Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v forest green

radcliffe white

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Well there is that I suppose but I'm not having it that a few of us whingeing on here is preventing Santos and others from being great footballers 

Obviously not. But we're in League 2 for the first time in 30-odd years, and these are League 2 footballers who've only known each other for a couple of months. A sip of reality wouldn't go amiss. A few weeks ago, most of our fans were convinced we were going to piss the League. One game in, and it's all over for some. Bonkers.

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

Obviously not. But we're in League 2 for the first time in 30-odd years, and these are League 2 footballers who've only known each other for a couple of months. A sip of reality wouldn't go amiss. A few weeks ago, most of our fans were convinced we were going to piss the League. One game in, and it's all over for some. Bonkers.

This👏🏻

What concerns me a bit after these three games is, despite the glowing sales pitches from Evatt when each of them signed, we have little in the way of proven quality in the squad, even at L2 levels. Doyle and Delfouneso yes, not much else in my view. What we do have is a lot of cast offs (some from this league), non league lads and other wild cards like Greenidge that Evatt evidently thinks he's capable of polishing up into effective individuals and an effective unit. Even if that happens it's going to take time and pressure will grow if defeat follows defeat and confidence is eroded. 

The other concern is what's happening with Crawford and, to a slightly lesser extent, Darcy. Both of those showed last season they were capable of making a difference in L1, never mind L2 but it seems to be 'we start with all my men (or Tobias's) till I lose patience with them, then I'll turn back to those who were left from last season. 

Hope it does click together soon but not convinced up to now

59 minutes ago, kent_white said:

My father in law is a baggy. 

Just got this text off him.

"First day home defeats mean nothing - remember you winning at the Hawthorns on the first day a few seasons ago.  Keep the faith."

Top bloke! 

Its only 2 years ago that we were winning away at what was virtually a Prem team, and today we're losing at home to what is basically a non league club.  And there were players in that team I wouldn't even have now (Taylor, Murphy, Wildshcut). As much as that was the peak of the last 2 years by some distance, let's hope today is the low point of the next 2 years.

12 minutes ago, Cheese said:

In fairness though Cheese  the Manager is the one  hyping up these signings , pointing out they're speed and qualities and generally making the masses think we have signed world beaters . Now it's certainly early days but a chunk of these signings look very raw indeed and a couple of them are looking like liabilities ( I put Baptiste in that Bracket). 

44 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Right. I've calmed down, my heart rate is back to what passes for normal for a 66 year old Bolton fan.

By Christ that was bad, but if Crawford starts next match, and IE can get a bit of confidence in the rest of them we might be able to put it all behind us.

Positives, we're not bottom and we're 12 points better off than we were this time last season.

FGR didn't look like scoring until that free kick, and that was the only shot I remember.

The lack of ball people helped them slow the game down, and it will be a lot livelier when we can get back in.

It was still shite, mind.

Whether or not they looked like scoring, we looked like conceding loads of times in the first hour.  Not always shots on goal, but half chances and opportunities, unlike us who never looked like creating a thing.  The only reason the last half hour felt a bit more "comfortable" is because we were losing.  If we'd been winning, we would have been under the cosh because they were the better team and our defence is keystone cops.

32 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Course is not all over, there's 45 games to go.  But if we play the same starting line up and system for the next 45 games, its all over.  They are not going to win more games than they lose.  So it has to change, that's why people are commenting.

22 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

What concerns me a bit after these three games is, despite the glowing sales pitches from Evatt when each of them signed, we have little in the way of proven quality in the squad, even at L2 levels. Doyle and Delfouneso yes, not much else in my view. What we do have is a lot of cast offs (some from this league), non league lads and other wild cards like Greenidge that Evatt evidently thinks he's capable of polishing up into effective individuals and an effective unit. Even if that happens it's going to take time and pressure will grow if defeat follows defeat and confidence is eroded. 

The other concern is what's happening with Crawford and, to a slightly lesser extent, Darcy. Both of those showed last season they were capable of making a difference in L1, never mind L2 but it seems to be 'we start with all my men (or Tobias's) till I lose patience with them, then I'll turn back to those who were left from last season

Hope it does click together soon but not convinced up to now

That sums it up. The old players have to look like Messi in training to get a place, the new signings have to look like Trotter to get out of the team.  It will come eventually, but in the meantime we have to grin and bear it, and the same goes for the flawed system.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Course is not all over, there's 45 games to go.  But if we play the same starting line up and system for the next 45 games, its all over.  They are not going to win more games than they lose.  So it has to change, that's why people are commenting.

Absolute nonsense. 

• Site Supporter
36 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

In fairness though Cheese  the Manager is the one  hyping up these signings , pointing out they're speed and qualities and generally making the masses think we have signed world beaters . Now it's certainly early days but a chunk of these signings look very raw indeed and a couple of them are looking like liabilities ( I put Baptiste in that Bracket). 

Obviously he's going to hype them up. It would be no use saying "They're a bit shite, but this is where we're at."

It feels a bit like people are expecting us to play like a Championship side who've suddenly found out they're in League 2 for no reason. We are a League 2 side. We have signed League 2 players. We have an exciting young manager who is looking to take us forward. It might take months. Give it a chance.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That's your opinion.  Mine is either the personnel or the system has to change.  I dont care if I'm completely wrong as long as we improve but my opinion is that starting line up/system wont win games in the EFL.

One game into the season.

Just now, Cheese said:

Obviously he's going to hype them up. It would be no use saying "They're a bit shite, but this is where we're at."

It feels a bit like people are expecting us to play like a Championship side who have found themselves to be in League 2  for no reason. We are a League 2 side. We have signed League 2 players, and we have an exciting young manager who is looking to take us forward. Give them a chance.

He can't complain then when the hype isn't matching their actual abilities ( at the minute) and people start to wonder how these players are suddenly going to turn it around. The defending today wasn't players getting to know each other it was a collective of headless chickens seemingly not knowing were they should be playing let alone being able to implement a precise system .

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, dusan nikolic said:

He can't complain then when the hype isn't matching their actual abilities ( at the minute) and people start to wonder how these players are suddenly going to turn it around. The defending today wasn't players getting to know each other it was a collective of headless chickens seemingly not knowing were they should be playing let alone being able to implement a precise system .

He hasnt complained has he? He's said it was a disappointing performance, and there's a lot of work to do, which I think we'd all agree with. And we only lost 1-0. You make it sound like we conceded 6.

Just now, Cheese said:

He hasnt complained has he? He's said it was a disappointing performance, and there's a lot of work to do, which I think we'd all agree with. And we only lost 1-0. You make it sound like we conceded 6.

Against a decent team we may well do , let's see how we fare away from home . 

I sincerely hope you prove me wrong , but that showing was very poor but you seem loathe to admit there is any problems at all , have you actually got any criticism about that performance or do you just cling on to blind faith that it will get better .