Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Case for the Defence

Johnny Byrom

After a couple of cup defeats and a friendly defeat, a major concern is the soft goals we are conceding. What doesn't seemed to have been mentioned is what level of protection is being given

by the midfield.

We seem to have recruited some talented midfield players, Sarcevic, Crawford, White etc.  But these players are not the "they shall not pass" type to protect the back 3.

In my opinion the squad needs a teak tough defensive midfield player, who just giv.es the ball to the his ball playing team mates. 

Question: Are there any free agents out there who fit this profile??  Lets hope so

I can't comment on Saturday's game as I didn't see it, but last night, especially the first half, there was constantly a gaping chasm in the middle of the pitch in front of the back four where it was far too easy to slip a simple through ball between the CB's.

If this is still happening regularly in a couple of games' time I'll be concerned, but you've got to trust IE to address it.

23 minutes ago, Blondi said:

Thought Comley was supposed to be our midfield destroyer? Maybe White can play deeper alongside Comley if necessary?

From what I saw Saturday Comley does challenge for the ball but he give the ball away far to much in the first half.

We do need to stop teams walking through us and passing easy balls to their front men but its still the defenders who are mainly at fault and they are just not aware enough of the movement around them

I would go along with this line of thought.

Let's see how IE addresses this within the current ranks. Most of the centre halves he has signed seem to be reasonable on the ball. Perhaps one of those may end up in holding midfield - not unknown for that conversion to take place at Bolton. Campo, Hierro, Faye etc.

For me, from what I've seen so far, is that they aren't doing enough to press the ball or get it back when it's lost, for a high pressing team that's chasing the ball down after losing it, we aren't doing it. 

I'm still optimistic that they'll click soon, it happen with IE at barrow, we've got nothing but time (unless we're foot of the table after 15 games).

It'll be fine I'm sure 😬

1 hour ago, SalCity Biggie said:

For me, from what I've seen so far, is that they aren't doing enough to press the ball or get it back when it's lost, for a high pressing team that's chasing the ball down after losing it, we aren't doing it. 

The "6 second rule" of winning the ball back after losing it was one of Evatts non negotiables as well, I'm fully confident he'll address that.