Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cover versions

Spider

1 hour ago, emus wig said:

All day and all of the night the Stranglers .Its a great song but they defo added something to it .

Speaking of the Stranglers and cover versions......

Edit - Just seen Mr Grey's post. Well here you go anyway

Edited by mickbrown

• Site Supporter

Slightly off-topic, but I've always thought it's a fucking disgrace that Led Zeppelin still have writing credits on Whole Lotta Love (probably "their" most famous song). It was a fucking cover of a cover!

Edited by Cheese

• Members

I’m sorry but if you post anything about Phil Collins that is positive you need to shake your head

The man is god awful.

Johnny Cash - Hurt is just perfect

Disturbed sound of silence is a big bag of bollocks

Adele’s make you feel my lover is a brilliant cover, mainly because Bob Dylan sounds like he’s had a full weekends session on the spice

11 hours ago, Cheese said:

Apologies for bombarding the topic with Radiohead videos, but they're the best band in the world in my opinion. This is how to cover a Smiths song.

I love Radiohead. I just find them a bit self indulgent nowadays. Mind you - they're all pretty much the perfectly balanced band as musicians - and it must get boring doing 4 chord classics after a while.

This is my favourite cover of a Smith's song. A bit off the wall - but if you're going to cover a classic then at least do something different with it! 

14 hours ago, Cheese said:

Slightly off-topic, but I've always thought it's a fucking disgrace that Led Zeppelin still have writing credits on Whole Lotta Love (probably "their" most famous song). It was a fucking cover of a cover!

happens a lot, the clash "i fought the law" was originally by the bobby fuller four , but i think it were originally by the crickets (sans buddy holly) but fuller or the the clash dont claim to have written it. 

i suppose nearer to that-

her who writes all kylie minogues records ripped off this 

when the house thing was in-

steve silk hurley were in the middle of covering "i cant turn around" by isaac hayes and farley funking keith (who was living with hurley at the time) ripped him off and released his first. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LDtbXxemnPw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ApBT7xZpv5s

around that time, when the cutup records were a thing (s express , technotronic , jive bunny and the like) the shitbags at S/A/W sued (i think s-express) for unorthorized use of a s/a/w sample (from a kylie and jason record)  to stop "theme from s express" beating "never gonna give you up"by rick astley to number one... 

but the rick astley record blatantly ripped off the totally excellent colonel abrahams record "trapped" like folk wouldnt remember.

the stalling tactic worked btw. and dont think the kate bush producer guy (hang on .. *bing's* his name) richard james burgess sued or anything. 

so the twats got away twice. jjb