Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Back int ground

stevieb

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'm not so sure. The leagues as we know them are bread and butter to fans. European adventures are something special to be enjoyed occasionally. Take that away and away trips become expensive and the "norm". Soon get tired of it all I reckon. 

I just think the top clubs have so many potential day tripper supporters that it would be sustainable. And the TV money would be off the scale.

We all know a correction in football is long overdue, but there’s no way it’ll end up with parity amongst the 92.

The big lads will detach themselves claiming it makes sense for football to survive without them under new, capped terms.

They May have a one in one out relegation trapdoor, but it’s more likely to end up as a franchise situation based on finances.

four divisions of 20 teams with the likes of Southampton challenging with West Ham for the title by 2030.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, stevieb said:

Football dies for me at that point. 

Marc or whoever put it earlier nailed it. You can take a shit loss if you've had a decent afternoon boozing and having a good laugh with people you know. Take that away and your whole afternoon and mindset for the evening is dependent on the result. Fuck that. 

I'd rather not watch football. 

It's becoming a passing interest at the moment

I get all up for it during the week then something happens and i don't end up watching the match

I've watched Bradford, gave up on Crewe due to shit stream, saw a bit of FGR sat on a beach, second half of Colchester and missed Newport as the Mrs wanted a day out

I'm hoping to watch Harrogate but I'm not Holding my breath

Not being able to go definitely makes it less of a priority

Im only not pissed off about it because I've not missed anything yet

TBF this started about 2 seasons ago, i didn't see us win last season

I don't understand the argument that government shouldn't support football during this difficult period, professional football is just a business like every other in different sectors that are receiving help.

If the highly paid footballers are a factor how do they differ from the highly paid directors and management of businesses that are receiving tax payers money to help them through. It's worth also considering that not all footballers are that highly paid.

The argument made by others regarding the tax revenue that football brings in through various means also holds water, if clubs go to the wall that tax revenue has gone.

1 hour ago, Marc505 said:

Good article this, sums up some of the things discussed on here.

Great read.  Loved this bit - "Eric Dier appears to be playing football on your TV screen more or less constantly.  Brave new world that has such indomitable one-paced utility defenders in it".  So true, just wish I could have thought of putting it like that.  Tiresome "entertainment".  

2 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Good article this, sums up some of the things discussed on here.

Great article .. makes you wonder where this ultimately leads to  - will we one day reach the stage in the not too distant future where a live match without spectators gets called off because of bad weather and they replace it with a game of Football Manager and no one notices  ? 

2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Great read.  Loved this bit - "Eric Dier appears to be playing football on your TV screen more or less constantly.  Brave new world that has such indomitable one-paced utility defenders in it".  So true, just wish I could have thought of putting it like that.  Tiresome "entertainment".  

23 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

Great article .. makes you wonder where this ultimately leads to  - will we one day reach the stage in the not too distant future where a live match without spectators gets called off because of bad weather and they replace it with a game of Football Manager and no one notices  ? 

It's full of expressions that really sum things up for me.

"Last weekend it was possible to watch live Premier League football from midday to 10pm, all of it basically the same homogenised, unceasing, geographically nonspecific substance."

And that is so true. These games we are watching right now for me are just "A Team v A Team at A Stadium". Could be any match, anywhere and apart from a few star players here and there, any team. Theres no unique flavour to a match without a crowd or away end.

The longer this goes on, the more normalised it becomes. They say football without fans is nothing but apart from people who physically go to matches and travel about, who actually believes that anymore? For many, as long as theres a match on telly, bets are running, fantasy team is ticking over, twitter is updating, and crowd noise is on, who gives a fuck?

Loads will never return.

No money & new social circles.

Football is habitual and has always been over-priced, especially if you factor in the away day out.

The only saving grace is that there has been nothing to replace it due to lock-down etc...

The club will have to do something because folk won’t be tipping up again  for S/T’s next season, for nothing in return.

Especially if we're still in L2. I know it's the level we are at now and probably a reflection on me not fully accepting it, but striving to get out of League 2... and the reward is just League 1, another division full of shit.

Feels a lot different than getting promoted into Championship and PL. Tough sell!

On 29/09/2020 at 19:10, Spider said:

This just plays into the hands of the top 8/9/10 premier league clubs who have way more armchair fans than ticket holders.

I doubt the scouse chairman is losing any sleep over this.

They don’t owe the rest of the football pyramid a penny in the real world.

I suspect Covid has brought the European super league several years closer.

I doubt our chairman is losing any sleep about it. 

I was thinking about this. No costs of home games in terms of staffing. Majority of crowd all paid up. We now gain additional away income via ifollow. With the salary cap I’d guess we are not struggling per se.

Whether they want us back because football is shite without fans. That’s a different argument.

25 minutes ago, tomski said:

I was thinking about this. No costs of home games in terms of staffing. Majority of crowd all paid up. We now gain additional away income via ifollow. With the salary cap I’d guess we are not struggling per se.

Whether they want us back because football is shite without fans. That’s a different argument.

Our owners must be sitting prettier than most other clubs with our 8000 plus ST holders, might mean we have the wherewithal to push up the leagues with us being financially more stable than most at this level. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

It will have to be free 21/22 tickets if we don’t get to see this season 

But only a fortnight ago, lots were pontificating about how we’ve “done it for the club” but now we want something for free next season for splashing out on this season.

1 minute ago, MickyD said:

But only a fortnight ago, lots were pontificating about how we’ve “done it for the club” but now we want something for free next season for splashing out on this season.

Me included didn’t mind writing off a couple of months ( not forgetting the 2/3 from last)  so if we don’t see any of this season I’d certainly be expecting some kind of discount season after 

1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

It will have to be free 21/22 tickets if we don’t get to see this season 

But free season tickets = huge loss for club/no new signings/probably relegation.  I'd rather pay £250 or whatever, and yes I agree there has to be some sort of concession for the money we've wasted this year, but we also want a club that plays in EFL.

50 minutes ago, tomski said:

I should imagine we are still losing money, that will need to be pumped in by the owners. We lost money in League 1 let alone league 2 

Think the losses will be narrower though, the Business rates waiver is a massive one, think we were paying something like £1.5m a year - I bet we don’t make much more than that selling 8k season tickets 

1 hour ago, Marc505 said:

Especially if we're still in L2. I know it's the level we are at now and probably a reflection on me not fully accepting it, but striving to get out of League 2... and the reward is just League 1, another division full of shit.

Feels a lot different than getting promoted into Championship and PL. Tough sell!

Its got to be said, of all the promotions you can get - from Conference to EFL, Lge 2 to Lge 1, Lge 1 to Champ, Champ to Prem - 2 to 1 is the one of least significance.  I hardly even notice who goes up from Lge 2 each season but all the other promotions seem really significant.  We need promotion just to get to a league where we'd be really excited about what success can mean.

5 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

But free season tickets = huge loss for club/no new signings/probably relegation.  I'd rather pay £250 or whatever, and yes I agree there has to be some sort of concession for the money we've wasted this year, but we also want a club that plays in EFL.

Yes free bit rash 

but something decent I don’t mean to be entered into some draw for a signed shirt or cup tickets