Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v forest green

radcliffe white

52 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Did you all attend the same course at Lilleshall? 🤔

I've got my FAW Football Leaders Level 1 plus 46 years watching BWFC.  That makes me qualified to balloon on a football forum but I'm not allowed to send any letters to the manager😀

5 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

In one.  That midfielder being Darcy.  Plus if we only have 4 defenders that's one less defender that's going to make a mistake or give the ball away cheaply.

I admire, but do not share, your conviction that the extra midfielder would not make a mistake or give the ball away cheaply.

By your own argument, we would be guarenteed at least a 0-0 with no defenders on teh field.

We need players who can pass the ball, are confortable on it and know what they are supposed to be doing, before we complain too much about formations.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Fookin hell, glad I missed this one...

Reading through the thread, drama queens abound.

It’s one game.

but it's not one game

didn't see the last two friendlies, but we were well beaten.

the two cup games and saturday, we were second best for most of the games.

hope it picks up.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ZiggyStardust said:

I admire, but do not share, your conviction that the extra midfielder would not make a mistake or give the ball away cheaply.

By your own argument, we would be guarenteed at least a 0-0 with no defenders on teh field.

We need players who can pass the ball, are confortable on it and know what they are supposed to be doing, before we complain too much about formations.

Aye

Its alreet knocking Gordon, Jones even, we could do with some fucker who can get the ball to them

I'd also add my tuppenorth that it strikes me we have some tactical geniuses on here

Just waiting for pep to fuck off or too much fifa?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ex_midlandwhite said:

Baptiste completed most passed in the division on Saturday.

Jake Turner was MOTM for Morecambe

surely not

Surely jake Turner is playing every week in the prem, along with Jamie Thomas and others

And that baptiste stat shows the potential folly of stats based recruitment

8 hours ago, Kane57 said:

Delfouneso has been our best attacker so far. I would be disappointed if he was dropped so quickly.

Me too.  One of the plus points definitely.  No problem with the front 2, they will get into their stride given the chances, and Delfounso has quality that belongs higher than DIv 2.

6 hours ago, meanderson93 said:

Delaney - Left Back? He's the most centre back, centre back that's ever centre backed.

Hickman - You've got in a midfield 3 for some reason, his pace and deliveries would be wasted. Plus can't imagine he'd be disciplined enough central. 

Crawford - Obviously? you've got him out wide there, where sure he'd whip some crosses in but that's not what Doyle is about. Pointless. Also not got the pace for it. 

Delfouneso - Can play wide and would graft but deliveries would be non-existent, prefer his industry close to support Doyle.

Darcy - On the wing? No thanks.

That is just very funny.

2 hours ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Firstly I genuinely wasnt having a go at the defenders, they are there to keep the ball out of the net, and passing isnt really their thing at this level.  But the passing stats probably show that our 5 defenders had the ball miles more than the other 5.  It just makes sense to me to give the responsibility to midfielders to do the carrying, passing, dribbling.  1 less defender on the pitch and 1 more midfielder - just my opinion.  Wouldn't you agree that Darcy, Tutte or Crawford of those not starting that game, would have carried more of a threat to the opposition by replacing 1 of the back 3?

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Firstly I genuinely wasnt having a go at the defenders, they are there to keep the ball out of the net, and passing isnt really their thing at this level.  But the passing stats probably show that our 5 defenders had the ball miles more than the other 5.  It just makes sense to me to give the responsibility to midfielders to do the carrying, passing, dribbling.  1 less defender on the pitch and 1 more midfielder - just my opinion.  Wouldn't you agree that Darcy, Tutte or Crawford of those not starting that game, would have carried more of a threat to the opposition by replacing 1 of the back 3?

They would have also carried more of a threat than Sarvo, White & Comley.

I also think we would have conceded more than one, due to us then playing with 2 centre halfs and 2 wing backs, none of which anyone would use the term 'defensive kingpin' on.

Again, you can play whatever formation you want, the players who played on Saturday (and Tuesday, and the previous Saturday) look to have plenty of work to do individually.