Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Crewe Friendly

Johnny Byrom

Pre season friendlies are what they are, just friendly games. You can't read too much into them. No matter what anybody thinks we're in for a tough season. I think we'll go up, but it'll be tight. We're not going to have it easy at all

35 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

We are all guilty of looking too closely into individual results.  2 years ago, about an hour into the 2nd game of the season, we'd beaten WBA away and were 2 up against Bristol City.  McGennis looked like a great signing, and we couldnt believe we'd signed someone as good as Wildshcutt.  The other outfield starters were Olkwoski, Wheater, Beevers, Andy Taylor, Lowe, Murphy, Ameobi, Vela and Buckley.  Only 2 or 3 of those would be an improvement on our current team, but we were on a role.  It means nothing, if you dont have a plan and a way of playing.  That's what we're getting with Evatt, it will come good, I dont care if it takes a few months to see real evidence.

we were great until Oztumer played

• Moderators

I disagree about the keeper, there’s no way a long punt should get through that far, for the second he makes a great save before it’s smashed home. For the third, there’s a 5 on 4 overload. I’d be looking at the defence myself.

Apart from that, I can’t remember a single save being made by either keeper. Thinly veiled!

I'd agree with his positioning/decision making being poor. Its fine to be that far up... if you are gonna go for it.

too close to the defenders for the first

good save on the second, but make it safe

just come and it for the third...

but we can iron it out, thats why we have coaching staff. important thing is not to get on their backs

Got to give it time to gel, new team, new manager. I’m still disappointed, like we all are, but it is pre-season and hopefully we are learning things.

It may end up being a blessing that crowds are not allowed for a few games so there are no additional distractions whilst they get it right.

34 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Got to give it time to gel, new team, new manager. I’m still disappointed, like we all are, but it is pre-season and hopefully we are learning things.

It may end up being a blessing that crowds are not allowed for a few games so there are no additional distractions whilst they get it right.

My mate said exactly that about crowds not being there initially could be a good thing. You can imagine some of the reactions from idiots if we went a goal down against Forest Green and the keeper is giving it to the centre back on the edge of box.

9 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

I just checked,  hoping that you were right.

We won at Atherton, York, Queen of the South and Rotherham in pre season that year.

Well there was certainly a season around that time where we did lose them all.  I went to York and Rotherham 🤣 memory like a sieve

38 minutes ago, tshape said:

My mate said exactly that about crowds not being there initially could be a good thing. You can imagine some of the reactions from idiots if we went a goal down against Forest Green and the keeper is giving it to the centre back on the edge of box.

Aye. I’m hoping by mid October we are starting to look more polished just as the crowds are allowed back.

We have been warned about Crellin from someone on here who’s seen him up close in training at Fleetwood over a long period and when he was on loan at Chorley. I doubt he is going to make it at BWFC or at this level. Think Gilkes is better option. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Other end of the scale but same subject,    when pep arrived at citeh , did they go and win every game 4 nowt form the off !    Did klopp have liverpool playing the way they do now after being there for 3 months .      

Worst thing we could of done was win them nothing practice games 6 and 7 as some of our fickle lot now expect that every game.

In the words of gary Barlow - have a little patience.     

11 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

We are all guilty of looking too closely into individual results.  2 years ago, about an hour into the 2nd game of the season, we'd beaten WBA away and were 2 up against Bristol City.  McGennis looked like a great signing, and we couldnt believe we'd signed someone as good as Wildshcutt.  The other outfield starters were Olkwoski, Wheater, Beevers, Andy Taylor, Lowe, Murphy, Ameobi, Vela and Buckley.  Only 2 or 3 of those would be an improvement on our current team, but we were on a role.  It means nothing, if you dont have a plan and a way of playing.  That's what we're getting with Evatt, it will come good, I dont care if it takes a few months to see real evidence.

great post, exactly right Johnny. 😉

The defending was poor for all 3 goals, especially headers where we’re supposed to be giants but the keeping was lamentable. If the defence don’t have confidence in what’s behind them it can be a nightmare. Crellin is my main concern in this team and last night only confirmed my worries. I sincerely hope it was just a bad night at the office.