Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Equality in sport

Rudy

23 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I don't think he has. We all know there is a problem among certain sections of the young black community in London. The root of the problem is the issue. Claiming "there isn't institutional racism in the UK, it's all their own fault" doesn't really solve anything. Maybe I'm missing something.

I’m claiming that we don’t have ‘systemic racism’ 

Given that I believe ‘the system’ is broadly Healthcare, welfare, Education and Justice. I don’t think that’s the case. You often hear the term white privilege, but if that was the case why does the white population perform so poorly when compared with British Chinese and British Indian 

If the Black community (on average per 100,000 of population) want to do better then I think most of those gains would need to cone from themselves looking inwardly at their culture rather than blaming the system. As Obama said in the NY Times link above... 

Obama has stirred debate among black Americans by bluntly speaking about an epidemic of fatherless African-American families while suggesting that some blacks use racism as a crutch to explain lack of economic progress.

To be fair, I think the white community in this country could also do much better, why can’t we perform as well as the Chinese and Indian groups. I don’t think that’s ‘the systems’ fault but instead hundreds of poorly performing white communities all over the U.K. dragging the numbers down. It’s the culture within those communities that’s the problem, not the colour of their skin 

Edited by birch-chorley

5 minutes ago, Cheese said:

You're proving my point. Never mind.

Youre not though. You know which demographic are more likely and who you, yourself would pick.

Thats isnt racist per se.

The question is, why in those areas is it more likely to be a black youth, which i think birch has covered.

Same way its more than likely a muslim in Rotherham will be convicted of grooming.

Or a white kid in liverpool comitting drug offences.

Its just the way it is, all are social issues. Fuck all to do with racism.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Youre not though. You know which demographic are more likely and who you, yourself would pick.

Thats isnt racist per se.

The question is, why in those areas is it more likely to be a black youth, which i think birch has covered.

Same way its more than likely a muslim in Rotherham will be convicted of grooming.

Or a white kid in liverpool comitting drug offences.

Its just the way it is, all are social issues. Fuck all to do with racism.

Therefore - institutional racism doesn't exist?

17 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Therefore - institutional racism doesn't exist?

Its not racism. Its just data. 

Im more than likely to get stopped and searched at a football match because im in the demographic thats more likely to commit crimes. There isnt institutional persecution off white 36 year olds that wear adidas trainers. Its just the way it is. 

Edited by gonzo

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Its not racism. Its just data. 

Im more than likely to get stopped and searched at a football match because im in the demographic thats more likely to commit crimes. There isnt institutional persecution off white 36 year olds that wear adidas trainers. Its just the way it is. 

We've veered way off track.  Basically, if a footballer (or anyone else) wants to kneel down for 5 seconds before a match to express their solidarity against racists, that's their choice. I really am baffled by anyone who's offended by it.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Im not offended. Im just always sceptical with stuff like this. Its greif junky territory for me.

Empty gestures to appease the masses etc

Each to their own like but its probably run its course now. Make it an annual thing or summet.

Aye. I see Michael Holding had a pop at the cricket teams who have stopped.

He got a rebuke from Jofra Archer.

I'm baffled by anyone getting offended by anyone not taking a knee...

13 minutes ago, Cheese said:

We've veered way off track.  Basically, if a footballer (or anyone else) wants to kneel down for 5 seconds before a match to express their solidarity against racists, that's their choice. I really am baffled by anyone who's offended by it.

Let’s get back on track. Is there equality in sport? 

15 minutes ago, Cheese said:

QPR v Coventry on now 

Teams decides not to take the knee 

sky pundit ‘disappointed’ 

I assume you would be equally baffled at someone taking this stance then? 

14 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

QPR v Coventry on now 

Pundits only saying that because shes a black, blind, left handed lesbian.

• Members
23 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Pundits only saying that because shes a black, blind, left handed lesbian.

Sky’s criteria for a pundit now is a six foot seven inch dwarf, aged between 15 and 50, white male with oriental features who's as black as Newgates Knocker. Oh yeah and he wears a Deaf aid

Edited by Rudy

• Moderators
1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

QPR v Coventry on now 

There was a good debate on the BBC NFL show last week

One black pundit wouldn't take the knee because America had been good to him and he'd done well for himself

The other, who was also an ex player done good said he would and put his case forward

They both agreed you support your fellow team mate in whatever stance they took, ie, talk about it to ensure no disappointment

9 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

QPR v Coventry on now 

There’s been no direction on how many games the knee will go on for so someone was bound to knock it at some point and fair play

premier league clubs will continue no doubt 

Might as well be put to bed this.

There are those who think there's still a problem and those who don't think there's enough of a problem to warrant highlighting it every game ... and then there's Birch who knows every stat going about whites, blacks, Chinese and Indian folk and whether their parents are together or not.

Nobody is going to change their minds.

Edited by DazBob

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Just had a look, much less disparity based on race

https://www.stop-watch.org/your-area/area/merseyside

Merseyside Police record stop and accounts.

Merseyside is one of only nine police forces in England and Wales that record stop and accounts.

In 2013/14, a total of 2,047 recorded stop and accounts where carried out across the force. Of these:

• 1,868 were of whites
  • 34 were of blacks
  • 21 were of Asians
  • 22 were of people from mixed backgrounds
  • 56 were of Chinese people or those from other backgrounds

This means that black people were subject to an account at 1.6 times the rate of whites, Asians at 0.8 times that rate, mixed people at 0.7times the rate of whites, and those from Chinese or Other backgrounds were encountered at 1.8 times the rate of whites.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/single-mums-streets-shocking-number-16629608

Interesting that single parent families in Liverpool are circa 30% 

I think the predominant factor in stop and searches is the prevalence of single parent families, not colour of skin 

Where do those we refer to  as East European sit in these statistics? The Albanians, Romanians, etc. (Yet strangely Greeks aren’t classed as Eastern European. Does this make it a derogatory term saved for only certain areas?)

Anyway, those Eastern European’s; white or other?

56 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Where do those we refer to  as East European sit in these statistics? The Albanians, Romanians, etc. (Yet strangely Greeks aren’t classed as Eastern European. Does this make it a derogatory term saved for only certain areas?)

Anyway, those Eastern European’s; white or other?

Think they generally fall into white other