Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Name the ground

miamiwhite

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
On 08/09/2020 at 23:39, miamiwhite said:

I've honestly no idea on this one, hoping Mick older than Methuselah aka Leigh White will fill in the gaps.

My thoughts are Turf Moor, Molinuex or Leeds Road

Oops, it seems this is the photo we’re trying to place, not the picture of WBA ground posted as a comparison.

On 08/09/2020 at 23:39, miamiwhite said:

I've honestly no idea on this one, hoping Mick older than Methuselah aka Leigh White will fill in the gaps.

My thoughts are Turf Moor, Molinuex or Leeds Road

Have a look at the 1st pic on the link below, looks very much like Turf Moor.

I was swayed by Undies and St Andrews, but their stanchions on old pics are much further back on the terracing

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/two-footballing-worlds-collide-as-di-maria-heads-for-humble-turf-moor-1.1912070

Just now, leigh white said:

Ha ha, the dingle bastards, i never thought about checking that out.

Glad you didn't pull me on my shit spelling of connoisseur 😆

That pic in the Paddy Paper certainly resembles the original pic.

Plus I'm thinking Turf Moor's pitch was widened too from the early days. They were originally playing with a stadium with a huge crescent shape to it, then closed it in.

3 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Ha ha, the dingle bastards, i never thought about checking that out.

plus it doesn't explain why Leeds were playing in their away kit, though ive done some research on that season and there's plenty of pics in them in the kit on the original tweet.

Looks like Undies will have to reopen his part of the thread here......thank me later chaps ......after I speak to a few Burnley inbred mates 😉 

11 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I've just retweeted it to the leeds and lufc hashtag to see if they can help

Hope you get some clarity on it mate, it's certainly baffling us lot on here.

I'm sticking with my original stab in the dark of Turf Moor, even after Leigh Blue ruled it out for offside and Thundies acted all Peaky Blinders on me with St Andrews.

10 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Hope you get some clarity on it mate, it's certainly baffling us lot on here.

I'm sticking with my original stab in the dark of Turf Moor, even after Leigh Blue ruled it out for offside and Thundies acted all Peaky Blinders on me with St Andrews.

Looking at it now I think you might be right mate. Would never have imagined Turf Moor looking like such a big ground 

4 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Looking at it now I think you might be right mate. Would never have imagined Turf Moor looking like such a big ground 

Had loads of time to kill recently so done a bit of digging on it mate.

Found a good article from the 50's when they wanted to make Turf Moor 3 sides seated and increase the Bee Hole end up to 22,000 standing.

1 minute ago, miamiwhite said:

Had loads of time to kill recently so done a bit of digging on it mate.

Found a good article from the 50's when they wanted to make Turf Moor 3 sides seated and increase the Bee Hole end up to 22,000 standing.

Blimey. Who’d have thought dingles could be so forward thinking? They could have fitted a Costco on that terrace as well if it had all gone tits up