Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Harrogate v Bolton

Biggish Dave

12 minutes ago, blackleywhite said:

Well I've had a good day.

My football team won, and my rugby league team won. And got to the challenge cup final as a result. Might never see that happen again in my lifetime so I've done the only thing open to me and have got cunted. 

Same, although I’m shit Salford fan. Wish my uncle was alive to see Salford today he was 52 year season ticket holder at the Willows. 

Here's some research, no charge.  Delaney has started 3 league games for us.  All away from home.  No defeats yet, 2 draws and a win.  Not only that, we're yet to go a goal down with him in the team, and he's scored 1 of the 4 goals scored in the 3 games.  1st defender's name on the team sheet until our next loss please.

24 minutes ago, desperado said:

There’s a danger in posting nonsense pre/mid game.

FFS These players are the ones that IE has seen work their bollocks off during the week.

The players who were going to put their bodies on the line to get us a result today.

And they did 

Your comments have proved ridiculous

The formation - it worked, we have got 3 points

Brockbank, he wasn’t awful

Defence - It wasn’t fucking wank

I suggest you either wait till 90 mins is up or be a little more subjective in your comments

Nonsense from you there.  Did we win 8-0 with no shots on our goal?  So we could have played better then?

I'm skipping at our result and it sounds like Brockbank had a decent game and I couldnt be happier for him.  Maybe if Darcy was given a game we'd all be pleased for him if he played well too?  You probably think that because we hung on Comley is automatically a better player than Darcy.  Not necessarily my opinion, but each to their own.  I repeat, that defensive lineup looks scary to me, if we start with that against Grimsby I'll be concerned, I prefer 4 at the back with 2 orthodox full backs, 2 centre backs and less passing it around (Santos).  And you might be happy with no sub goalie but I think its a risk not worth taking.  If Crellin goes over on his ankle after 10 minutes we arent even talking about the possibility of getting a point today. Let's not stop people having their pre-match say, we can all comment with the benefit of hingsight.

17 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Here's some research, no charge.  Delaney has started 3 league games for us.  All away from home.  No defeats yet, 2 draws and a win.  Not only that, we're yet to go a goal down with him in the team, and he's scored 1 of the 4 goals scored in the 3 games.  1st defender's name on the team sheet until our next loss please.

Looks a proper defender first and foremost and that’ll do for me. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Nonsense from you there.  Did we win 8-0 with no shots on our goal?  So we could have played better then?

I'm skipping at our result and it sounds like Brockbank had a decent game and I couldnt be happier for him.  Maybe if Darcy was given a game we'd all be pleased for him if he played well too?  You probably think that because we hung on Comley is automatically a better player than Darcy.  Not necessarily my opinion, but each to their own.  I repeat, that defensive lineup looks scary to me, if we start with that against Grimsby I'll be concerned, I prefer 4 at the back with 2 orthodox full backs, 2 centre backs and less passing it around (Santos).  And you might be happy with no sub goalie but I think its a risk not worth taking.  If Crellin goes over on his ankle after 10 minutes we arent even talking about the possibility of getting a point today. Let's not stop people having their pre-match say, we can all comment with the benefit of hingsight.

Nonsense from me?! Really where is that? Where did I say 8-0? No shots on goal? I’m quoting direct comments from you pre/mid game which have proven to be nonsense. My comments post game pretty much reflect the comments pre-game, nothing to do with hindsight. You just seem to be somebody who’s some kind of tactical expert who knows better than IE

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Rizlar said:

Football is about opinions not everybody agrees thats why we love the game I still stand by my comments about Brockbank .

Fair enough - I thought he had a good game today. He surely must have been one of those players who IE wanted to stand out on the training field, showing their passion, putting their bodies on the line, which is what he was looking for this week. And as one of Harwoods own, and someone who led from the front in the dark days last year, I find that heartwarming and rewarding for any any Bolton fan. I hope he cements his place in this side going forward. But if he doesn’t IE will have good reason to replace him. 

