Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Project Big Picture

barryk32

1 hour ago, Traf said:

Of course.

Currently 20 clubs get 30 Twixes each from a pot of 600 Twixes

They're suggesting throwing 150 Twixes to the paupers at the EFL in the same way you'd throw the crust off a sandwich at a duck.

This leaves 450 Twixes, but they're going to fuck 2 clubs off and spilt the 450 between 18, so they all get 25 each.

End result is a loss of 5 Twix per club in the new 18-team league, which is roughly the price of a shit left back or an unproven English teenager.

Basic Twixonomics, mate.

I really fancy a Twix now

51 minutes ago, kent_white said:

FV appear to be backing it?

Theres a lot to like in it . End to parachute payments, One TV deal negotiated by PL that includes EFL. 25% of tv monies to EFL. Ensure EFL clubs survive covid. Hasnt EFL been after this for ages but never been close.

Also like the Play off idea with 3rd bottom of Prem. 18 clubs in Prem - how many were jn top flight back in the day?

Can live without League Cup. yes rich will get richer and they might eventually fuck off but at least there will be EFL clubs left  No such thing as a free lunch so maybe best way forward post covid. 

How will the 25% be allocated to the EFL?  On a sliding scale presumably with top champ clubs getting the lions share and us, Morecambe and Oldham fighting for the scraps?

I'm not surprised at EFL clubs backing it right now.  We hear potentially that so many could go to the wall and here's someone dangling an immediate cash injection in front of them.

30 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

How will the 25% be allocated to the EFL?  On a sliding scale presumably with top champ clubs getting the lions share and us, Morecambe and Oldham fighting for the scraps?

Fag packet maths...

168 twixes...
4 per championship club
2 per league 1 club
1 per league 2 club

assuming 24 teams in each. The PL still haven't said how they'll shrink the system by two clubs.

15 minutes ago, Traf said:

Fag packet maths...

168 twixes...
4 per championship club
2 per league 1 club
1 per league 2 club

assuming 24 teams in each. The PL still haven't said how they'll shrink the system by two clubs.

just boot extra bottom feeders in Div 2 out. Not happening this season or next anyway so im all for it! Tranmere & Wigan hopefully

It'll be 2 down and just 1 up for a couple of seasons probably.

The relegation/promotion play off idea was abandoned after 1 season last time.  Middlesbrough went up and relegated Chelsea at Stamford Bridge amidst scenes of carnage.  It was decided the potential for future trouble was too great to risk it again.

4 hours ago, BOWTUN BAKED said:

Did I read that they were getting rid of parachute payments as part of this deal? 

If so, aren't they better off?

Be interested to see this, what do EFL clubs currently get? Wiki has it at....

In the 2017-18 season the Premier League paid £243m in Parachute Payments split amongst 8 clubs,[1] and £100m in Solidarity Payments split amongst the remaining 64 clubs.[2]This compares to £88m of UK TV revenue the EFL distributed to its 72 clubs for the 2017-18 season.[3]

So in 17-18 it was £340m from PL + £88m EFL TV deal = £428m in total. I believe TV Revenue for the PL that year was £5bn...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31379128

So 25% would have been £1.25bn, treble the current amount received by the EFL. I’m not having it that they are offering such an increase, I’d love to know what it’s 25% of. 

Let’s not forget, the TV money received by the PL will drop given the global economy 

20 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Be interested to see this, what do EFL clubs currently get? Wiki has it at....

In the 2017-18 season the Premier League paid £243m in Parachute Payments split amongst 8 clubs,[1] and £100m in Solidarity Payments split amongst the remaining 64 clubs.[2]This compares to £88m of UK TV revenue the EFL distributed to its 72 clubs for the 2017-18 season.[3]

So in 17-18 it was £340m from PL + £88m EFL TV deal = £428m in total. I believe TV Revenue for the PL that year was £5bn...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31379128

So 25% would have been £1.25bn, treble the current amount received by the EFL. I’m not having it that they are offering such an increase, I’d love to know what it’s 25% of. 

Let’s not forget, the TV money received by the PL will drop given the global economy 

I prefer Traf's explanation using Twixonomics.

The more you look at the numbers, the more it does look decent for EFL clubs 

Whats the catch? Looks too good to be true from a headline level 

I get that the big clubs would be able to play more lucrative friendlies, also likely that the Champions League would be expanded so they will need the fixture space, but you could live with that I suppose IF it means more money down the leagues 

However, let’s not forget, Championship clubs currently get £5m a year from the PL, didn’t stop us going into admin. Teams will continue to overspend unless a salary cap works right the way up the Pyramid inc PL 

• Members

Money aside the 6 big clubs holding all the votes bothers me.

So say for example Newcastle get huge money pumped into them, a miracle happens and they consistently break in to the top 4 for over a few years, who decides if they become a big club? 

