Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Bolton v forest green


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You also said yesterday he should change to 4-4-2. He’s come in with a plan and to try and change the mentality. Whether we have the players and whether it comes good we will see. But after one half o

It is a football forum; if folk want to offer their tactical opinions, that's what its for. Just a socially distanced way of getting a defeat off your chest over a few ales with mates. Simpl

As a one off performance I can’t disagree with any of the negative comments being made; Players not living up to their billings, looking tactically naive, no defensive gelling what-so-ever, combinatio

51 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

I tried my best to tune the fuckers out.

If i thought the comms would sync up i'd have put Dearden and The Galloping Chip on for sound

It was Dearden and McGinlay, dunno if Gowling will be back or not

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the point earlier about whether you can coach lads in their 20s to pass it to each other, if they haven't got the ability to do it and have had little experience of doing it previously, it'll be hard work. I'm involved in coaching (not football) and all my long term athlete development education has told me that teaching new skills and movements requiring co-ordination and spacial awareness will be very difficult after the age of 15. 

So, where I'm a bit unsure where we're at, having listened to all the comments from IE about each of our new players (particularly the defenders) as they were unveiled then seen the first three games, is are these lads who are who can defend but are also good on the ball, or are they lads who are big quick and strong but need some coaching in playing the way he wants. If it's the latter, it's going to take a good while and a good few more poor results, if it happens at all.

From what I've seen up to now, all I've seen is the latter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Casino said:

my mate shares the same surname with a centre back we had from oxford

He sees em most games but probably not as often as his dad

they both say crellin is fine but not great in the air

Fine at Chorley's level isn’t good enough for me,  we’ve a keeper who’s played in premier league at the club, he should start. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Fine at Chorley's level isn’t good enough for me,  we’ve a keeper who’s played in premier league at the club, he should start. 

Crellin has been fine so far.  We have lots of problems to be getting on with.  Goalkeeping isn't one of them right now  

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Crellin has been fine so far.  We have lots of problems to be getting on with.  Goalkeeping isn't one of them right now  

Agreed.  On a scale of 1 to 10, the goalkeeping position is a 2 or 3, not perfect but not costing us games.  Plenty other stuff to get right first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Vardys goals per games is unreal 

 

10 hours ago, emus wig said:

Nsiala playing at the back for Ipswich . 

 

1 hour ago, ianofcleveleys said:

On the point earlier about whether you can coach lads in their 20s to pass it to each other, if they haven't got the ability to do it and have had little experience of doing it previously, it'll be hard work. I'm involved in coaching (not football) and all my long term athlete development education has told me that teaching new skills and movements requiring co-ordination and spacial awareness will be very difficult after the age of 15. 

So, where I'm a bit unsure where we're at, having listened to all the comments from IE about each of our new players (particularly the defenders) as they were unveiled then seen the first three games, is are these lads who are who can defend but are also good on the ball, or are they lads who are big quick and strong but need some coaching in playing the way he wants. If it's the latter, it's going to take a good while and a good few more poor results, if it happens at all.

From what I've seen up to now, all I've seen is the latter. 

My concern is that IE makes a big thing about these players being tall, strong, athletic, fast.  But that applies to a million rugby players, basketball players, olympic athletes etc.  When the ball is played to you near the touchline and you need to control it, beat a man and pick a pass, it doesn't matter if you're built like Mike Tyson with the pace of Usaine Bolt, it doesn't give you football skills.  The likes of Greenidge and Santos aren't good footballers, and no they aren't going to be coached at their age to be good footballers, they are what they are.  Hobbs probably doesnt have a club at the moment and Kean Bryan is looking for games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Fine at Chorley's level isn’t good enough for me,  we’ve a keeper who’s played in premier league at the club, he should start. 

We've premier league midfielders and centre halves at the club should we play those too?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Fine at Chorley's level isn’t good enough for me,  we’ve a keeper who’s played in premier league at the club, he should start. 

It was only one level below the one we are actually at now 😳

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

The biggest downer for the iFollow is I should just watch and leave the sound off and listen to Gillette Soccer Saturday but the score come on before you watch it as the tinternet is about 1 minute behind

You not got a TV that you can pause for a minute? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

 

 

Hobbs probably doesnt have a club at the moment and Kean Bryan is looking for games.

