Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Harrogate v Bolton

Biggish Dave

16 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

But that's IEs fault at the moment, its not because its too optimistic to think we can reach the levels that FGR, Colchester and Newport have reached.  When the likes of Boro, Derby and Wolves were putting 3 or 4 past us without breaking sweat, we knew we couldn't hope to match them.  You're not telling me we cant aspire to match Newport this season.

You should be turning up at training and helping out. 

6 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Lose 1-0 to a Tom Walker goal 

And one for @MalcolmW - Jon Stead first played against us for Blackburn in December 2004. If he plays on Saturday, is there anyone else who has played against us over such a long period of time? 

Stanley Matthews ? I'm not sure when his first and last games were against us but his playing career spanned about 30 years.

6 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

And one for @MalcolmW - Jon Stead first played against us for Blackburn in December 2004. If he plays on Saturday, is there anyone else who has played against us over such a long period of time? 

Peter Shilton whilst not against us both times, I bet there was an absolutely massive amount of years between his first game against us, and when he did eventually play for us

19 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

We have to stop the rot a draw would be a result for us at the moment 

If we can either score or go 45 minutes without looking like conceding that would be something to hold onto.  Anything but a 2-0 or worse defeat will be seen as a step in the right direction.

I love how the interview always starts with the same question - how has training gone?  Answer - its gone great.

And repeat x 46.  Not a dig at IE by the way, every manager has to confirm every week that the lads have been buzzin' in training, and its been great to see them having little fallouts, it shows they care.

Seen someone commenting today on the article with Evatt saying Sarcevic is training like a man possessed, that the pressure this team puts on itself through its own words is astonishing. 

Bang on. I feel like you've got to have a really special and tight squad, that's been together for ages and that you know inside out to be able to constantly keep coming out raising the stakes and painting targets on their back because you know for sure they'll be able to respond. Sink or swim time during this busy October.

• Site Supporter

Liked the bit about not being here to make friends they are here to win.

He makes a good point that when you throw lads together like this for the first time they don’t want to upset anyone, they don’t want to blame anyone. In other words they don’t want to come across as being Billy Big Bollocks and making themselves unpopular.

But as IE says, they’ve got to make themselves accountable, they’ve got to take on a meaner streak.

It’s another example (one I certainly overlooked) of how complex it is moulding together a completely new squad. 

• Site Supporter

We've scored equalisers in our last 2 games that were both wrongfully disallowed. If either of those had stood, I reckon we would have gone on to win at least 1 of those matches.... We really, really need a goal.

10 hours ago, Cheese said:

We've scored equalisers in our last 2 games that were both wrongfully disallowed. If either of those had stood, I reckon we would have gone on to win at least 1 of those matches.... We really, really need a goal.

Delfounso was handball.

Whether the officials guessed is largely irrelevent, it was handball.

I'm not sure anyone has seen a conclusive angle that shows if Baptiste was offside or not.

So while it was gutting to see them disallowed (And my gut feeling is that Baptiste was onside) you cant say they were wrongly disallowed. That would be re-inventing history, and I know from other threads you are against that.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Delfounso was handball.

Whether the officials guessed is largely irrelevent, it was handball.

I'm not sure anyone has seen a conclusive angle that shows if Baptiste was offside or not.

So while it was gutting to see them disallowed (And my gut feeling is that Baptiste was onside) you cant say they were wrongly disallowed. That would be re-inventing history, and I know from other threads you are against that.

OK, maybe "wrongfully disallowed" is not the right way to put it. What I meant was - both of those decisions were contentious, and had either goal stood I think there'd be a totally different atmosphere to the current one.