Funny that many think it was our best performance today. I think first half, yes, definitely up there but we had to forgo possession for much of that second half, pretty much abandoned brand Evatt. Not saying possession is indicative of success, results show that's not the case and it's good Evatt's shown humility to go against his principles and philosophy to get results, I just hope we make progress towards attractive football.

Evatt said in the post match that it wasn't as pretty as he'd have liked but that will come. I wonder how he'll balance it going forward. Possession football may be a way off yet until we can get some consistency going. Fine by me as long as we get more points on the board. Plenty of time to instil the philosophy.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mantra said:

Funny that many think it was our best performance today. I think first half, yes, definitely up there but we had to forgo possession for much of that second half, pretty much abandoned brand Evatt. Not saying possession is indicative of success, results show that's not the case and it's good Evatt's shown humility to go against his principles and philosophy to get results, I just hope we make progress towards attractive football.

Evatt said in the post match that it wasn't as pretty as he'd have liked but that will come. I wonder how he'll balance it going forward. Possession football may be a way off yet until we can get some consistency going. Fine by me as long as we get more points on the board. Plenty of time to instil the philosophy.

Doesn’t really have to address it if we carry on getting results. A huge part of football is confidence. Carry on winning, performances will come. Carry on being inconsistent and they wont

I was never certain on Brockbank, I've not seen much of him admittedly but seemed like a player fans liked more because he's from the academy, rather than based on merit. But today he did very well. Couple of mistakes but for the most part did his job well. Long may it continue.

Shame that Gethin Jones is probably going to be out for a while, the administration embargo/squad limit could fuck us over if we keep picking up injuries like this. Didn't think Politic's absence would be that significant at the start of the season but definitely would've been useful based on these past few games.

11 minutes ago, desperado said:

Nonsense from me?! Really where is that? Where did I say 8-0? No shots on goal? I’m quoting direct comments from you pre/mid game which have proven to be nonsense. My comments post game pretty much reflect the comments pre-game, nothing to do with hindsight. You just seem to be somebody who’s some kind of tactical expert who knows better than IE

The nonsense from you is to say that everyone else's pre-match opinion was nonsense, or words to that effect.  The 8-0 reference was me saying that unless we won absolutely convincingly by taking the opposition apart, like some of our 5-0 defeats last season, then even in victory we can look at how we can improve.  Just like when we lose like at Colchester, it doesnt mean every player was dire, every manager's pick was wrong.  So today, not everything was right was it?  Since when did giving an opinion equal being a tactical expert?  I dont think suggesting having a sub keeper means I'm Clough/Fergie, can you divulge if you're happy to play the next 42 games with no sub keeper?  Or are pre-match opinions only allowed if you're the manager?

4 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Doesn’t really have to address it if we carry on getting results. A huge part of football is confidence. Carry on winning, performances will come. Carry on being inconsistent and they wont

Doesn't have to but he will want to because that's the sort of manager he wants to be. He wants that transformation if not for us then for his CV. Be interesting to see how he handles that. First and foremost results though, he'll know that or he won't get the chance to make the transformation.

Edited by Mantra

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The nonsense from you is to say that everyone else's pre-match opinion was nonsense, or words to that effect.  The 8-0 reference was me saying that unless we won absolutely convincingly by taking the opposition apart, like some of our 5-0 defeats last season, then even in victory we can look at how we can improve.  Just like when we lose like at Colchester, it doesnt mean every player was dire, every manager's pick was wrong.  So today, not everything was right was it?  Since when did giving an opinion equal being a tactical expert?  I dont think suggesting having a sub keeper means I'm Clough/Fergie, can you divulge if you're happy to play the next 42 games with no sub keeper?  Or are pre-match opinions only allowed if you're the manager?

Well to me it’s nonsense if it’s not proven to be true. And nothing you have said for this game has proven to be true, has it? Of course that’s a matter of opinion and I don’t t want to fall in to the trap I did last time of being condescending to your opinion.