I know its very early days, but both Hobbs and Bryan looked more more comfortable in posession than what we currently have. Chicksen and Emmanuel should also have been retained - easily good enough for this division.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I know its very early days, but both Hobbs and Bryan looked more more comfortable in posession than what we currently have. Chicksen and Emmanuel should also have been retained - easily good enough for this division.

Could be many different reasons why they weren't, but if its because IE didn't want them then we have to back his judgement for now. We were at Walsall in January in BSA's first season & some reckoned he had no idea what he was doing. 

      It's far too early to say if Evatt will be successful or not but at least he is trying to play football that will be attractive to watch which is something we've had precious little of for over 10 years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I have seen so far, I hope Evatt makes the following changes for the next match:

tutte for Comley - Comley has looked a clumsy tackler and sloppy passer which we can’t afford in that position.

hickman for Santos - move Jones to centre right as he looks better defensively than Santos.

Taft for Greenidge - looks a better player.

Crawford for Delfouneso - Id like to see AC and Sarcevic working together further up the pitch behind Doyle.

 Mascoll for Gordon - Gordon is missing defensively and adds little to the attack.

I think that team could get results.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

Delfouneso has been our best attacker so far. I would be disappointed if he was dropped so quickly.

Fair point but we need a better midfield base especially away.  We just need an extra body in there.  You could pick Delfounso instead of Doyle but the latter is a better goal threat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

This

We aren't getting the ball to him.  The only way I can see to resolve that is going 3-4-2-1 and we get our two best playmakers in the team (Crawford and Sarcevic).  Otherwise Delfounso and Doyle will keep working really hard and getting one chance a match.

Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I've seen so far I wouldn't say Sarce is so much a playmaker as he is an industrious goalscoring midfielder. Crawford needs to play every second that he's fit and we either need to get Darcy adopting that role as the only other player in the squad capable or make a signing for a player that can cover that role. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

From what I've seen so far I wouldn't say Sarce is so much a playmaker as he is an industrious goalscoring midfielder. Crawford needs to play every second that he's fit and we either need to get Darcy adopting that role as the only other player in the squad capable or make a signing for a player that can cover that role. 

Whatever he is, he needs someone to help him there as he is not on the ball enough. I think him and Crawford would do ok together in the right system.  The key for me is having Tutte and White playing more holding type roles rather than one getting completely swamped by the opposition.  The only downside is playing one forward but as we hardly get the ball to them something has to change IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Farrelli said:

Whatever he is, he needs someone to help him there as he is not on the ball enough. I think him and Crawford would do ok together in the right system.  The key for me is having Tutte and White playing more holding type roles rather than one getting completely swamped by the opposition.  The only downside is playing one forward but as we hardly get the ball to them something has to change IMO.

I think the key in this system going forwards isn't so much the midfield, it's the wing backs. They should be the ones getting in behind for cut backs or linking with the midfielder and the advanced wider CB to generate the offensive potential. Neither seem to be offering enough in that department so far, the one time we looked dangerous was when Hickman was offering this ability and we dominated, that needs to be happening constantly if this system is going to work. 

The midfield is there as a pivot point and to recycle possession until a defender is drawn out to allow a wing back space. I understand the frustration though and I get why you'd want to see more creativity coming through the middle but I honestly don't think that's supposed to be their job and may be why Crawford hasn't started as often as he should.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Farrelli said:

Fair point but we need a better midfield base especially away.  We just need an extra body in there.  You could pick Delfounso instead of Doyle but the latter is a better goal threat.

Drop another centre back and mob up in midfield 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

I think the key in this system going forwards isn't so much the midfield, it's the wing backs. They should be the ones getting in behind for cut backs or linking with the midfielder and the advanced wider CB to generate the offensive potential. Neither seem to be offering enough in that department so far, the one time we looked dangerous was when Hickman was offering this ability and we dominated, that needs to be happening constantly if this system is going to work. 

The midfield is there as a pivot point and to recycle possession until a defender is drawn out to allow a wing back space. I understand the frustration though and I get why you'd want to see more creativity coming through the middle but I honestly don't think that's supposed to be their job and may be why Crawford hasn't started as often as he should.

Offensive,Pivot point,Recycle ffs

Have a nice day

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.