Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pasties

bolton_blondie

9 hours ago, green genie said:

They were originally made for tin miners to take down pit. The crimped edge would be held then  thrown away to avoid the arsenic build up on their hands.

Pasties then were often half savoury and half sweet such as apple pie as a complete meal

I think this is something the marketing people thought up that's become gospel. Have you ever tried eating a Cornish pasty just holding the crust? It's impossible and probably not going to save you from covid never mind arsenic. 

I used to live near Bennetts lane chippy years ago. No matter what i had from there,it never failed to give me the shits - even a bag o’ chips ffs.

The owner Dave was famous locally for his complimentary little bag of a couple of chips for the kids .

He'd probably get locked up for it these days.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter
47 minutes ago, Nowack said:

I think this is something the marketing people thought up that's become gospel. Have you ever tried eating a Cornish pasty just holding the crust? It's impossible and probably not going to save you from covid never mind arsenic. 

Our cornish pasties aren't like the originals though. Reckon we only play at it with our "stegs".

• Site Supporter

Fairly sure I once heard that a Cornish pasty was where the term “upper crust” was derived. Miners would throw the crust to the kids who collected the coal. Which kind of means arsenic may not have been an issue.

Could be bollocks though.

I knew the story about Cornish pasties, interesting but I'm afraid doesn't make them that tasty. Another interesting food fact - there was no such thing as the term Ploughman's lunch until the late 50s, the name was made up by the cheese or milk or diary council or something - might have been co-oped by the pubs as a way of getting people in for food as well as a drink.

Anyway, I am frankly disgusted about the slurs on Bennet's lane. Never had a bad meal there, or indeed much better. And he still does the one chip dipped in gravy for the little ones.

15 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Well all this talk of food has just led me to Bennett’s lane chippy. Very good and incredibly cheap. Although he’s selling up apparently. 

hunters Bakery for pies tomorrow shall report back 

Get yerself a Scotch pie from hunters. Of the beef variety not chicken. Fuckin great they are.

i await my thanks at this time tomorrow 😁

4 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

I knew the story about Cornish pasties, interesting but I'm afraid doesn't make them that tasty. Another interesting food fact - there was no such thing as the term Ploughman's lunch until the late 50s, the name was made up by the cheese or milk or diary council or something - might have been co-oped by the pubs as a way of getting people in for food as well as a drink.

Anyway, I am frankly disgusted about the slurs on Bennet's lane. Never had a bad meal there, or indeed much better. And he still does the one chip dipped in gravy for the little ones.

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

Well all this talk of food has just led me to Bennett’s lane chippy. Very good and incredibly cheap. Although he’s selling up apparently. 

Get a plate mince pie, or a pastie, or a sandwich..... in fact its all good.

It isnt a surprised he's selling up, he's son went to my primary must be early-mid 70 now. It is so cheap there, I know I'm a bit numb to it being down here but its really good value.

You are lucky though, The city restaurant is a really good chippy. Salt and sauce and a fried haggis  - lovely - and chop chop - amazing dumplings.

10 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

It isnt a surprised he's selling up, he's son went to my primary must be early-mid 70 now. It is so cheap there, I know I'm a bit numb to it being down here but its really good value.

You are lucky though, The city restaurant is a really good chippy. Salt and sauce and a fried haggis  - lovely - and chop chop - amazing dumplings.

It's my lifelong dream to successfully recreate chippy sauce. Still never managed it.

19 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Chop chop has closed its doors sadly recently due to covid. A favourite of mine also. 

chippy sauce is an abomination.

23 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Chop chop has closed its doors sadly recently due to covid. A favourite of mine also. 

chippy sauce is an abomination.

Thats a shame, the Mrs will be gutted, everytime she went back it was a go to. Chippy sauce is great after a few beers, love that stuff. There's a place in Stockbridge - can't remember the name (maybe francos) that does decent takeaways, but the market there is good for cheese and some great pies.

