Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Things that frightened you as a kid

bolton_blondie

• Members
5 minutes ago, boogs said:

Is that the one where in one episode they locked themselves in a lighthouse while millions of seagulls shat tonnes and tonnes of shit all over?? If so then yeah, remember that programme being weird as fuck. Can't quite remember any of the other riveting plot lines, but that one always stuck my head. 

One for me was this lass started dating this lad, he would never take his gloves off, when he eventually did his hands were completed covered in fingernails. Can still see it now 

Just now, Rudy said:

One for me was this lass started dating this lad, he would never take his gloves off, when he eventually did his hands were completed covered in fingernails. Can still see it now 

😂 That rings a bell now you've said it. Yeah, strange TV for kids that was. 

28 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Ffs thats the only actual episode I can remember :D

Great theme tune though...

1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Yeh that's the one.The original Salems Lot was written by Stephen King and was a 2 or 3 parter TV series i think, first shown in the UK in the very early 80's.

Then Rob Lowe starred in the 2004 offering.

It was really good spooky stuff at the time,it would probably look a bit shit now.

Just googled it. 1979. I was 15. I’ve no idea why but my mum watched it with me. It was real shit scary stuff at the time. Like you say though probably look a bit shit now

1 hour ago, boogs said:

Is that the one where in one episode they locked themselves in a lighthouse while millions of seagulls shat tonnes and tonnes of shit all over?? If so then yeah, remember that programme being weird as fuck. Can't quite remember any of the other riveting plot lines, but that one always stuck my head. 

There was also a pissing contest one and a cabbage patch baby. Didn't the fingernail guy turn into a merman?

36 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Gripper out of Grange Hill, top bully, hated the cunt!

Yeh Gripper Stebson, nasty little runt. I seem to remember another bully in Grange Hill a skinhead went by the name of Passmore or summat? Used to love GH in the 80’s & i was 20 odd years old at the time! I had a similar addiction to Brookside around the same time - Tommy McArdle was a “scary” enough gangster.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Moderators
23 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

Dr who theme tune.

That bit in jaws when the severed head pops through the hole in the boat.

And this weirdo used to haunt my dreams as a kid.

I don't remember this

But it's very clockwork orange

tumblr_maxfwvL7dy1qg39ewo1_500.gif

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Cheers shall give it a watch 

I'm watching it again now, and I would suggest you have to commit to it to get the full effect. Watch it in the dark all the way through, and bear in mind that it was broadcast in 1992 when there was no internet or owt like that. Nothing really happens for the first half hour or so, which is probably what made it feel so realistic at the time - along with the fact that the "haunted house" was in a normal suburban street that most working class kids could relate to. I've paused it to post this comment because I started getting scared again 😄

Edited by Cheese

3 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

There was a old American film where two sisters lived together, one was jealous of the nice sister and tortured her.  She put a block of wood between her ankles and took a hammer to them, proper evil film.  I’ve just tried googling the name, not a clue what it’s called?

Sounds like Misery, but it wasn't two sisters.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

There was a old American film where two sisters lived together, one was jealous of the nice sister and tortured her.  She put a block of wood between her ankles and took a hammer to them, proper evil film.  I’ve just tried googling the name, not a clue what it’s called?

Sounds like you're mixing up 2 films. "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" and "Misery".

Edited by Cheese

5 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Yeh that's the one.The original Salems Lot was written by Stephen King and was a 2 or 3 parter TV series i think, first shown in the UK in the very early 80's.

Then Rob Lowe starred in the 2004 offering.

It was really good spooky stuff at the time,it would probably look a bit shit now.

You're reet, Salem's Lot was a 2 parter shown in UK in September 1981 (released 1979 in USA). I was 13 at the time, and was just getting into reading Stephen King novels about then. It was feckin scary for a 13 year old jeep! Recently purchased it on DVD and also re-read the book. The series is dated, but the book still stands the test of time. It shows what a great writer SK is 👍

The only film that really scared me was Evil Dead, about 1982? 

I loved the Omen films, even read the books. Lent them to some cunt, and never got them back....

Edit - noticed the 1981 has been covered!

Edited by jeep

2 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Yeah when Anna Friel was a fit lesbian, now she's a a fake Lesley Ash.

Trevor Jordash on the other hand, deserved to be under the patio. 

I also remember a few  of the Grange Hill cast coming to the Deane School pet show around 1981.

Jordache - not the 1st time you've got this wrong lad......