Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

5 minutes ago, passmosster said:

I just can't understand where the team at Bristol Rovers last season went. They looked too good for L1. OK Campbell got injured next game.

Evatt has brought in some pretty average players for L2 given the freedom he has been given. And Baptiste is well past his sell by date.

I’m not a Baptiste basher, looks easily good enough for league 2 to me. 

28 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm all for the positive vibes, and it will all come good in the end, but we've lost 3 on the trot now, convincingly.  Our last 3 league games were draws against Accrington, Wimbledon and Burton; we need to improve to say we've got a better team than we had in March.  If I'm honest I'd take the team of 6 months ago to today's starting line up - but part of that is because I'm not sure if the positive additions of White and Sarcevic are enough to replace the flair/attacking intent of Politic, Darcy and Crawford which we appeared to miss today.  Accepting I havent seen it so just going off comments.

when did that team last win a game? 

30 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

As is often the case, having loads of possession isn't a guarantee of winning football matches. They had far less than us and made more of it, aided and abetted by some rank defending from us

Saw the stats, blocks, tackles, interceptions they battered us, passing and possession we were better than them, they were more up for it than we were, but I’m confident we will improve and turn the tables on them. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

8 minutes ago, snowball said:

when did that team last win a game? 

Tranmere 1st of Feb 2-0.  Until we win a game we cant claim bragging rights over last season's team, that's all I'm saying.  That Politic 20 yard goal was the last time I really celebrated as a BW fan, I cant wait to get that feeling back.

• Site Supporter

Only really saw the 2nd half & whilst it's far from perfect ( sloppy goal & a lack of cutting edge) I found plenty to be optimistic about personally. Closing down as a unit, players passing & actually moving, a willingness to show for the ball & set pieces obviously being worked on. It's in its infancy but for me Evatts ethos was there to see.... & this was a team being built from scratch, it needs time to settle & people just need have a bit of patience. 

27 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m not a Baptiste basher, looks easily good enough for league 2 to me. 

He will be rusty and it’s a new team, new style, new coaching methods. He’s easily good enough for that level. 

santos probably the one that worried me today. But it’s all subjective and far too soon to be writing anyone off 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Tranmere 1st of Feb 2-0.  Until we win a game we cant claim bragging rights over last season's team, that's all I'm saying.  That Politic 20 yard goal was the last time I really celebrated as a BW fan, I cant wait to get that feeling back.

Or alternatively we can say this team is better until they haven't won for a few months.... 

Thats exactly how most teams in this league will play at our ground, sit back, be well organized & hit us in behind because our back three look like they run through quick sand. The wing backs didn't get one cross in, Jones looked comfy but they turned back for the easy option they're meant to be the creators in this tactic now whether that was down to being scared to commit due to having to cover the lack of pace in the back 3 thats where Comley should drop back to turn into a back 4 in transition. White & Crellin were two who weren't the most exciting signings put they impressed the most for me. Delfouneso too, the only real pace and tried getting in behind. Sarce was iffy with his passing but very combatant all action & gets himself in the box to support. Doyle ain't scoring if played like this though, he was dropping deep attempting through balls trying to dribble down the wing... He made his name from off the ball movement not on the ball the less involved he is the better. All in all I think we can see we're trying to be a possession based team it's just they lacked the basics first. Also lacking bravery on the ball hopefully can start playing in between the lines & create dangerous situations for our better players to punish teams. Still think we need a striker of a target man sort though, somebody who can come on to bring others into play thats how Quigley was so influential to Evatts style at Barrow. This Morecambe lad seems a waste of a spot, would rather see Amoateng have had his role & see a target man come in. Also worrying that if Evatt changes formation we have no wingers at all now Politic is out, so our wing backs need improve going forward.

2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

From reports, Crellin made a few saves.  Genuine question, did we make their keeper work at all? (apart from the goal).  If not, its clear who the better team were.

On another note, how did Comley play?  Of all the signings who appear to be guaranteed to start, he's the one I'm unsure about.  For 2 of our best players of last season to be left out, I would hope to the replacements are well above average for Div 2.  It seems White and Sarcevic fall into that bracket.

For me Crellin did well Johnny and kept us in the game. Other than White none of our midfield were better than Crawford and Darcy and I expect them both to be in the starting line up soon. We had no goal threat at all mainly because nothing creative was happening in either midfield or out wide. Maybe the new signings just had an off day, maybe pressure got to them but they were generally poor. In fact they looked tense and trying too hard so maybe if they can relax a bit and get to know each other’s game better they will improve. One game isn’t enough to judge anybody so hopefully they’ll be different against Crewe?

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Saw the stats, blocks, tackles, interceptions they battered us, passing and possession we were better than them, they were more up for it than we were, but I’m confident we will improve and turn the tables on them. We

We gave the ball away too many times. Loosing out in a tackle is one thing. But presenting the ball to the opposition is another. There's an argument to be had that they haven't jelled yet, and at least they are trying to create something. But most teams can cope with anyone pissing about with the ball in two thirds of the pitch. The decision making has got to be better. I'm hoping this will improve with every game.

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

So far in 2020 US police have shot dead 242 white men against 123 black men. Just saying.

This has got to go in the same WW archive as - putting a handle on a cricket bat. Sophie Ellis Baxter. And rubbing it with a balloon 🎈

Edited by Underpants

Fookin dogshit!

I know (apparently) that I need to be educated in how to play/watch football (again)

I may be wrong, but The Yorkie Shite Pricks literally had 2 opportunities  ..... & scored both of them!

If you're a manager that used to be a CB! & wants to play 3 Harlem Globetrotters at the back ... at least organise them properly to defend, be strong & dominate the aerial threats, fookin shite! Dickhead.

I was quite proud early days when he became our manager, strong full of conviction etc, crewe & today, becoming a wuss with excuses already like the pricks before him. Sort your shit out, be a man of character. Fook Baptiste off for a start 

Rioch & Allardyce didn't start off too great but built & built quickly, do the same IE, don't become a tart.

I hate losing, I hate losing to Yorkshire shite even more. Give your heads a wobble , sort your shit out, dominated a game & bloody lost! Thanks for the education