Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Crewe Friendly

Johnny Byrom

We had a diabolical pre-season under BSA .Went to Denmark I think & got tonked by some part-timers lost all the games there & then flew to USA .We managed one win there & lost to the USA under 23's before coming home to scrape a win against Bury & draw 0-0 with Chester.

Finished third in the league & won the play-off final in Cardiff.

12 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

We had a diabolical pre-season under BSA .Went to Denmark I think & got tonked by some part-timers lost all the games there & then flew to USA .We managed one win there & lost to the USA under 23's before coming home to scrape a win against Bury & draw 0-0 with Chester.

Finished third in the league & won the play-off final in Cardiff.

Went to that Denmark tour was great trip but yes we got tonked except first game at Brondby. We had load of triallists and had sold quite a few of our better players and Gudni was injured. 

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

We have been warned about Crellin from someone on here who’s seen him up close in training at Fleetwood over a long period and when he was on loan at Chorley. I doubt he is going to make it at BWFC or at this level. Think Gilkes is better option. 

He is a young lad but it is a key position when you are trying to play out from the back and receive pressure passes from your defenders who are getting closed down. Have to be good on the ball and distribute well. Time will tell but so far, I’m not convinced.

Think our midfield is our strongest  area but the system he plays the will be limited scope for both Darcy and White this season

Like many on here i am not convinced with the keeper but Evatt said he is going to be some talent.

Trouble being he is a Fleetwood player.

We have to give Evatt some time and trust his selections/formation

6 minutes ago, white noise said:

He is a young lad but it is a key position when you are trying to play out from the back and receive pressure passes from your defenders who are getting closed down. Have to be good on the ball and distribute well. Time will tell but so far, I’m not convinced.

Last night was the first goals he has conceded  - he didn’t look great but the defence was shocking for the goals. We might see a couple of experienced defenders brought in this week

3 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Last night was the first goals he has conceded  - he didn’t look great but the defence was shocking for the goals. We might see a couple of experienced defenders brought in this week

We have 8 centre halfs at the club need to ship some out on loan

8 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

We have 8 centre halfs at the club need to ship some out on loan

True - the ones from our academy need to go then we are left with Baptiste and players from the National League. I trust him to get these up to this level but it will take time

Edited by RUREADY2ROLL

2 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

I'm happy we've lost these 2 games pre season or not. It brings down the expectations to a perhaps more realistic level. I'd love us to go up but I'm expecting mid table mediocrity for this season. Anything better will be a massive bonus.

Agree with this .Stopping the rot & losing game after game is the priority .Its going to take a bit of time.See a parallel with early seventies when Jimmy Armfield took over.Club was at a low ebb & we started inconsistently, finished quite strongly with a top ten finish.Season after with virtually the same players we won the league .That team was probably a bit younger than Evatt’s.

4 hours ago, tshape said:

My mate said exactly that about crowds not being there initially could be a good thing. You can imagine some of the reactions from idiots if we went a goal down against Forest Green and the keeper is giving it to the centre back on the edge of box.

Playing "total football" is only allowed by us fans if you're in the top 10, minimum.  Thinking of some of the laughable goals Man City concede through messing around, it doesn't matter because they'll win 5-1.  But then look at Norwich and Bournemouth, playing basically the same way, everyone slates them coz they'll lose 3-1.  They'll probably rip up the championship this season playing the same way and get loads of praise for doing what they did this year.  Reading always over play at our place, and look ridiculous, because they aren't good enough to take on 75% of championship teams that way.  Total football is for good teams.  We're only going to accept it from Evatt for as long as we're in a division where we can dominate games, who knows how long that's for.

49 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Totally agree at this level. 

Thing is we've brought in players and staff from this division and below it's going to be a lot tougher than people seem to think.

We've had this wave of optimism following every appointment since FSA (apart from Megson) and apart from minor bright spots it's been overwhelmingly shite.

Stopping the rot is Evatts 1st job, my optimism will only kick in if we start winning games and looking like a team capable of stringing results together.

11 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Looking at the first 2 goals the 3 at back needs some work, it might be safer option to start season with flat back 4 with defensive mid in front. 

Agreed give Comley  that roll and bring Darcy/white in for extra energy

56 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Playing "total football" is only allowed by us fans if you're in the top 10, minimum.  Thinking of some of the laughable goals Man City concede through messing around, it doesn't matter because they'll win 5-1.  But then look at Norwich and Bournemouth, playing basically the same way, everyone slates them coz they'll lose 3-1.  They'll probably rip up the championship this season playing the same way and get loads of praise for doing what they did this year.  Reading always over play at our place, and look ridiculous, because they aren't good enough to take on 75% of championship teams that way.  Total football is for good teams.  We're only going to accept it from Evatt for as long as we're in a division where we can dominate games, who knows how long that's for.

I agree with that and yeah Reading were embarrassing to watch at ours in recent years. I was on about the fans that have no patience whatsoever and would be on players backs in the first game regardless of how we tried to play. They exist. Plenty seem to sit around us anyway 

28 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Worth remembering Evatt lost 6 of the first 8 games last season, but finally got it right, and got them top by a stretch, he'll get it right.

Can’t afford a poor start, BWFC are not Barrow,  start with system the players are used to, win some games by any means then go from there. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Can’t afford a poor start, BWFC are not Barrow,  start with system the players are used to, win some games by any means then go from there. 

First writing young keeper off now this? Its Evatts way or the highway. Give him a chance!