Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Drumming Bolton Into Your Children.

leigh white

I was hooked straight away. My dad would come from work Saturday morning and wed just set off on our own little adventure. 

It coincided with our cup runs and rise through the league, best childhood ever.

My eldest is footy mad, Bolton through and through, the forest game completely changed him, he saw why we do what we do, week In week out, that last few minutes changed his life forever.

He went from not being arsed to a dyed in the wool white in one hit.

My youngest will be a tough nut to crack. Whatever you say he wants to do the opposite. Ill get him there though.

I'd rather my lads be bent or join ISIS than support anyone else.

• Site Supporter

I think my mum took me to two games, both night matches but I don’t remember who against. My dad took me to a single game... well, two games really. 3-3 in FA cup v Newcastle and nearly to Elland Road for second replay. 
Started going with mates when we got promoted as Div 3 Champs.

Back to kids, my two were about 6 when they found out that Man United wasn’t a swear word. They both thought kids in a United shirt must’ve been very naughty.

Both attended Reebok from about 4 years old. Daughter now can’t due to work but my lad goes to as many aways as possible and most always.

Daughter was talked into driving a group down to West Ham and back three days after passing her test.

6 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Daughter was talked into driving a group down to West Ham and back three days after passing her test.

Not as far as West ham but I had to take my dad and his mates to Blackburn away just after my test. 4 drunk 50 odd year old fellas taking the piss out of me there and back. Should have left the bastards in Dingle country.

My grandsons 3, 6 and 9 live in Hyde. Their Mum & Dad are not in to football at all, which makes things easier for me because I'm not competing against a parent. But it makes it hard because they don't have a diet of football in their lives; they are not getting the vibe from someone close to them about this game. Bought them all wanderers kit from day 1 to now. Only took the 9 year old to his first Wanderers game last season (Rotherham Away). He enjoyed it but he's not mithered me to go again. With them living and growing up in Hyde is not helping because almost everyone at their school are City. The 9 year old has started to show signs of being caught up with the City tsunami. This is making me sad.

• Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, Underpants said:

My grandsons 3, 6 and 9 live in Hyde. Their Mum & Dad are not in to football at all, which makes things easier for me because I'm not competing against a parent. But it makes it hard because they don't have a diet of football in their lives; they are not getting the vibe from someone close to them about this game. Bought them all wanderers kit from day 1 to now. Only took the 9 year old to his first Wanderers game last season (Rotherham Away). He enjoyed it but he's not mithered me to go again. With them living and growing up in Hyde is not helping because almost everyone at their school are City. The 9 year old has started to show signs of being caught up with the City tsunami. This is making me sad.

He’ll get it when grandad sends a bucket of horse shit for Christmas.

1 hour ago, Underpants said:

Getting em to games is the only cure.

• Members
15 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

When I was younger I was a city fan coz my older cousin was and I wanted to be like him, my brother was a yoonited fan indoctrinated by my nan who looked after him.

Which one of those two pillocks persuaded you that coloured balls in your barnet was a good idea?

I'll bet it was the DMB.

Not got kids myself but my 8 year old nephew comes with us. Last season was his first season ticket but took him to a few the season before. He's really been bitten by the bug for it now, which in all honesty has put a bit of enthusiasm back into for me and his dad tbh. Recently had his bedroom redecorated with BWFC stuff and wall stickers the lot, all at his own request. It gave our kid a smile of "job done" did that. The thing I'm looking forward too most this season, hopefully, is him getting to see us winning a few again. Lets face it, last season was a fucking shocker for a young un with his first ST, but he was first to ask if we were renewing, fair play to the lad.

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Good work Boogs. I know fan bashing of our own is quite popular on here but stories like this and the S/T numbers actually show our fans are class.

Aye, all the sweeter when his grandad on his mums side is a city fan and was trying to steer him that way. Not on our watch matey 😁

• Members

My little girl loves football, plays with me in the garden, comes to my work, it would be quite easy for her to support City if she kept an interest in it. 

We Live a stones throw away from The Bok, and I am desperate to take her to her first game, occasionally if the Mrs is shopping in Tesco we’ll walk around the stadium and it’s a weird sense of happiness seeing her walk past Nats statue or taking her picture with the badge in the background 

She was born to be a wanderer no way she’ll be supporting anyone else. 

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, boogs said:

Not got kids myself but my 8 year old nephew comes with us. Last season was his first season ticket but took him to a few the season before. He's really been bitten by the bug for it now, which in all honesty has put a bit of enthusiasm back into for me and his dad tbh. Recently had his bedroom redecorated with BWFC stuff and wall stickers the lot, all at his own request. It gave our kid a smile of "job done" did that. The thing I'm looking forward too most this season, hopefully, is him getting to see us winning a few again. Lets face it, last season was a fucking shocker for a young un with his first ST, but he was first to ask if we were renewing, fair play to the lad.

Good little story that. Nice one.

Weekend dad thing for me

Got divorced when my daughters were 10 and 7

Started taking them on the £50 season tickets. Mate was in the same situation with a lad and girl same ages so suited us for a meet up, few beers and the kids having a laugh 

Scotts, Fanzone, Kids and Flids coaches away. We did the lot

Early years my Dad was deep into his dementia but would come alive listening to my young teen daughters talking about the games, the players, the away grounds. Fucking brilliant to sit and listen to. Youngest bought a 58 Lofthouse shirt from the club shop to wear at games after talking to him

Latter days. Eldest went to uni. Me and youngest traveled far and wide. Boro, Wednesday, Forest and all those in the lower divisions. More interested in the ale run and being with the not-rights 

Nowadays. Eldest absolutely hammers my brother and FiL for being bitter Massives. Unrelenting. Scousers won the league. Pounded them. Knocked out of the CL. Gave them even more grief

Done a good job I would say. My dad did a good job on me with his tales of following BWFC from the 30’s to the 90’s. It’s what you pass down. Once in never out.... 

20 hours ago, leigh white said:

91403231_10163094082065401_7713161480023048192_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=t9JGU3PiCUsAX_JQ2im&_nc_ht=scontent.fman1-2.fna&oh=9de10e4ccc4126ed7f532f91a4412007&oe=5F73C37BWill have to do some brainwashing on my Grandchild.

Got an idea ... get a set of felt tips, “borrow” the matching game he is intently working on, refer to the history of Wanderers kits website on the other thread, on each matching bear colour on one of the decent tops all with BWFC badge prominently displayed, sneak the game back in to his toy box ... before you know it, he’ll be matching Wanderers kits and want granddad to buy him one. 

1 hour ago, only1stig said:

Got an idea ... get a set of felt tips, “borrow” the matching game he is intently working on, refer to the history of Wanderers kits website on the other thread, on each matching bear colour on one of the decent tops all with BWFC badge prominently displayed, sneak the game back in to his toy box ... before you know it, he’ll be matching Wanderers kits and want granddad to buy him one. 

I think i would struggle with that puzzle.😃