Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Bolton v forest green

Today's performance in a word - lethargic.

• Sarcevic looked like he was running in treacle.
  • Centre backs looked uncertain defensively and when playing out from the back.
  • The midfield wasn't dynamic enough in linking up attack and defence. No idea how Crawford isn't starting over Comley or White.
  • Strikers had good chances in first half but didn't take them. Delfounso's poor touch and Doyle snatching at his chance.

Really disappointing overall and I hope to god we drop this 3-5-2 soon. Please prove me wrong Evatt but I just don't get it. Too many hopeful balls down the channel and not enough short/sharp passing in the middle, which isn't what I expected from an Evatt team. Would rather play 4-4-2 diamond - Comley DM, Sarcevic & White CM, and Crawford CAM.

Having said that, if Doyle scores that first half chance, or Greenidge puts that backpost header in, it would've boosted our confidence and we probably would've come into our own more.

I take on board what Evatt says about goals changing games and can fully empathise with "looking good in training" but not brining it into a real game. That competitive edge changes everything.

Not the time to panic now or judge too harshly but if we're not seeing major improvements after 9 or 10 games then we've really got to look at the recruitment.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You also said yesterday he should change to 4-4-2. He’s come in with a plan and to try and change the mentality. Whether we have the players and whether it comes good we will see. But after one half o

It is a football forum; if folk want to offer their tactical opinions, that's what its for. Just a socially distanced way of getting a defeat off your chest over a few ales with mates. Simpl

As a one off performance I can’t disagree with any of the negative comments being made; Players not living up to their billings, looking tactically naive, no defensive gelling what-so-ever, combinatio

8 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Not saying that but if you inherit a legend do you want to see it wither and die?  NO!

Thats like buying a a former supercar brand,, say lotus and saying well we accept the current environment so we gonna power the new model with pot purree and yankee candles, is that ok? Peachy, enjoy.

I don't get it. The best way for us to get out of this league is to knickle down and work hard. We need to drop the superiority complex.

Just now, Mantra said:

Today's performance in a word - lethargic.

• Sarcevic looked like he was running in treacle.
  • Centre backs looked uncertain defensively and when playing out from the back.
  • The midfield wasn't dynamic enough in linking up attack and defence. No idea how Crawford isn't starting over Comley or White.
  • Strikers had good chances in first half but didn't take them. Delfounso's poor touch and Doyle snatching at his chance.

Really disappointing overall and I hope to god we drop this 3-5-2 soon. Please prove me wrong Evatt but I just don't get it. Too many hopeful balls down the channel and not enough short/sharp passing in the middle, which isn't what I expected from an Evatt team. Would rather play 4-4-2 diamond - Comley DM, Sarcevic & White CM, and Crawford CAM.

Having said that, if Doyle scores that first half chance, or Greenidge puts that backpost header in, it would've boosted our confidence and we probably would've come into our own more.

I take on board what Evatt says about goals changing games and can fully empathise with "looking good in training" but not brining it into a real game. That competitive edge changes everything.

Not the time to panic now or judge too harshly but if we're not seeing major improvements after 9 or 10 games then we've really got to look at the recruitment.

I wouldn't change the shape. If he does then it'll make him look stupid.

We just need to move the ball much more quickly. I can see what he's trying to do.

Right. I've calmed down, my heart rate is back to what passes for normal for a 66 year old Bolton fan.

By Christ that was bad, but if Crawford starts next match, and IE can get a bit of confidence in the rest of them we might be able to put it all behind us.

Positives, we're not bottom and we're 12 points better off than we were this time last season.

FGR didn't look like scoring until that free kick, and that was the only shot I remember.

The lack of ball people helped them slow the game down, and it will be a lot livelier when we can get back in.

It was still shite, mind.

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It's not the fault of the current regime though, is it?

The ‘current regime’ are not the club. They are, however, the current custodians. If 40, 30, 20, 10 years ago there were plaudits aplenty for great opening day wins, or there were brickbats for opening day defeats, they were for the club, not the custodian.

if the club historically accepts those plaudits, you’d better be sure they can’t also accept the shitstorm coming their way after this inept performance.

31 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s early days but I’m expecting big big improvements over the next month, think we have enough in the tank to be top half minimum, Evatt needs to earn his corn, his first half 11 today’s was poor, leaving Crawford out was ridiculous, after seeing Tutte replace a piss poor Comley another faux par, the 2 wing backs not worthy of the name, change the system were not Man City, and static keeper needs fucking off, it ain’t difficult to see, open your eyes and act. 

