Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Harrogate v Bolton

Biggish Dave

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

That 96/97 team was full of enforcers 

1 hour ago, marple whites said:

Hard as nails, had everyone’s back and could play to boot.  No weak links right the way through the team.

It was probably the end of the era for teams who bonded off the pitch as well as on it and because we kept on winning Todd didn’t mind or turned a blind eye to the likes of Tommo, Mcginlay, Pollock, Sheridan, Taggart and Frandsen having a few shandies at weekend - it certainly meant they had everyone’s back, see wolves battle of Burnden for best example.

You don’t see teams being allowed to bond with each other and with the community in the same way anymore and we’ll probably never see it again.

To be able to maintain this and play the fantastic football they did was amazing. Shame that momentum and spirit wasn’t carried into the prem the season after, probably a step too far for Todd

47 minutes ago, desperado said:

It was probably the end of the era for teams who bonded off the pitch as well as on it and because we kept on winning Todd didn’t mind or turned a blind eye to the likes of Tommo, Mcginlay, Pollock, Sheridan, Taggart and Frandsen having a few shandies at weekend - it certainly meant they had everyone’s back, see wolves battle of Burnden for best example.

You don’t see teams being allowed to bond with each other and with the community in the same way anymore and we’ll probably never see it again.

To be able to maintain this and play the fantastic football they did was amazing. Shame that momentum and spirit wasn’t carried into the prem the season after, probably a step too far for Todd

We had a few bad refereeing decisions that season if I recall correctly, played great football and still had a lot of physical players in the team. Unlucky to go down with a then record forty points, a record at the time and still only beaten once by West Ham who went down with forty two points a few years later after we saw Joe Cole cry I think.

• Site Supporter
52 minutes ago, Morizio said:

That’s an interesting observation. 

It was reckoned that McGinlay had dirt on Bruce as he was seemingly undroppable. 

And all that time I spent thinking SJM got into the team because he knew exactly where the goals were. Stupid me. 

1 hour ago, desperado said:

I don't know about that. Wheater and Vela celebrated with supporters at Fanny's after the great escape.

Our current squad went on a night out together in Blackpool during pre-season.

• Moderators

Derby tried it last season and it didn't end well

• Site Supporter
56 minutes ago, Morizio said:

That’s an interesting observation. 

It was reckoned that McGinlay had dirt on Bruce as he was seemingly undroppable. 

Also, put yourself in Rioch’s position. A player you managed at your previous club has pictures of you with <fill in your favoured image of depravity> so you bring him with you to your next appointment...

Sorry, not having it.

We weren't far off.  

Funny how lists of players from that era hardly ever mention Scott Sellars, a player so under rated he hardly makes the under rated lists.  

3 minutes ago, tkonion said:

I'm guessing it would probably be another striker who he was keeping out of the team perhaps. 101 goals from 198 games for Bolton is the real reason he was undropable 😁

If we were chatting over a pint, I’d tell you but we’re not so it’s staying with me. 

3 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

B7F11vVCQAInTlW.0.0.jpg

Always worth a revisit.

Looks like we were a bit outnumbered at that point. Generally accepted we got the better of it though? 

That’s my recollection. Pretty sure one of the fanzines had a picture of Fairclough catching a Wolves player flush in the nose