Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Work place accidents

• Site Supporter

Put a tiny pebble through an old dear's window this afternoon. 

Usually feel it when the strimmer flicks a stone, but not this time, must have been tiny. Heard a big bang but thought something had happened behind me, couldn't see anything. Then looked in front and an entire window panel completely crazed with a tiny hole clean through it.

What a bastard. 

5 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Twat. I once worked as a waiter in the Coppull moor restaurant. The guy who owned it asked me to go in the loft to get some boxes, tripped up whilst in there and put my leg through the ceiling. 

Haha, you sound like Frank Spencer 🤣 

16 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Usually feel it when the strimmer flicks a stone, but not this time, must have been tiny. Heard a big bang but thought something had happened behind me, couldn't see anything. Then looked in front and an entire window panel completely crazed with a tiny hole clean through it.

What a bastard. 

Bit of luck she won’t notice it pal.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Bit of luck she won’t notice it pal.

She didn't at first!

Said she'd heard a bang but didn't check, but once I'd seen it, had to own up.

Could hear the glass still cracking, lad recorded it! :)

The number of gardeners I see not wearing eye protection makes me wince. Can lose an eye in an instant.

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

She didn't at first!

Said she'd heard a bang but didn't check, but once I'd seen it, had to own up.

Could hear the glass still cracking, lad recorded it! :)

The number of gardeners I see not wearing eye protection makes me wince. Can lose an eye in an instant.

should put protection on the windows mate 😃 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

should put protection on the windows mate 😃 

Don't go there, please. You'll be giving the hse ideas!

All the years I've been doing it, both at the council and for myself, its the first time I've wrecked a window.

Plenty of previous 'gentle pebble dashing' on vehicles, but no destruction. 

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Don't go there, please. You'll be giving the hse ideas!

All the years I've been doing it, both at the council and for myself, its the first time I've wrecked a window.

Plenty of previous 'gentle pebble dashing' on vehicles, but no destruction. 

One of ours knackered a phone line last weekend in Farnworth....the client wasn't too impressed  😆 

• Members

Apologies if this is a re run. One of the funniest I ever witnessed was on Lever Street in Bolton. Young apprentice asked to light a propane burner under a bath of whale oil. Silly cunt turns the gas on then wanders off to find a newspaper to roll up to use as a sort of long matchstick.

Comes back, lights the newspaper with a cig lighter then puts his face under the edge of the oil drum to "see what I'm doing". Whhoooofff! Fringe gone, eyebrows and lashes gone and he stumbled round the corner with his clothes smouldering with eyes as big as saucers.

Maximum sympathy - we were all rolling around on the floor laughing. He could be reading this? Step forward Mr. Aplin!

Only yesterday some pig shit thick wagon driver drove up the road at the back of our unit with the grab arm still fully extended upwards, I didn't even think that was possible. He's dragged down every wire up the street leaving about 8 businesses without any phones or Internet. Fuck knows what it'll cost his company but open reach/BT were already on the phone asking who is getting billed for it before the engineers where even on the scene. Folk were shouting and waving at him after the first wire but he didn't stop til he'd done the lot 😂

I remember as a young ‘un i was putting gas on at a freshly (and expensively) renovated stone cottage up Bottom O’th Moor Horwich. I was drilling through a 24” stone wall in order to feed a gas pipe through it. I accidentally drilled through a water pipe and completely flooded the ground floor, it had just had expensive carpets and a brand new kitchen fitted - Doh!.  Happy Days! 😄

When I was serving my time and apprentice 2 years older than me had a shaft in the lathe with a 20mm thread in the end. The numb fucker wrapped emery paper round his finger to polish the face of the shaft and the thread picked it up and screwed his finger into it. I've never heard a scream like it, it was horrible. One of the lads ran round and managed to stop the m/c just before it got to the knuckle. Ambulance and fire brigade decided the only thing they could do was saw the end of shaft off take him hospital and effectively unscrew it off his finger. When a couple of lads went to see him in hospital they took a 20mm nut, to see if it fit 😁

10 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

What a bastard. 

Your liability or hers?

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, boogs said:

When I was serving my time and apprentice 2 years older than me had a shaft in the lathe with a 20mm thread in the end. The numb fucker wrapped emery paper round his finger to polish the face of the shaft and the thread picked it up and screwed his finger into it. I've never heard a scream like it, it was horrible. One of the lads ran round and managed to stop the m/c just before it got to the knuckle. Ambulance and fire brigade decided the only thing they could do was saw the end of shaft off take him hospital and effectively unscrew it off his finger. When a couple of lads went to see him in hospital they took a 20mm nut, to see if it fit 😁

We once set up a pillar drill contraption to work as a milling machine, squaring off some 25kg plastic mouldings - drainage kerbs- with a 25mm cutter

Anyway, it clearly wasn't adequately guarded and one chap decided to knock some swarf off while it was slowing down

Made worse by the fact he was wearing a glove 

Goodbye 2 fingers, hello Trafford Magistrates Court for me