Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

EFL Trophy 2020/2021

Leyther_Matt

1 hour ago, Farnywhite said:

I had same problem Saturday couldn’t find it on dodgy box so tried to pay for it and it was saying next game Crewe took it left it to late to purchase someone else commentated the same on Saturday 

That was me. Exactly the same issue as Kent had tonight, left it late and, other than season passes, only the Crewe game for tonight was showing. I asked on here and somebody supplied a link which shown the Bradford game but as it was twenty minutes into the game already I didn't bother.

It really needs to be slicker as the club are losing revenue when this happens.

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, tkonion said:

That was me. Exactly the same issue as Kent had tonight, left it late and, other than season passes, only the Crewe game for tonight was showing. I asked on here and somebody supplied a link which shown the Bradford game but as it was twenty minutes into the game already I didn't bother.

It really needs to be slicker as the club are losing revenue when this happens.

Whats your internet speed? 🥴🙄

It's not the defenders that are the issue, most very capable at this level, plenty of experience, big strong and quick. It's the system they're being asked to play already being exposed 2 real games that is. 

By asking your central defenders to drive beyond the midfield and be the catalysts for attacks it's always going to leave you exposed and I really don't think it's necessary. I get the idea, it's to overload defences and deep blocks to make them commit on an overloaded side which opens gaps elsewhere. 

In all honesty though I just want my 6'5" centre half to win the ball back and give it to a midfielder or a rapid wing back and let them do the fancy stuff first. Let's start keeping clean sheets and dominating teams into having to sit incredibly deep and then we can bring back the idea of marauding centre half's dragging 3 players out of position in the opposition's defensive formation. Right now I want to see the simple stuff working before we reinvent the wheel. 

Edited by meanderson93

24 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

It's not the defenders that are the issue, most very capable at this level, plenty of experience, big strong and quick. It's the system they're being asked to play already being exposed 2 real games that is. 

By asking your central defenders to drive beyond the midfield and be the catalysts for attacks it's always going to leave you exposed and I really don't think it's necessary. I get the idea, it's to overload defences and deep blocks to make them commit on an overloaded side which opens gaps elsewhere. 

In all honesty though I just want my 6'5" centre half to win the ball back and give it to a midfielder or a rapid wing back and let them do the fancy stuff first. Let's start keeping clean sheets and dominating teams into having to sit incredibly deep and then we can bring back the idea of marauding centre half's dragging 3 players out of position in the opposition's defensive formation. Right now I want to see the simple stuff working before we reinvent the wheel. 

Good post, point well made.

33 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

He's starting as he means to go on. This is exactly the time we should be playing like that because these are nothing games with no league points available.  If you couldn't see an improvement on Saturday then God help you.

With the defense I'd personally like to see how Jones would do on the right of the back three where Brock played tonight with Hickman as the direct attacking wing back based on the last two games, you don't need every centre back to be 6'4. Jones isn't as ambitious getting down the byline, looks to turn back to keep possession with safety in mind but is very tidy & composed with being a former centre midfielder which would suit him bringing the ball out of the three he would also find himself in familiar positions as he would playing as a right back when the defense splits. For our wingbacks they are so important we need them to be our main service providers and Hickman is very dangerous due to the pace & crossing variation in his game. Gordon will start due to fitness but Mascoll may be better suited given the chance we'll have to see.

We might lose a few games by being too open this year. But I tell you something we will absolutely terrorize a few teams this season too. Early goal and we will set about some of them in a big way. Been a long time since I’ve even thought like that never mind expected it. 

Just now, Escobarp said:

We might lose a few games by being too open this year. But I tell you something we will absolutely terrorize a few teams this season too. Early goal and we will set about some of them in a big way. Been a long time since I’ve even thought like that never mind expected it. 

Aye. It's worth bearing in mind we were playing a team from a higher divsion tonight, as hard as that is to comprehend given it was Crewe.

The lack of defensive shape out of possession is a massive problem for us though.

I think Evatt's system works when we dominate possession. Tonight we didn't / weren't able to do that.

5 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Aye. It's worth bearing in mind we were playing a team from a higher divsion tonight, as hard as that is to comprehend given it was Crewe.

The lack of defensive shape out of possession is a massive problem for us though.

I think Evatt's system works when we dominate possession. Tonight we didn't / weren't able to do that.

As has been said we will play plenty much worse the Crewe and Bradford too.
Win Saturday and it’s all systems go