Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Colchester V Bolton

Zico

My gut feeling is that I'll give him the whole season to get us looking like a potent team as long as he doesn't insist on 3-5-2 most weeks with this squad.  For the life of me I don't see it working, as our full backs aren't going to create enough whilst being exposed defensively.  If we play every game like today sounded, I'll take the defeats as being honest losses where the ball doesn't drop and next week can be better.  By the time we've played at Barrow in just a month's time we'll be 8 games into the season, that will give us a better idea.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/bolton-wanderers/12076551/colchester-2-0-bolton

The clip starting at 0:30 was one of our best moments of the game. Good accurate passing and a creative spark from White to get Jones to the byline.

Didn't see much of that last week and I think we'll see more and more of those moments as the team develops. I do worry that teams may figure us out and make us pay on the counter but the more we dominate the ball, the less chances teams will have against us and the more we will find ways to unlock defences through moments like that.

Cut out the individual errors and be a bit more clinical and we'll win plenty this season.

Positive signs but the disappointing results are overshadowing everything and managing the squad mentality may be more important than the tactics in the immediate future.

7 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Love the positivity, and glad no one is being stupid and calling for Evatt's head. However, it won't take long if we don't at least draw soon for this to build up. Its better but I still can't see us winning with this formation.

To be fair, yesterday’s formation was completely different to Forest Green - it was 4 at the back yesterday (and I thought the full backs looked better suited to it).

Yesterday at least had positive signs in there. Forest Green was beyond shit. We could do with Doyle getting a goal pretty quickly - once he’s up and running and hopefully taking early chances and putting us ahead in games then I think the confidence, and results, will come.

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Love the positivity, and glad no one is being stupid and calling for Evatt's head. However, it won't take long if we don't at least draw soon for this to build up. Its better but I still can't see us winning with this formation.

Where is TSO/JayC this week?

15 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

See I didn’t think it was that bad 

compared to forest green it was a step up more movement and creating more (half chances)

but ultimately again it’s shoddy defending 

I would agree, miles better than last week and looked dangerous.  The first goal there should be no way a man ghosts in like that and not be marked to some degree and the second goal was comic book defending.

overall, we have given a play off team from last season a decent game.  If we had scored first we would have won.

i feel a win is coming and no doubt then we might go on a bit of a run, but from the fans point of view we need it quickly.

still couldn’t get ifollow to work on laptop, so iPad again - going to drive me daft if I have to watch it on that all season

Its frustrating that the way the calendar is this season, we wont have any midweek games until mid-late October while they cram league cup games in.

Would prefer to have us playing again Tuesday to try and improve more, rather than a full week of fallout from every match for 6 weeks.

12 hours ago, Blondi said:

Give the new manager time FFS, it's a brand new squad with about 18 players signed and a brand new playing style for the majority of them too, have some patience!

I have patience and I beleive it will come good, I merely stated that Keith Hill & Kenneth Anderson will be laughing at us right now.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Eddie said:

To be fair, yesterday’s formation was completely different to Forest Green - it was 4 at the back yesterday (and I thought the full backs looked better suited to it).

Yesterday at least had positive signs in there. Forest Green was beyond shit. We could do with Doyle getting a goal pretty quickly - once he’s up and running and hopefully taking early chances and putting us ahead in games then I think the confidence, and results, will come.

Glad I wasn’t the only one who picked up in this. So many “official” sources and randomers on twatter claiming it was still 5 at the back.

I agree with everything you said, completely different to Forrest Green.

For me another positive and aspect of realism we can draw from yesterday is that IE is willing to change formations/tactics. For Christ’s sakes it’s 2 league games! He needs these games to experiment and find his best combinations and to see where the gaps are in his squad.

Patience is the key, he’s said it himself it isn’t magically going to happen after a few weeks. 

Lets take the positives, leave the negatives to him, trust him to sort it out.

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

I'm giving Evatt all season and all next season at least, those on Twitter asking for his head need to give theirs a wobble. We need stability and I'm confident he will get it right, we need to be more clinical and lose that losing habit we have had for the last 10 years.

This with ringing bells, bulls bollocks and draped in blonde swedish virgins. 

In this for the long run now, things HAVE changed.

The Evatt out brigade, should go and continue making tin foil hats.

I don't like to make comparisons with other teams in other seasons etc, but it really should be noted that Evatt did a similar rebuild at Barrow last season and got 7pts from their first 9 games.

We've also essentially built a squad around 2/3 from last year's team that was shit, a couple of L2's best from last season and the rest are freebies/loans from middling L2 teams or even non-league.

Edited by Traf

With a bit of luck yesterday, we could have scored a handful of goals ourselves, whilst they had very few chances if truth be told.

We'd still have lost that game with Chino Keef in charge but (a) it would have been by 4 or more and (b) we'd have lost not even having a go.

We're 0 from 4 under Evatt all told, but I've seen improvement from game to game. It'll click and we'll start winning. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

IEWT.

• Members
12 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Seen loads of evatt out on Facebook groups but it’s folk messing

fans are disappointed me included but see the bigger picture and he will get it right 

Yeah I’m convinced he’ll get it right, how many players has he signed 15? And they all looked like they knew each other, comfortable on the ball. Conceding goals with mistakes I can live with. We’re not being ripped apart or battered. 

Barring injuries he is sticking to the same players week in week out. I find the goalkeeper position strange as in we have brought him in on loan knowing he is not quite ready for league football. He will become a decent keeper i have no doubts about that but it is us that he will do his learning with and he will make some major howlers. He will return to Fleetwood a better keeper next May but at our expense. Right back we have no problems. Centre Backs Delaney and Taff have to start.

Left back We need a defender who can actually defend. Like Crellin  Liam Gordon will improve and i would like to see him play a little further up with Mascoll given a go.

Midfield  We need to play with two in the centre who have something creative unlike white and Comley....would like Crawford and Tutt  to be the central two. Hickman out wide right and Gordon out wide left giving him more confidence.

Doyle and Delfounseso up front.

I would love Evatt to try 442 until injuries or confidence returns

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Glad I wasn’t the only one who picked up in this. So many “official” sources and randomers on twatter claiming it was still 5 at the back.

I agree with everything you said, completely different to Forrest Green.

For me another positive and aspect of realism we can draw from yesterday is that IE is willing to change formations/tactics. For Christ’s sakes it’s 2 league games! He needs these games to experiment and find his best combinations and to see where the gaps are in his squad.

Patience is the key, he’s said it himself it isn’t magically going to happen after a few weeks. 

Lets take the positives, leave the negatives to him, trust him to sort it out.

I agree with giving him time but we can’t keep saying he has only had two games - we can’t ignore the cup game against Bradford and possibly the Crewe game either 

7 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

I agree with giving him time but we can’t keep saying he has only had two games - we can’t ignore the cup game against Bradford and possibly the Crewe game either 

Yes we can .He gets ten league games for me if cant see improvement after that then time to be worried.