Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

RIP Toots

MancWanderer

5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Terrible news. Delivered some absolute classics including:

Not really appropriate but I watched "Rudeboy: The History of Trojan Records" on Sky Arts 2 a couple of nights back. Excellent viewing for those with such impeccable taste.

That to me mate is the iconic Ska track. Not my favourite, Funky Kingston is, but to me 54-46 is what Ska is all about

• Members
On 13/09/2020 at 03:02, MancWanderer said:

That to me mate is the iconic Ska track. Not my favourite, Funky Kingston is, but to me 54-46 is what Ska is all about

Love that track too mate. Time takes another legend.

Once work is behind me sometime next year, I am looking forward to delving even deeper into the history not least because I have strong and fond memories from my teenage years of working class lads from Bolton being so massively influenced by this music and its associated style that they'd be there dancing to it and looking as smart as fuck at such places as the Bolton Palais, the Big Apple and even, from time to time, inside football stadia.

No internet etc. back then but nothing could stop the advance of this benign and contagious virus.

If I could make a suggestion, try to get yourself a copy of the "Studio One Story" - superb book/CD/DVD presentation featuring such greats as Sir Coxsone Dodd, The Skatalites, King Stitt, Marcia Griffiths etc. I can't give you an ISBN No. or owt like that. I just fished it out and the only number I can see says "PAL VERSION  5 026328 100685"

I very much doubt that you'd be disappointed with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter

I was in a bar in Preston 2 weeks ago and 54 46 came on the speakers as I was ordering drinks. 

Then Monkey Man follows it so I’ml getting all singing like and this unobtrusive guy on the next table, speaks up that he’s sick of the shite on the loop and he requested a tribute for Toots.

Top bloke.