Bit harsh on the keeper. He’s been one of the better performers in these games

9 minutes ago, kent_white said:

We just need to move the ball much more quickly. I can see what he's trying to do.

9 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

One thought. He’s brought in 4 Players who are in essence wing backs. He ain’t dropping 3-5-2 so let’s get used to that idea.

Aye, I can't see us changing it anytime soon for these reasons but I'm personally not a fan of it, especially after seeing it today. We need to get the most out of our best players, which on paper are probably Delfounso, Doyle, Crawford and Sarcevic and the wingback system relies heavily on Gordon and Jones and even our CBs to create things.

Surely our wingbacks could play the role of a fullback or a winger though if we do switch systems, otherwise we've just penned ourselves into only playing wingback systems which just seems stupid to me.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Well there is that I suppose but I'm not having it that a few of us whingeing on here is preventing Santos and others from being great footballers 

Obviously not. But we're in League 2 for the first time in 30-odd years, and these are League 2 footballers who've only known each other for a couple of months. A sip of reality wouldn't go amiss. A few weeks ago, most of our fans were convinced we were going to piss the League. One game in, and it's all over for some. Bonkers.

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

Obviously not. But we're in League 2 for the first time in 30-odd years, and these are League 2 footballers who've only known each other for a couple of months. A sip of reality wouldn't go amiss. A few weeks ago, most of our fans were convinced we were going to piss the League. One game in, and it's all over for some. Bonkers.

This👏🏻

What concerns me a bit after these three games is, despite the glowing sales pitches from Evatt when each of them signed, we have little in the way of proven quality in the squad, even at L2 levels. Doyle and Delfouneso yes, not much else in my view. What we do have is a lot of cast offs (some from this league), non league lads and other wild cards like Greenidge that Evatt evidently thinks he's capable of polishing up into effective individuals and an effective unit. Even if that happens it's going to take time and pressure will grow if defeat follows defeat and confidence is eroded. 

The other concern is what's happening with Crawford and, to a slightly lesser extent, Darcy. Both of those showed last season they were capable of making a difference in L1, never mind L2 but it seems to be 'we start with all my men (or Tobias's) till I lose patience with them, then I'll turn back to those who were left from last season. 

Hope it does click together soon but not convinced up to now

2 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Mounts has had in for the keeper for weeks seems desperate for the goalie coach to be playing.

Gilkes is  proven quality, no brainer for me, Crellin not had lot to do but conceded a good few, seems rooted to the spot on every goal. 

59 minutes ago, kent_white said:

My father in law is a baggy. 

Just got this text off him.

"First day home defeats mean nothing - remember you winning at the Hawthorns on the first day a few seasons ago.  Keep the faith."

Top bloke! 

Its only 2 years ago that we were winning away at what was virtually a Prem team, and today we're losing at home to what is basically a non league club.  And there were players in that team I wouldn't even have now (Taylor, Murphy, Wildshcut). As much as that was the peak of the last 2 years by some distance, let's hope today is the low point of the next 2 years.

12 minutes ago, Cheese said:

In fairness though Cheese  the Manager is the one  hyping up these signings , pointing out they're speed and qualities and generally making the masses think we have signed world beaters . Now it's certainly early days but a chunk of these signings look very raw indeed and a couple of them are looking like liabilities ( I put Baptiste in that Bracket). 

7 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Gilkes is  proven quality, no brainer for me, Crellin not had lot to do but conceded a good few, seems rooted to the spot on every goal. 

There's not a keeper in the world who would've saved that shot today.

45 minutes ago, kent_white said:

And keeping the shape with these full backs will make him look....?

44 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Right. I've calmed down, my heart rate is back to what passes for normal for a 66 year old Bolton fan.

By Christ that was bad, but if Crawford starts next match, and IE can get a bit of confidence in the rest of them we might be able to put it all behind us.

Positives, we're not bottom and we're 12 points better off than we were this time last season.

FGR didn't look like scoring until that free kick, and that was the only shot I remember.

The lack of ball people helped them slow the game down, and it will be a lot livelier when we can get back in.

It was still shite, mind.

Whether or not they looked like scoring, we looked like conceding loads of times in the first hour.  Not always shots on goal, but half chances and opportunities, unlike us who never looked like creating a thing.  The only reason the last half hour felt a bit more "comfortable" is because we were losing.  If we'd been winning, we would have been under the cosh because they were the better team and our defence is keystone cops.

32 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Course is not all over, there's 45 games to go.  But if we play the same starting line up and system for the next 45 games, its all over.  They are not going to win more games than they lose.  So it has to change, that's why people are commenting.

23 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

And also made 5-6 good saves