Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

pwopa Nawty

Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter

When I was a mature student in 1985-6 I was always skint, spending most of what money I had in the pubs and clubs of Bolton at weekends. I was chatting to a mate in Rockerfellas and he suggested applying for a doorman position. It’d mean I still get to do the nightclub stuff but no drinking means no spending.

I applied there and then, had an interview there and then as well and was offered the chance to start next night. Kitted out with a white tux, I needed to go in town next day for a black shirt and here I was, nightclub bouncer!

I hated almost every minute of it. I’m not in any way a fighter but here I was, being asked to keep order in an alcohol-fuelled club. 

i left there in May 86 to join the fire service and the rest, as they say, is history.

The reason I’m saying this was because of this:

10 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

I can't let go of anger and shit still haunts me after 20 years. Horrible way to live life

About 10 or 12 years after I’d left Rockerfellas, I’d gone in town, just me and MrsD. Called in Corks’ and the doorman, a guy called Marcus, told me he was dying for a pee but was on his own. Would I mind standing on the door for 5 minutes? The only dress code was no jeans or trainers.

First lad up, jeans and trainers. Told him no but he said he was a mate of Marcus. I said when Marcus came back he could go in but not while I’d been told not to let him in.

Fucking hell, WWIII erupted! Apparently, I was the cunt who once didn’t let him in Rockerfellas and I must have a hidden agenda with my dislike for him. I pointed out that it was at least 10 years ago and he really must learn to let things go. It wasn’t my finest moment and street brawling at 34-35 years old was never ideal. 

What I’m saying, @Dr Faustus is that you really do need to learn to let things pass or it festers like fuck such that by the time you come up against your arch nemesis you’ve likely as not forgotten what the beef was in the first place.

• Members

@MickyD

I think bouncers have changed now, I might be wrong but I always thought they were handy lads to keep people out and turf people out, always dressed in a tux or a suit 

Nowawdays, they’re  steroid monkeys who work for G4S with padded gloves on who are just looking for a reason to knock seven shades of shite out of someone rather than keep order

Edited by Rudy

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, Rudy said:

@MickyD

I think bouncers have changed now, I might be wrong but I always thought they were handy lads to keep people out and turf people out, always dressed in a tux or a suit 

Nowawdays, they’re  steroid monkeys who work for G4S with padded gloves on who are just looking for a reason to knock seven shades of shite out of someone rather than keep order

Rockerfellas employed door staff, not bouncers. The ability to talk to people was at least as important as the ability to drag folk out.

10 hours ago, tomski said:

If I do get wound up it’s normally left me after about a minute. I never like how out of control that minute makes me feel.  Nothing horrendous but I like to be on top of things

Got to say, you're the least wound-up bloke I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Nothing seems to phase you and you just crack on with a positive outlook.

15 hours ago, MickyD said:

When I was a mature student in 1985-6 I was always skint, spending most of what money I had in the pubs and clubs of Bolton at weekends. I was chatting to a mate in Rockerfellas and he suggested applying for a doorman position. It’d mean I still get to do the nightclub stuff but no drinking means no spending.

I applied there and then, had an interview there and then as well and was offered the chance to start next night. Kitted out with a white tux, I needed to go in town next day for a black shirt and here I was, nightclub bouncer!

I hated almost every minute of it. I’m not in any way a fighter but here I was, being asked to keep order in an alcohol-fuelled club. 

i left there in May 86 to join the fire service and the rest, as they say, is history.

The reason I’m saying this was because of this:

About 10 or 12 years after I’d left Rockerfellas, I’d gone in town, just me and MrsD. Called in Corks’ and the doorman, a guy called Marcus, told me he was dying for a pee but was on his own. Would I mind standing on the door for 5 minutes? The only dress code was no jeans or trainers.

First lad up, jeans and trainers. Told him no but he said he was a mate of Marcus. I said when Marcus came back he could go in but not while I’d been told not to let him in.