3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Thats a shame, the Mrs will be gutted, everytime she went back it was a go to. Chippy sauce is great after a few beers, love that stuff. There's a place in Stockbridge - can't remember the name (maybe francos) that does decent takeaways, but the market there is good for cheese and some great pies.

Yes Franco’s is in Stockbridge. Two great cheese shops in Stockbridge. Mellis and George mewes

Cracking Thai and Chinese restaurants as well. Lovely wee place 

4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Yes Franco’s is in Stockbridge. Two great cheese shops in Stockbridge. Mellis and George mewes

Cracking Thai and Chinese restaurants as well. Lovely wee place 

Yeah - my mrs best mate lives there, so we generally hang around there as its full of lovely shops and pubs. That cheese shop is ace, got a ton of stuff last time we were there. Obviously its been longer than we would normally like for a visit. We were going to come up and take the kids to their first festival now that they are old enough to enjoy it, and neither of us had a gig there so we could just enjoy it and avoid as many of the posh students as we could.

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

Yeah - my mrs best mate lives there, so we generally hang around there as its full of lovely shops and pubs. That cheese shop is ace, got a ton of stuff last time we were there. Obviously its been longer than we would normally like for a visit. We were going to come up and take the kids to their first festival now that they are old enough to enjoy it, and neither of us had a gig there so we could just enjoy it and avoid as many of the posh students as we could.

Old client of mine owns the Stockbridge tap. Goldmine that place. 

great place to pass away an afternoon and evening.

festival will be amazing next year if it can happen of course. Kids will love it 

6 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Old client of mine owns the Stockbridge tap. Goldmine that place. 

great place to pass away an afternoon and evening.

festival will be amazing next year if it can happen of course. Kids will love it 

Hoping so - had some great nights at The List parties over the years on the opening week. By the end its like everyone's been beaten to death with a stick. I can imagine, I've certainly had whole days pass very easily in there!

Don’t think I’ve seen Paul’s Pasty Shop on Chorley New Road mentioned. Been open a year or two. 

Very similar to Ye Olde and I’m sure I heard the guy used to work there or something. Very good value. 

Greenhalghs Puff Pasty is best for me but nearly £3 now. Don’t like their plain pasty though.
Love their potato cakes and spicy vegetable soup as well. 

Carrs has always been average to me. Dry and taste of cardboard. The jalapeño one is decent though.

Greggs meh; I’d rather have the pizza.

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Don’t think I’ve seen Paul’s Pasty Shop on Chorley New Road mentioned. Been open a year or two. 

Very similar to Ye Olde and I’m sure I heard the guy used to work there or something. Very good value. 

Puff Pasty is best for me but nearly £3 now. Don’t like their plain pasty though.
Love their potato cakes
and sGreenhalghs picy vegetable soup as well. 

Carrs has always been average to me. Dry and taste of cardboard. The jalapeño one is decent though.

Greggs meh; I’d rather have the pizza.

They're decent but £2.25 is too dear. (also £2.45 for a meat pie)

Their potato cakes are ok but can't get near my sister's home made.

• Site Supporter
On 06/10/2020 at 13:26, Escobarp said:

Have you tried Hunters yet. I went today but the queue was too big, so I fucked it off and went Bennetts Lane Chippy  instead

9 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Have you tried Hunters yet. I went today but the queue was too big, so I fucked it off and went Bennetts Lane Chippy  instead

Not yet. I got sidetracked today. I am going in the morning on my way back up the road.  Meeting in Bolton first thing and then hunters for some supplies and home. Will probably go to Paul’s as well and get some frozen pasties for the freezer at home. 

Bennetts lane is a decent chippy isn’t it. Silly prices 

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

They're decent but £2.25 is too dear. (also £2.45 for a meat pie)

Their potato cakes are ok but can't get near my sister's home made.

Missus likes their cheese pasties and as we have not been in ages I popped in today and got 2 plus a cheeky flakey meat and potato one for me to scoff in quick time. Fuck me, £6.70 for 3 little pasties!?