Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Holding a spade.

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

with my feet!

Seriously though, I did wonder, as I always hold my tooth brush with my left hand. Doesnt feel right the other way.

Write right handed. Take bottle tops off with left hand on the top and right on the bottle.

Left footed though.

No way could I brush my teeth with my left hand, I’ve broke my right wrist a few times and still used my right.  Unscrew bottle tops with my left and that’s about it.

I’d also say your lad Is correct just to muddy the waters, if using my foot a well, I’d use my left and I’m right footed. 

Another weird one is right handed guitarists. I’m right handed, so play right handed but thinking about it, most of the fiddly shit is done with the left. Would make more sense to play the other way round. 

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

I’d also say your lad Is correct just to muddy the waters, if using my foot a well, I’d use my left and I’m right footed. 

Another weird one is right handed guitarists. I’m right handed, so play right handed but thinking about it, most of the fiddly shit is done with the left. Would make more sense to play the other way round. 

Well no.

i play guitar right handed and the right hand maintains the rhythm which is more dominant than squirrelling up and down the fret board.

Same with drums. I play right handed as the right hand and foot dominate the rhythm

24 minutes ago, Spider said:

Well no.

i play guitar right handed and the right hand maintains the rhythm which is more dominant than squirrelling up and down the fret board.

Same with drums. I play right handed as the right hand and foot dominate the rhythm

The rhythm is the easy bit compared to the chord shapes 

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Rudy said:

Surely the power and force comes from your dominant  hand So the one at the top of the spade?

Same as your snooker club

When I was at the council, we were tested regularly for damage to hands and arms caused by machinery vibration. 

One test was a dexterity job, the other was a grip test which measured strength. Left was stronger which I thought was surprising. Nurse said not as holding objects was usually done with 'good hands whilst gripping/twisting often with the other.

As for the spade, when digging and lifting the spade, the stronger arm is better off lower down surely to help move the load.

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Rudy said:

Surely the power and force comes from your dominant  hand So the one at the top of the spade?

Same as your snooker club

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

When I was at the council, we were tested regularly for damage to hands and arms caused by machinery vibration. 

One test was a dexterity job, the other was a grip test which measured strength. Left was stronger which I thought was surprising. Nurse said not as holding objects was usually done with 'good hands whilst gripping/twisting often with the other.

As for the spade, when digging and lifting the spade, the stronger arm is better off lower down surely to help move the load.

Here’s my take on this:

I think you’re both mixing spades and shovels is you’re talking about loads being shifted. The power generated with a spade isn’t normally a left hand/right hand thing but a left foot/right foot.

• Site Supporter
53 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Here’s my take on this:

I think you’re both mixing spades and shovels is you’re talking about loads being shifted. The power generated with a spade isn’t normally a left hand/right hand thing but a left foot/right foot.

I'm referring to removal of spoil once thrust has been undertaken. So no mixing of implements. 

Definitely spade action. 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Your lad is right.

Mind you, I'm amazed at how many right handed lads bat left handed at cricket.  Weirdos.

Absolutely. In recent times England has been full of them.

Stokes, moeen, Broad, Anderson of the top of my head. All bowl right and bat left. Morgan also bats left and throws right so I think that makes him a righty.

Sure there are more.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, MickyD said:

Don’t you swap to a shovel for removal?

Give over. Shovels aren't for digging. Our soil is too damp and clay based to be readily shovelled. Especially out of a hole.

Bulk bags of gravel etc are a different thing altogether. American murder spade for that.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Give over. Shovels aren't for digging. Our soil is too damp and clay based to be readily shovelled. Especially out of a hole.

Bulk bags of gravel etc are a different thing altogether. American murder spade for that.

That’s my point. Shovels are for shifting shirt, not digging holes.

• Site Supporter
Just now, MickyD said:

That’s my point. Shovels are for shifting shirt, not digging holes.

But you don't use it to remove clumpy damp soil from a hole. Especially if the lump is already on the spade. Why the hell would you tip it off then go at it again with another tool.

Some strange manoeuvring at Bradshaw CC.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

But you don't use it to remove clumpy damp soil from a hole. Especially if the lump is already on the spade. Why the hell would you tip it off then go at it again with another tool.

Some strange manoeuvring at Bradshaw CC.

Don’t have much use for digging holes really.