Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

burnden pie shop ..memories

crawshawbooth

3 hours ago, Spider said:

Is Rice n Easy still going.

Spent many an hour on the paddock with crippling indigestion ,  belching up their curry sauce.

Same here, I used to love that curry sauce. I also seem to remember the woman that served had a head the size of a pumpkin

Edited by Sweep

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Same here, I used to live that curry sauce. I also seem to remember the woman that served had a head the size of a pumpkin

:-)

She did, we rather subtly called her Moonhead.

Green jacket is reet. I hadn’t been in there for god knows how many years but was passing last year and thought I’d get a pie for my dinner. In monetary terms they may be cheap but I bloody paid dearly for it for the rest of the day in heartburn.

• Site Supporter

Ages ago we played at Cardiff midweek and at the last minute I skipped college to go on the coach from Burnden. I called in the pie shop for sustenance butt they'd nowt left. She sold me a massive bag of grated cheese for the journey, no barm, no nowt.

My blood pressure was as high that day as it was at Wembley after the Stoke match.

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Ages ago we played at Cardiff midweek and at the last minute I skipped college to go on the coach from Burnden. I called in the pie shop for sustenance butt they'd nowt left. She sold me a massive bag of grated cheese for the journey, no barm, no nowt.

My blood pressure was as high that day as it was at Wembley after the Stoke match.

A. Bag. Of. Grated. Cheese.

That's proper funny :-) :-)

5 hours ago, gonzo said:

They still got pictures of David Bowie on the wall?

No Bowie posters

just a massive victorian pie press in the corner and you never know whether its open or not even after you get in the shop ,never anyone stood behind the home made counter

looks like its made from cut down old MFI wardrobe

5 hours ago, Sweep said:

£1.60 for 6 pies, that's less than 27p each, I dread to think what the ingredients are.

They'll be the pies left at the end of the day.

Freeze em.

Then sell em for £1.60 or throw away?

Not difficult.....

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Being a Burnden-sider I have to admit that I never went in. If it was an ales and pie day it was in A/Bridge and then travel down to The Haulgh. Plus, folk that I knew said that they were rank. No idea though 

Jack hammer for the base, and to be eaten with rennie. 

You didn't miss much.

11 hours ago, Spider said:

Is Rice n Easy still going.

Spent many an hour on the paddock with crippling indigestion ,  belching up their curry sauce.

I was going to ask exactly the same! Chip barm and jumbo sausage and a mad dash into the Paddock.

I remember, at the height of the mad cow disease panic,  asking the old dragon what was in the sausages. "I no idea, next please" was her succinct answer