him under my wing, long walks and play fights and looking after him when they went away etc. One time, both pissed we got into a bit of a fight (the dad not the dog) - I was honestly in the right and twenty odd years his junior barely out of my teens too so he should've known better - they were quite a 'well-to-do/aspirational' family 'an all. I found it really funny that the dog weighed in on my side and started badly savaging his owner - Maximus's dog in 'Gladiator' style 😀 He (the dog) obviously knew which side his bread was buttered.

I'd love a dog but I'm on mi tod and out a lot, wouldn't be fair - plus I don't think I could hack the inevitable yet another time.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

No dog for esco. Been reserved for another family. Apparently as they can’t do home checks I won’t be able to rehome a rescue dog for the foreseeable which is quite sad really. Covid really is a cunt 

How do they check the other family?

• Site Supporter
19 hours ago, Escobarp said:

No dog for esco. Been reserved for another family. Apparently as they can’t do home checks I won’t be able to rehome a rescue dog for the foreseeable which is quite sad really. Covid really is a cunt 

American bulldog on the telly this morning. 1-2 years old and available at Yorkshire rspca. 

Weighs 40kg and is bilingual. 

Goes by the name of Hector, and he was unresponsive to English commands so they tried other languages and found he responds to German. Currently being taught English ones with gestures too.

Be perfect with your avatar.