Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

League Cup Draw

Benny The Ball

16 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Tried getting a ticket online, but it doesn't seem to be working... :)

Would anyone actually consider going and hanging around/having a beer?

If you do get a pint of moretti at Lucianos - amazing. 

I wonder if we've ever played a League Cup game on a Saturday.

I'd be happy for us to progress and play more games for the squad to gell, and to give more chances for everyone to show what they can do.  Unless we get a long term injury in a cup tie, in which case I'd prefer an early exit.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, farnworth white said:

Yes, they normally close the shutters on an occupied room on a match day unless you are fortunate to get a room (1 of 2)in the corner near the scoreboard where there are no shutters.

To stop someone distracting players by shagging a brass up against the window?

1 minute ago, farnworth white said:

Yes, they normally close the shutters on an occupied room on a match day unless you are fortunate to get a room (1 of 2)in the corner near the scoreboard where there are no shutters.

Is it an efl rule or do they just do it so folk can't get the room and watch the game? If the latter could be a decent wedge in it for the hotel/club if they marketed it while doors to the stadium are closed...

There will probably be a government rule against it.  Otherwise the next logical step is to allow "meetings" to take place in the suites that overlook the pitch.  For me there's no reason why it cant happen, socially distanced, but you just know it will be illegal.  The big Prem clubs would be selling them to the highest bidder if it was an option.

Why on earth would there be a government rule about it? Nothing to do with the law, just the clubs decision surely? Controlling the number of people in the room might be the reason they’d shutter it but it seems much more logical to up the room price and leave the shutters up.

20 minutes ago, blackleywhite said:

Is it an efl rule or do they just do it so folk can't get the room and watch the game? If the latter could be a decent wedge in it for the hotel/club if they marketed it while doors to the stadium are closed...

On Match Days in the Hotel Restaurant / and  Lounge areas that overlook the pitch and in the suites ( not private boxes ) they draw curtains across immediately before kick off - I always understood it was something to do with Alcohol / Licencing Laws and not being allowed to consume alcohol in sight of a game ? 

Edited by Benny The Ball

10 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

There will probably be a government rule against it.  Otherwise the next logical step is to allow "meetings" to take place in the suites that overlook the pitch.  For me there's no reason why it cant happen, socially distanced, but you just know it will be illegal.  The big Prem clubs would be selling them to the highest bidder if it was an option.

How many other clubs have a separate hotel that overlooks the pitch though?

1 minute ago, Benny The Ball said:

On Match Days in the Hotel Restaurant / and  Lounge areas that overlook the pitch and in the suites ( not private boxes ) they draw curtains across immediately before kick off - I always understood it was something to do with Alcohol / Licencing Laws and not being allowed to consume alcohol in sight of a game ? 

Close the bar then? Or no alcohol in rooms?

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Why on earth would there be a government rule about it? Nothing to do with the law, just the clubs decision surely? Controlling the number of people in the room might be the reason they’d shutter it but it seems much more logical to up the room price and leave the shutters up.

why on earth would there not?

if the rules is "no spectators", then these would be classed as spectators wouldnt they?

28 minutes ago, blackleywhite said:

How many other clubs have a separate hotel that overlooks the pitch though?

I've no idea, but presumably the argument extends to conferencing and hospitality facilities with views of the pitch, which the majority of clubs will have.  And no doubt the likes of Arsenal and Spurs grounds could accommodate several hundred in total. 

The Aussies argued, successfully, that they should be allowed to open hospitality suites for NRL games before the general public were allowed back in, basically on the premise that pubs were back open. Can't remember whether they were allowed outside or if they had to watch from behind glass.

I know one or two non league clubs have been allowed to open their clubhouse - overlooking the pitch - as they're a bar but aren't allowed to have fans through the turnstiles. Of course, there is always going to be a crossover between a bar being open on a Saturday afternoon and a friendly going on behind closed doors at the same time...

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I've no idea, but presumably the argument extends to conferencing and hospitality facilities with views of the pitch, which the majority of clubs will have.  And no doubt the likes of Arsenal and Spurs grounds could accommodate several hundred in total. 

There are some grey areas - I have a business contact whose Corporate Box at a Rugby League Ground doubles up as his office accommodation