Fucking hell, WWIII erupted! Apparently, I was the cunt who once didn’t let him in Rockerfellas and I must have a hidden agenda with my dislike for him. I pointed out that it was at least 10 years ago and he really must learn to let things go. It wasn’t my finest moment and street brawling at 34-35 years old was never ideal. 

What I’m saying, @Dr Faustus is that you really do need to learn to let things pass or it festers like fuck such that by the time you come up against your arch nemesis you’ve likely as not forgotten what the beef was in the first place.

I'll never forget bud. Never

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

I remember being chucked out of Maxwell's by our own Fred Dicky

There were some fearsome buggers worked doors in Bolton and they’d descend on Rockerfellas after their pubs shut. Sometimes it worked in your favour having that many door staff in one place meant someone was always watching your back.

One Wednesday grab-a-granny night (over thirties only! Imaging that, over 30 was considered old.) about 01.00 a relief manager, who had come from The Grafton Rooms in Liverpool came to the entrance to get me to stop a one-on-one fight. I got to the incident and it was Barry Lomax against Oliver Brady. I said to the relief manager that Mecca Leisure didn’t pay me enough to get involved. He left a note to my normal manager accusing me of dereliction of duty. I told him who was fighting and he took a sharp intake of breath and said he didn’t blame me. He also phoned the relief manager and told him to wind his neck in in future, he may be able to send his own door staff into suicide situations but don’t send his Bolton staff.

Edited by MickyD

5 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

I remember being chucked out of Maxwell's by our own Fred Dicky

Me and Col tried to get in Va Va's in the early 70s after having a skinful in town, Fred was on the door and said no entry, you've had to much. Col tried to walk past and Fred chucked him down the stairs, he asked me did i want to go in, I said no, i've suddenly changed my mind.

3 hours ago, MickyD said:

There were some fearsome buggers worked doors in Bolton and they’d descend on Rockerfellas after their pubs shut. Sometimes it worked in your favour having that many door staff in one place meant someone was always watching your back.

One Wednesday grab-a-granny night (over thirties only! Imaging that, over 30 was considered old.) about 01.00 a relief manager, who had come from The Grafton Rooms in Liverpool came to the entrance to get me to stop a one-on-one fight. I got to the incident and it was Barry Lorax against Oliver Brady. I said to the relief manager that Mecca Leisure didn’t pay me enough to get involved. He left a note to my normal manager accusing me of dereliction of duty. I told him who was fighting and he took a sharp intake of breath and said he didn’t blame me. He also phoned the relief manager and told him to wind his neck in in future, he may be able to send his own door staff into suicide situations but don’t send his Bolton staff.

He is a blast from the past, played football against him, before the game one of their players came into our changing room and said, "Ollie Brady's back", fuck me the room went silent, he was actually alright on the pitch (that day anyway)

5 minutes ago, victor meldrew said:

i worked at maxwells plum in the early 80's the bouncers were frightening.

the amount of blokes who were taken out the back and kicked to fuck just for being pissed.

Wiggin town centre had a fearsome reputation with bouncers ran by some thug called Hooker in the 80s beating folk senseless.

• Site Supporter
23 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

He is a blast from the past, played football against him, before the game one of their players came into our changing room and said, "Ollie Brady's back", fuck me the room went silent, he was actually alright on the pitch (that day anyway)

Did you not come across Ollie in a professional capacity R? 

• Site Supporter

He was definitely one to have on your side.

Another Rockerfellas story; I once needed a Wednesday night off and at the time you’d sort time off yourself. As long as your shift was covered you got your time off.

Anyway, I managed to find someone to cover.

Fred Dickinson’s ex-wife, Racheal worked at the bottom of the stairs in the cloakroom. She’d heard that Fred was coming in to see her but she told the door staff she didn’t want to see him.

He turned up and the one doorman explained that Racheal had asked that he isn’t allowed in.

Big mistake!

All I can say is that I’m glad it wasn’t me. He got a proper kicking AND Fred went down to see his ex-wife so it was a bit of wasted bravado.