Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

2020/21 Fixtures

matty2094

6 minutes ago, Adlington Trotter said:

Anyone know the reason why some fixtures over the Christmas period are then played again in January? Always found it odd you go so deep into the season until playing a team, then play the reverse fixture about a month later.

It was common to play the same team twice at the start of the season, at Christmas and Easter until the early 70s.

Always fancied Grimsby away; I do however feel like it’s got the ‘watch yourself, it can get tasty around there’ Port Vale vibe about it.

Someone on here can surely confirm or deny this theory? I’ll be there if we’re allowed in the ground by then regardless. 

15 minutes ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Always fancied Grimsby away; I do however feel like it’s got the ‘watch yourself, it can get tasty around there’ Port Vale vibe about it.

Someone on here can surely confirm or deny this theory? I’ll be there if we’re allowed in the ground by then regardless. 

The 93/94 & 94/95 games in our hot summer weather at the time were both away games at Blundell Park on the opening day, Bolton took the place over.

Just now, leigh white said:

The 93/94 & 94/95 games in our hot summer weather at the time were both away games at Blundell Park on the opening day, Bolton took the place over.

One of those years it went off in cleethorpes after the game, it certainly was a place to watch your back rows of terraced houses near the ground perfect for a good kicking 

2 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

One of those years it went off in cleethorpes after the game, it certainly was a place to watch your back rows of terraced houses near the ground perfect for a good kicking 

Never had no mither in Grimsby and been loads of times, only trouble i had was with frostbite in 1980 when we lost 4-0.

34 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Gets a bit nasty the night before and after games as groups of away fans would make a weekend of it in Cleethorpes. 

Aye. Known as the Cleethorpes Beach Patrol, they seek out easy targets of singles/pairs of away fans staying over in Cleethorpes before/after games.

• Site Supporter

The 2nd often away games, at the end of the front at Cleethorpes towards the ground, there’s 2 boozers opposite each other with a big chippy pretty much next door.

Bolton had 1 pub, they had the other. Bolton fan comes out the chippy, lobs his food straight at Grimsby, big brawl ensued on the roundabout. 

All good fun

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Mental pal

despite taking over grimsby had a pop same in 97 always up for it 

if fans are allowed this will be tasty 

Come to think of it, that might have been the day the boot got done in - Boxing Day. It was one or the other. Deff not the 1st season and deff not since

Last time i went mid 90's,we stayed over in Cleethorpes the night of the game. Pubs seemed pretty well organised with bouncers on the door and they had photo's on the walls of local trouble makers who were barred.

That didn't stop the "Beach Patrol" having a mooch though.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

3 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Last time i went mid 90's,we stayed over in Cleethorpes the night of the game. Pubs seemed pretty well organised with bouncers on the door and they had photo's on the walls of local trouble makers who were barred.

That didn't stop the "Beach Patrol" having a mooch though.

Ha ha, i love mug shots in far away towns, a pub in Colwyn Bay was a shocker.😄