Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Harrogate v Bolton

Biggish Dave

• Members

Some things never change. FFS can't we just enjoy that winning feeling for a few hours before the forensic analysers take all the fucking joy out of it?

As a bit of a mechanical engineering fanatic, one thing I have learned about football over the decades of involvement is that you can't analyse a football team like a 'well oiled machine' as the media would often have you believe. Human failings, human genius and those intangibles like confidence and spirit all have to be factored in and I am hoping that this breakthrough will provide inspiration for a good run of results.

I know it has made my fucking weekend! :drinks:

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, desperado said:

It’s pretty sImple what I think - trust the guy who’s seeing these people everyday. I trust the decisions he’s making. 

I’ve given my opinion on things I agree/disagree with. I’ve questioned Santos - however he had his best game today. I’ve criticised the whole defensive unit so far- but again IE has attempted to rectify this, with some success today.

I don’t think you realise that you come across as someone who is some kind of an expert on tactics, formations and which players should be playing where.

You didn’t even watch the game today.

You throw that much stuff about it’s mind boggling. It’s like if you throw enough shit out there some of it will stick.  

But to make my point I don’t think we will ever see this season Brockbank at right back and Taft at left back together for the rest of the season like you were suggesting at half time. 

While you’re suggesting stuff like this, in a game you’re not even watching, it’s really hard to take your opinions seriously.

Your stuff about City and Stones...WTF, I couldn’t give a shit. 

You want to know what I think.... today IE got it spot on, he sacrificed his footballing principles for a result. He put the players in who showed some passion, he got them to fight for each other, fight for the shirt. What needs to improve? IMO, which is pretty much irrelevant and I won’t be holding him to account or proclaiming these opinions as something IE must be answerable to are; What’s our preferred system going forward, personally I like the 3-5-2, what’s the best midfield combination? I’m really not sure yet, If Crawfords on form he’s got to be in (he wasn’t today) Sarcevic looked better today, I’d like to see Darcy given a run out Mid-week. I agreed with Farelli today that Sarcevic, Tutte, Delaney and Mascoll deserved a chance - they did and played well.

BUT IE IS THE ONE WHO KNOWS BETTER THAN US!!

In future if you question him, don’t make it sound so final, definitive, irreversible. Honestly you are coming across in the wrong way (I hope)

I’m really trying to be rational with you, debate with you, but until you stop over analysing EVERY decision IE makes, most of which involves you coming up with myriad of theories and solutions, which are largely inaccurate, then it’s going to be hard to take you serious 

It's not just me then.... 👍

9 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Some things never change. FFS can't we just enjoy that winning feeling for a few hours before the forensic analysers take all the fucking joy out of it?

As a bit of a mechanical engineering fanatic, one thing I have learned about football over the decades of involvement is that you can't analyse a football team like a 'well oiled machine' as the media would often have you believe. Human failings, human genius and those intangibles like confidence and spirit all have to be factored in and I am hoping that this breakthrough will provide inspiration for a good run of results.

I know it has made my fucking weekend! :drinks:

and the pub is back open

i wont even remember that we won by 4 pm today 

1 hour ago, Marc505 said:

I let out a silent but not insignificant worry fart every time we do this.

Evatt has been pretty effusive about Santos in his post match interviews. Hopefully his performance yesterday is a sign of things to come. Gritty defensive performances will be required a lot. I was going to say "this year" ...but there's rarely been a successful team at any level that hasn't had that side to its game.  Our 96/7 league winning team had style but could do the dirty side if required. The teams in the later 90s didn't have that aspect ....  until Big Sam got hold of them.

Edited by paulhanley

2 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Evatt has been pretty effusive about Santos in his post match interviews. Hopefully his performance yesterday is a sign of things to come. Gritty defensive performances will be required a lot. I was going to say "this year" ...but there's rarely been a successful team at any level that hasn't had that side to its game.  Our 96/7 league winning team had style but could do the dirty side if required. The teams in the later 90s didn't have that aspect ....  until Big Sam got hold of them.

He was definitely better yesterday and I hope it leads to him settling down in the team and taking charge of his role in it. But I also dont think the clumsy, mistake prone player we saw in the opening games has gone for good.

Great feeling today after a win, I imagine they'll be buzzing back in training tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

He was definitely better yesterday and I hope it leads to him settling down in the team and taking charge of his role in it. But I also dont think the clumsy, mistake prone player we saw in the opening games has gone for good.

Great feeling today after a win, I imagine they'll be buzzing back in training tomorrow.

Well he knows the required standard now. Down to attitude, concentration and willingness to listen to what he's being asked to do as much as talent. Let's see. Good luck to him. If he steps up to the plate everyone's a winnner.

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Well he knows the required standard now. Down to attitude, concentration and willingness to listen to what he's being asked to do as much as talent. Let's see. Good luck to him. If he steps up to the plate everyone's a winnner.

I think Delaney helped massively also , somebody who actually looked like he knew what he was doing . It was a lot better from Santos and hopefully he builds from this performance , I think I only remember once when he made a run through the middle(a good run mind) , I think best to just let the lad get the defensive side right first.

Edited by dusan nikolic

3 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

I think Delaney helped massively also , somebody who actually looked like he knew what he was doing . It was a lot better from Santos and hopefully he builds from this performance , I think I only remember once when he made a run through the middle(a good run mind) , I think best to just let the lad get the defensive side right first.

Agreed. Defending first, frills second