Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pasties

bolton_blondie

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Lucky get. I had some sort of grain-based lunch. Its quite nice, but its not a pastie.

Your post contains four sections and some truths and untruths, I feel.

Lucky get - true

i had some sort of grain-based lunch - probably true

It’s quite nice - BULLSHIT

but it’s not a pastie - true.

Sorry mate, when I’ve had two of Bolton’s finest pastry products there’s no way you’re ever convincing me that “some sort of grain-based lunch” was quite nice.

23 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

I know exactly the one but can’t remember the name😀yep it’s on church street

going to bug me now 

It was indeed Stones' bakery. 

My foreman from when I was serving my time lives around the corner from me and as luck would have it I've just bumped into him and he confirmed it. He should know, more often than not it was him that had sympathy for me with the Friday morning hangovers and bought me a couple pasties/pies to see me through. 

3 hours ago, MickyD said:

Your post contains four sections and some truths and untruths, I feel.

Lucky get - true

i had some sort of grain-based lunch - probably true

It’s quite nice - BULLSHIT

but it’s not a pastie - true.

Sorry mate, when I’ve had two of Bolton’s finest pastry products there’s no way you’re ever convincing me that “some sort of grain-based lunch” was quite nice.

Honestly, kid you not Bulgar wheat in roasted peppers with pine nuts and (in Mortimers accent) feta cheese is a decent lunch. Dear god though you fart like nobody's business. Stuffed aubergines with it and its decent. 

4 hours ago, Traf said:

Carrs pasties, Ye Olde Pastie Shoppe, Warbies bread, Walsh trainers.

All good having a bit of hometown loyalty / rose-tinted specs, but the truth is they're all a bit shit really.

I'm not sure anybody even attempts to suggest Walsh trainers are any good these days. They really are the shittest of the shit.

Carrs Pasties - OK, but not in the top five or six

Warbies - agree, really doughy, the fact a load is still "fresh" after about a week tells you all you need to know

Ye Olde Pastie Shoppe - never been

Carrs are decent, not sure why anyone has a downer on them. Some of the crap you get down here. 

No one is saying Warburton is bloody artisan but for a bacon butty or a cheese and onion sandwiches their toasties are lovely.

Have to say though the Turkish shop near us does love bread but you won't make a sandwich out of it - but with a meat platter with some dips, great.

Horses for courses as they say and I think Bolton does pasties better than anyone. Especially those stupid cornish ones, like eating through a shoe.

On 04/10/2020 at 15:15, leigh white said:

The culinary pastry delight i ever enjoyed was working in a blizzard at Farnworth. The job was rendering a gable wall on a shop called Wet Pets, it was cold and snow was making a show, a few doors up the terraced row was an independant pie shop and the waft of the delicious smell on a dreadful day was making me and my mate hungry. I got the nod to go and get a couple of meat and potato pies. Coming from the pie belt of Wiggin Borough, i've never tasted a more nicer pie in my life, full of chunky potato's , meat cooked to perfection, and loads of thick cut onions. We ended up having three each they were so good.

Wigginers bang on about their very own Galloways pies - but they are tasteless shite, very over rated.

Wiggin can't do decent chippys either.

On 04/10/2020 at 16:23, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Mollie Benthams & Carrs.... Halliwell the pasty capital of the world 😁

Don't forget Mandys bakery - 2 shops on Halliwell Rd last time i was down that way, they are nice as well.

As a kid at Smivs school there used to be a pie shop called Rothwells on Knowlsley Rd off Church Rd Smithills, they were made on the premises and were the best meat+ potato pies i've ever eaten in my life.

46 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Wigginers bang on about their very own Galloways pies - but they are tasteless shite, very over rated.

Wiggin can't do decent chippys either.

Don't forget Mandys bakery - 2 shops on Halliwell Rd last time i was down that way, they are nice as well.

As a kid at Smivs school there used to be a pie shop called Rothwells on Knowlsley Rd off Church Rd Smithills, they were made on the premises and were the best meat+ potato pies i've ever eaten in my life.

I agree about Galloways, thankfully we don't have a branch in Leigh.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Mandy's did the best sandwiches as well, and then just up the road the best chippy in Bolton at Bennett Lane. Their chip barms with gravy are amazing.

In fact Halliwell is a food mecca.

It's decent but there's a lot better in Bolton.

Paul Moulden's on Bury Road, Rigby's on Deane Church Lane, Reel on Derby Street, Whitesides on Halliwell Road, Village Chippy in Bromley Cross, Lever Street Chippy in Great Lever, one in New Bury, Farnworth (just down from mill), all better than Bennets Lane.

6 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Go on, educate me, cos I can't be arsed googling that.

They were originally made for tin miners to take down pit. The crimped edge would be held then  thrown away to avoid the arsenic build up on their hands.

Pasties then were often half savoury and half sweet such as apple pie as a complete meal

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, green genie said:

They were originally made for tin miners to take down pit. The crimped edge would be held then  thrown away to avoid the arsenic build up on their hands.

Pasties then were often half savoury and half sweet such as apple pie as a complete meal

Fucking hell, if I were goin down pit, last thing on my mind would be having a pastie

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Mandy's did the best sandwiches as well, and then just up the road the best chippy in Bolton at Bennett Lane. Their chip barms with gravy are amazing.

In fact Halliwell is a food mecca.

It used to be mint 40yrs ago when I worked at Church Rd Co-op, must pay a visit if I'm back on my old stomping ground.