But unless your situation changed, you didn’t even watch the game and you were trying to predict/guess/hypothesise on what was/may be happening or am I wrong?

9 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

These sentences you use:

...I’ll be happy with...

...I’ll settle for...

etc

Who exactly do you think you are and influence you have 🤷‍♂️

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Morizio said:

These sentences you use:

...I’ll be happy with...

...I’ll settle for...

etc

Well said. I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking along these lines. For some posters like @Johnnyrotten it’s like IE has to justify his every decision to him. Why not Brockbank at right back?  Why not Taft at left back, why 5 at the the back, is it right he doesn’t field a sub-keeper, why 4 midfielders on the bench, why hasn’t he recruited more wingers, etc etc and on and on and on..........I’m all for a good discussion but it just comes across as somebody who thinks they know better all the time

45 minutes ago, Morizio said:

These sentences you use:

...I’ll be happy with...

...I’ll settle for...

etc

I cant even think of a response, you've got me there.  But to answer your question, I'm a fan, and I've got zero influence.  Your point?

22 minutes ago, desperado said:

Well said. I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking along these lines. For some posters like @Johnnyrotten it’s like IE has to justify his every decision to him. Why not Brockbank at right back?  Why not Taft at left back, why 5 at the the back, is it right he doesn’t field a sub-keeper, why 4 midfielders on the bench, why hasn’t he recruited more wingers, etc etc and on and on and on..........I’m all for a good discussion but it just comes across as somebody who thinks they know better all the time

Pep paid a fortune for Stones and a lot of people thought that was a bit odd, but for you its not acceptable to question Pep because he's won stuff? Nothing wrong with different opinions surely? IE thought White and Comley were our best midfielders for 4 games, and Delaney wasn't worth a place.  A lot of fans disagreed, now IE has changed his mind, so were all the fans wrong to have an opinion?  I find it a bit odd, just let us know what you think rather than just criticise people for having a say.

• Site Supporter

It’s pretty sImple what I think - trust the guy who’s seeing these people everyday. I trust the decisions he’s making. 

I’ve given my opinion on things I agree/disagree with. I’ve questioned Santos - however he had his best game today. I’ve criticised the whole defensive unit so far- but again IE has attempted to rectify this, with some success today.

I don’t think you realise that you come across as someone who is some kind of an expert on tactics, formations and which players should be playing where.

You didn’t even watch the game today.

You throw that much stuff about it’s mind boggling. It’s like if you throw enough shit out there some of it will stick.  

But to make my point I don’t think we will ever see this season Brockbank at right back and Taft at left back together for the rest of the season like you were suggesting at half time. 

While you’re suggesting stuff like this, in a game you’re not even watching, it’s really hard to take your opinions seriously.

Your stuff about City and Stones...WTF, I couldn’t give a shit. 

You want to know what I think.... today IE got it spot on, he sacrificed his footballing principles for a result. He put the players in who showed some passion, he got them to fight for each other, fight for the shirt. What needs to improve? IMO, which is pretty much irrelevant and I won’t be holding him to account or proclaiming these opinions as something IE must be answerable to are; What’s our preferred system going forward, personally I like the 3-5-2, what’s the best midfield combination? I’m really not sure yet, If Crawfords on form he’s got to be in (he wasn’t today) Sarcevic looked better today, I’d like to see Darcy given a run out Mid-week. I agreed with Farelli today that Sarcevic, Tutte, Delaney and Mascoll deserved a chance - they did and played well.

BUT IE IS THE ONE WHO KNOWS BETTER THAN US!!

In future if you question him, don’t make it sound so final, definitive, irreversible. Honestly you are coming across in the wrong way (I hope)

I’m really trying to be rational with you, debate with you, but until you stop over analysing EVERY decision IE makes, most of which involves you coming up with myriad of theories and solutions, which are largely inaccurate, then it’s going to be hard to take you serious