42 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I get that the big clubs would be able to play more lucrative friendlies, also likely that the Champions League would be expanded so they will need the fixture space, but you could live with that I suppose IF it means more money down the leagues 

However, let’s not forget, Championship clubs currently get £5m a year from the PL, didn’t stop us going into admin. Teams will continue to overspend unless a salary cap works right the way up the Pyramid inc PL 

I think the main issue especially with the 14 other PL clubs (or 12 in this plan) is that the "big 6" would have a monopoly on TV deals and voting rights for anything going forward (such as doing away with Big Picture and creating an even more self serving deal a few years down the line)

For clubs nowhere near PL who maybe even only see Championship or L1 as their absolute ceiling this plan works out great for them, but it would still mean football and the pyramid is disfigured forever. It just depends whether you think that ship has already sailed or not I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I think the main issue especially with the 14 other PL clubs (or 12 in this plan) is that the "big 6" would have a monopoly on TV deals and voting rights for anything going forward (such as doing away with Big Picture and creating an even more self serving deal a few years down the line)

For clubs nowhere near PL who maybe even only see Championship or L1 as their absolute ceiling this plan works out great for them, but it would still mean football and the pyramid is disfigured forever. It just depends whether you think that ship has already sailed or not I suppose.

Nothing stopping the 6 of them leaving the PL now and doing their own deal I suppose

I’m looking to try and see a catch but I am struggling on the face of it 

25 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Nothing stopping the 6 of them leaving the PL now and doing their own deal I suppose

I’m looking to try and see a catch but I am struggling on the face of it 

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/project-big-picture-a-sugar-coated-cyanide-pill/

The FSA response lays out the catches, and granted many of them are potential, worst case, sinister motive outcomes. 

How much do these two giant American owners and the other top club owners really care about safeguarding the wider football league going forward, is what it hinges on for me. And after all weve seen since 1992 and where the game is right now, should we really care?

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Money aside the 6 big clubs holding all the votes bothers me.

So say for example Newcastle get huge money pumped into them, a miracle happens and they consistently break in to the top 4 for over a few years, who decides if they become a big club? 

"Big 6" is a misnomer anyhow. Chelsea in the Prem era? Just bummed about until Abramvovich came along. Spurs have done next to nowt and nobody would give a shit about them if they weren't in London. 20 odd years ago city were playing 3rd tier league games against Macclesfield.

• Members
2 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

"Big 6" is a misnomer anyhow. Chelsea in the Prem era? Just bummed about until Abramvovich came along. Spurs have done next to nowt and nobody would give a shit about them if they weren't in London. 20 odd years ago city were playing 3rd tier league games against Macclesfield.

Agreed. How much did the wall-pushers spend to win it, and Leicester won it before them

6 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/project-big-picture-a-sugar-coated-cyanide-pill/

The FSA response lays out the catches, and granted many of them are potential, worst case, sinister motive outcomes. 

How much do these two giant American owners and the other top club owners really care about safeguarding the wider football league going forward, is what it hinges on for me. And after all weve seen since 1992 and where the game is right now, should we really care?

Interesting read, however if we are worried about the ‘big six’ trying to set up a closed shop franchise system then it’s a risk anyway, they don’t need the other 14 PL clubs to approve them breaking away and setting something up. If they wanted to do that they would cherry pick the teams / franchises - Southampton wouldn’t be top of the list for a start 

They way I am currently reading between the lines is that an expanded Champions League is coming, with a similar sort of finish to this year in Lisbon (european super league lite). The extra euro fixtures will pay big bucks and they need to shed domestic fixtures to accommodate it. They are happy letting the other 84 teams share the domestic money more evenly if it means they get an even bigger slice from UEFA

6 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Agreed. How much did the wall-pushers spend to win it, and Leicester won it before them

Think they want stricter ffp to stop another Chelsea or City happening

Id be totally against that 

If someone wants to come and pump billions into UK football then let them, not bothered if Forest Green end up winning the PL personally 

1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

Aside from the big six having effectively total control, I think if the plans went ahead we'd have their B teams playing in the lower leagues within a few years. They certainly don't care about the wellbeing of lower league clubs.

1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Aside from the big six having effectively total control, I think if the plans went ahead we'd have their B teams playing in the lower leagues within a few years. They certainly don't care about the wellbeing of lower league clubs.

I do t think B teams has been mentioned as part of this 

It has with the official PL bailout proposal 

Unless I’m wrong 

EFL aren’t going to accept having to turf 10-20 teams out to be replaced with B teams 

2 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I do t think B teams has been mentioned as part of this 

It has with the official PL bailout proposal 

Unless I’m wrong 

EFL aren’t going to accept having to turf 10-20 teams out to be replaced with B teams 

It hasn't been mentioned, but they want it to happen and they'd have greater leverage to enforce it.