Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BWFC V Grimsby

Ratwhite

22 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

If Crawford was one of the opposition you would be saying he was ace, unfortunately we ask to much, he never shyd away from anything today, the guy needs support, to many of our so called experience players were missing and Crawford wasnt one of them, he was patchy but always wanted the ball, which is more than I can say for others, him, Santos and the rest of the defence were positive today's..

Crawford not played well at all, perhaps the injury means he’s not fully match fit, I don’t  think Doyle dropping deep is helping him either,  less space for him to operate in and no one to pick a pass too. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

21 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

If Crawford was one of the opposition you would be saying he was ace, unfortunately we ask to much, he never shyd away from anything today, the guy needs support, to many of our so called experience players were missing and Crawford wasnt one of them, he was patchy but always wanted the ball, which is more than I can say for others, him, Santos and the rest of the defence were positive today's..

Glad its not just me that can see what Crawford brings.  He tries things others can only dream of, the quick, incisive passing and a lot of it goes unnoticed.  Also nobody was complaining about corners today, I'm fairly sure every corner was delivered right where we would want them, with pace and accuracy.  Take him out of the team and tell me who is going to step in.  He's taken for granted, look at Sarcevic, White and (the improving) Comley and explain how Crawford brings less to the table. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

2nd half Doyle came looking for the ball more, maybe out of frustration of not getting any service, which in a way show he cares, the midfield as no quality for me,dare I say it, but keeping Jason Lowe would have been good business.

It’s not a Jason lowe we need it’s some quality from wide left and right, our wingbacks not good enough, they provide very little quality service, Doyle needs someone to hit the bye line and pull it back across the penalty box. 

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I agree you need time to settle in a new environment, but if you were manager would you not break them into the first team gently?  The first couple of games saw little to no involvement for players that were already "settled" - no sign of Delaney, Darcy, Brockbank and no Crawford initially.  Greenidge and White not only new to Bolton but new to Div 2 football got no settling in time.  IE was not blameless in the 1st few games.

Correct, don't disagree at all

• Site Supporter

maybe, just maybe, IE is starting to 'get it' though like Big Sam did.

I'll be honest, I was calling for Sams head at Cambridge in 5th round of the cup. He knew we weren't getting anywhere letting goals in. Fancy dans went, hard workers came in. Once you stopped shipping goals, then look to score a few.

Hopefully, IE has gone back to the future. Football has always been the same, let less in the opposition. Let in 0 and you've always got at least a point

Jason Lowe would improve any team in this division and most in Div 1, he's streets ahead of the Whites and Comleys and that's no disprespect to them.  But I agree completely the one glaring, massive hole in this team is the absolute inability to either get to the byline (no pace out wide) or to put in a quality cross.  A Liam Feeney or a Morais or a Politic.  As a stop gap I would get Darcy out there, it seems bizarre to me that most of our attacks seem to end with Hickman, Brockbank or Jones attempting to cross when none of them have the quality, Darcy would be a big improvement even though I don't want to see him (or Politic) wasted out wide long term.  If IE doesnt solve the winger problem we arent going to create chances for Doyle.

4 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:.

I'll be honest, I was calling for Sams head at Cambridge in 5th round of the cup. He knew we weren't getting anywhere letting goals in. 

As you know, I missed my sons 3rd birthday party for that game.

I would do it again and again and again.

I haven't read all 17 pages, so apologies if I'm repeating other people's views.

Starting XI today dominated without scoring, final ball lets us down every time. Strikers aren't wasting chances, they're not even getting them.

Santos had another fine game, seems to be settling in now after a shaky start, all 3 at back played well.

Centrally, we look far more solid with Tutte in there.

Otherwise, really disappointed with both Crawford & Sarcevic so far this season. Lots expected of them, nothing delivered yet. 

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/bolton-wanderers/12101021/bolton-0-0-grimsby

Rubbish highlights. Two clips from open play, both are Hickman crosses. The rest were just set pieces and Grimsby highlights.

Trying to see what it is that we're missing. Think Evatt was right in his post match comments that we didn't look mentally strong enough today. Didn't look like we wanted it, too many safe and casual passes. Not enough cutting edge.

Where's the pace in the team coming from? I know it maybe isn't the most important thing since we're playing possession and teams will sit deep so there's not much room to run in behind but feels like we always play at the same tempo and there's rarely a change of pace.

Doyle and Delfouneso both rely on their ball control/skill/strength. Sarcevic, Hickman, Crawford and Tutte all stronger in their distribution than in their running with the ball.

Heard Gordon, Mascoll and Greenidge are supposed to be lightning quick but not seen it yet.

Need some way we can start unlocking defences more consistently and actually giving Delfouneso and Doyle a chance to shoot because most of the games so far they've had barely any service.

40 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I'll be honest, I was calling for Sams head at Cambridge in 5th round of the cup. He knew we weren't getting anywhere letting goals in. Fancy dans went, hard workers came in. Once you stopped shipping goals, then look to score a few.

