Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Underrated bands/groups/singers

Not in Crawley

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

less of the negativity, who has written genius music but for whatever reason, bad luck, ugly singer, wrong place wrong time they never got the breaks the music deserved (or who are known for one thing but have done so much more - someone like The Sweet for example)

Let's start in Bolton - Cherry Ghost?

Good shout - Bolton’s Si Aldred worked and collaborated with a few good uns over the years including Avici and Liam Gallagher.

Went to school with him and was good mates with him - however not seen/spoke to him for years. 

8 hours ago, Carlos said:

I’m mates with Cathy the bassist after talking to her at various gigs.

She won't remember this but back in the early 90s they became Dumb who were brilliant as well and they did a gig at Hawthorns. It was full of folk who'd gone for after hours ale and not the bands that were on but the sound they made was fucking incredible. I was that pissed I got confused at one point and kept shouting Swerve and instead of twatting me Mark just gave me a wave.

Bad story but good times.

2 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

She won't remember this but back in the early 90s they became Dumb who were brilliant as well and they did a gig at Hawthorns. It was full of folk who'd gone for after hours ale and not the bands that were on but the sound they made was fucking incredible. I was that pissed I got confused at one point and kept shouting Swerve and instead of twatting me Mark just gave me a wave.

Bad story but good times.

There was one band, who were breathtaking - think they were called Perry. Terrible name but an amazing band if you caught them live.

Perry have been niggling me all day because I have some memory of the name but not really them, my mate went as far as telling me about practising at Redbridge and how we'd seen em loads.

It's mad when you think you could watch bands in town a good 4 days a week for a while, some good solid stuff like Three Fat Bastards, Right Band Wrong Planet, Tony Auton and loads loads more.

Any road back on topic I've been listening to a mix bag this week, Carter USM and the like. Do Ned's count as underrated?

21 hours ago, emus wig said:

Nearly dan are a superb tribute band if your into Steely Dan obviously Limehouse Lizzy fab  also .

Talking of tribute bands, after a lass at our place said she'd just been to see a Roy Orbison tribute act then I wondered what punning name he could have.

Couldn't think of one, but then a moment of genius came to me (if I say so myself).

If he was "Boy Orbison" then it's two for the price of one - first half of the gig he's dressed as Boy George, singing Orbison songs, then after the interval he comes out dressed as Roy Orbison, singing Karma Chameleon etc. It's got immense potential!

17 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Perry have been niggling me all day because I have some memory of the name but not really them, my mate went as far as telling me about practising at Redbridge and how we'd seen em loads.

It's mad when you think you could watch bands in town a good 4 days a week for a while, some good solid stuff like Three Fat Bastards, Right Band Wrong Planet, Tony Auton and loads loads more.

Any road back on topic I've been listening to a mix bag this week, Carter USM and the like. Do Ned's count as underrated?

We be fair we probably didn't linger too long in the memory 😁

• Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Neds, Stuffies, Carter, Cud, PWEI - all under rated when you look back.

At the time, they felt massive but we were in that bubble I suppose.