Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v forest green

radcliffe white

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

OK for all the negatives, here are some positives.  Delfounso first half left us in no doubt he's a good footballer for this level.  Tutte - can see why he's been signed, tidy and forward thinking.  Crellin looks the part for me, though didnt have much to do.  Crawford looks like he's the player we had pre-injury, which might not have been the case.  4 players there I'm happy with, and we can add Sarcevic and Doyle as nobody can say they arent proven at this level.  Negatives far outway the positives though.

I think that was just players doing the basics they should be doing , 

WE lost to a bradford team who are supposed to be challenging at the top of the table and looked second best so we are not a top of the table team.

We lost to forest green who are a midtable to outside the playoffs team and we looked second best again so does that mean we are at best a midtable team at the moment?

I thought IE had hand picked these players to play his brand of fast paced pressure football?

Slow, ponderous and fucking clueless.

Biggest disappointment for me was Santos, he looks an absolute liability.

2nd biggest disappointment was Sarcy Bitch - looked uninterested.

We have a bit of work to do.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

23 minutes ago, LeggyMountbatten said:

Absolutely fucking dreadful. No positives to take from this except we didn’t get beat by more. Amazing that we’re actually worse than last season. That takes some doing.

A lot worse than a year ago.  Equivalent week we drew 0-0 v Oxford.  Line up: Matthews, Emmanuel, Hobbs, Wright, Chicksen, Bridcutt, Politic, Lowe, Crawford, Verlinden, Buckley.  Darcy on bench (rest of bench was worse than today's to be fair).  We still had Daryl Murphy, O'Grady, Dodoo to come in but not saying I'd necessarily swap them for our current front 2, I'd swap the rest of the team every day of the week though.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Well yeah. But 2 of those were friendlies, and 1 was against a team in the League above us. Relax. It'll all fall into place.

Maybe but we have still lost 5 on the bounce now , in earlier games when we won a few we were all happy about fostering a winning mentality i saw no sign of that mentality today , anyways another long season ahead .

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Hopefully , it can only get better....... can't it?

Yes, and it will. We'll all be ballooning again in a couple of months after we've won a few on the bounce. Then we'll lose a game, and it will be the end of the world again. That's football.

• Site Supporter
Just now, burnden said:

Maybe but we have still lost 5 on the bounce now , in earlier games when we won a few we were all happy about fostering a winning mentality i saw no sign of that mentality today , anyways another long season ahead .

A "winning mentality" isn't saying "we're shite and we've got no chance" after losing ONE League game.

• Site Supporter

As a one off performance I can’t disagree with any of the negative comments being made; Players not living up to their billings, looking tactically naive, no defensive gelling what-so-ever, combinations of players  in defence/midfield/attack not seeming to connect together.

The early confident start soon turned into 70-80 minutes of a side lacking the know-how and experience of getting a stronghold back into the game, there was only the odd glimpse.

But it’s these odd glimpses that I’m going to hold onto as positives. Those are comments and observations of ONE LEAGUE GAME. (Yes you could count the cup games, but  for me they were just an extension of pre-season for a side that are so fresh in coming together for the first time)  

All the above, to me, are understandable to a side that haven’t played together. Let’s not forget that these players haven’t played competitive football together. You can’t replicate a competitive league game in training and it’s only more games that are going to allow IE to address the major concerns; right personnel on the field, playing the possession game effectively, gelling the players together particularly at the back.

Yes criticise today, but don’t right-off the manager, players and system and make irreversible and definitive judgements after one game. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think it's the performances, rather than the results, which are the main concern.

I agree, but we basically started from scratch 3 months ago. A bit of patience is required. We lost 1-0 not 7-0. 

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, desperado said:

As a one off performance I can’t disagree with any of the negative comments being made; Players not living up to their billings, looking tactically naive, no defensive gelling what-so-ever, combinations of players  in defence/midfield/attack not seeming to connect together.

The early confident start soon turned into 70-80 minutes of a side lacking the know-how and experience of getting a stronghold back into the game, there was only the odd glimpse.

But it’s these odd glimpses that I’m going to hold onto as positives. Those are comments and observations of ONE LEAGUE GAME. (Yes you could count the cup games, but  for me they were just an extension of pre-season for a side that are so fresh in coming together for the first time)  

All the above, to me, are understandable to a side that haven’t played together. Let’s not forget that these players haven’t played competitive football together. You can’t replicate a competitive league game in training and it’s only more games that are going to allow IE to address the major concerns; right personnel on the field, playing the possession game effectively, gelling the players together particularly at the back.

Yes criticise today, but don’t right-off the manager, players and system and make irreversible and definitive judgements after one game. 

Spot on. I think the last few years of dire shite has made a lot of us resort to pessimism at the first sign of any negativity. That's no good for anyone, especially when we've been given a fresh start, with a new manager who's trying to bring a sense of positivity to the club.

Edited by Cheese