You've brought that memory back to me.  One of the few "long distance" aways I've done.  We were losing at half time to Cambridge, 3 days after Tranmere thrashed us in the league cup semi.  In the modern age there's no way Sam would have survived that.  Thank God for Bob Taylor in the 2nd half, one of my favourite BW strikers of all time who goes a bit under the radar.  That Cambridge goal was the only one we conceded in the FA Cup before losing on pens to Villa in the semi.

5 minutes ago, Traf said:

I haven't read all 17 pages, so apologies if I'm repeating other people's views.

Starting XI today dominated without scoring, final ball lets us down every time. Strikers aren't wasting chances, they're not even getting them.

Santos had another fine game, seems to be settling in now after a shaky start, all 3 at back played well.

Centrally, we look far more solid with Tutte in there.

Otherwise, really disappointed with both Crawford & Sarcevic so far this season. Lots expected of them, nothing delivered yet. 

Agree with all that. Not sure what Sarcevic's main responsibility is on the pitch, he doesn't seem here nor there.

Not box-to-box, not a gritty shithouse, not picking holes with his passing and not a midfield engine.

Hope he can turn it around and show his quality. Most games I've seen him I barely see him touch the ball. My impression is that he's supposed to be a goalscoring midfielder but not seen him getting in those positions where he can shoot from the edge of the box. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

You've brought that memory back to me.  One of the few "long distance" aways I've done.  We were losing at half time to Cambridge, 3 days after Tranmere thrashed us in the league cup semi.  In the modern age there's no way Sam would have survived that.  Thank God for Bob Taylor in the 2nd half, one of my favourite BW strikers of all time who goes a bit under the radar.  That Cambridge goal was the only one we conceded in the FA Cup before losing on pens to Villa in the semi.

It was awful but eventually led to our best ever time. Give this fella the time, I'm convinced he's decent. He's no coyle/freedman. Real deal if we give him time

Its very strange with Sarcevic, not that he's playing poorly, that happens to all players, but that we cant see any evidence of what he's about yet.  Crawford's shooting isnt spot on, but anyone can see that's where his potential is, with free kicks narrowly wide or passes that are a yard or 2 too ambitious.  If Sarcevic had been seen to have a few shots that were just poor, we'd know he had it in his locker.  At the moment there's nothing, if he'd been on trial for a month he'd have been sent packing with White and Comley.  It strikes me all the rules about having to earn your place in the side dont apply to the captain, lets face it if he's fit he's playing. 

21 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Its very strange with Sarcevic, not that he's playing poorly, that happens to all players, but that we cant see any evidence of what he's about yet.  Crawford's shooting isnt spot on, but anyone can see that's where his potential is, with free kicks narrowly wide or passes that are a yard or 2 too ambitious.  If Sarcevic had been seen to have a few shots that were just poor, we'd know he had it in his locker.  At the moment there's nothing, if he'd been on trial for a month he'd have been sent packing with White and Comley.  It strikes me all the rules about having to earn your place in the side dont apply to the captain, lets face it if he's fit he's playing. 

It'll be interesting to reflect on this early part of the season when all the matches have been played.

5 games in people have already changed their opinion on Santos and it may change again. People lauding Tutte now may be annoyed he's in the starting XI in February. Football is fickle and changes quickly. We could lose the rest of our games this month and then go unbeaten till 2021. 

Gary Madine is a prime example of a player that seemed to have no future for us but eventually it became that when he wasn't in the team we couldn't win!

The annoying thing at the minute is the uncertainty, we're all learning about the squad together as fans and so is the manager and we're also learning about him too.

10% of the season has already gone so if we want promotion we need to start getting consistent to give ourselves the best chance, because the longer the current form continues the more we'll be relying on a purple patch to carry us into the playoffs/top 3.

Maybe remembering it wrong but didn't Freedman take us from the bottom 3 at Xmas to nearly in the playoffs by the last day of the season? 

9 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Glad its not just me that can see what Crawford brings.  He tries things others can only dream of, the quick, incisive passing and a lot of it goes unnoticed.  Also nobody was complaining about corners today, I'm fairly sure every corner was delivered right where we would want them, with pace and accuracy.  Take him out of the team and tell me who is going to step in.  He's taken for granted, look at Sarcevic, White and (the improving) Comley and explain how Crawford brings less to the table. 

Trouble is, Crawford is playing with a bunch of L2 and non-league players so it's perhaps not that surprising that all his passes/final balls end up going just a yard or two long. They won't be able to read them as well as players that he's used to playing with (not at Bolton, obvz).

32 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

Trouble is, Crawford is playing with a bunch of L2 and non-league players so it's perhaps not that surprising that all his passes/final balls end up going just a yard or two long. They won't be able to read them as well as players that he's used to playing with (not at Bolton, obvz).

No, they were pretty shit

• Members
44 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

Then he should be changing his delivery 

4 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

If it was some older player then possibly he’s 22

He might be young but he plays in a position where he's constantly running up and down the pitch, which in itself requires a lot of energy. He's just four matches into his professional careeer, and the step up from junior football to senior football takes a physical toll.

He's also our only fit right-back / right wing-back so we need to make sure he doesn't pick up any niggling injuries that overplaying him might cause.