Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Project Big Picture

barryk32

3 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Think they want stricter ffp to stop another Chelsea or City happening

Id be totally against that 

If someone wants to come and pump billions into UK football then let them, not bothered if Forest Green end up winning the PL personally 

Thats why i hate FFP in its current form. its just stopping anyone else becoming big six. Chelski, Citeh gatecrashed big 4. they dont want a big seven or eight. all about self preservation 

20 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Interesting read, however if we are worried about the ‘big six’ trying to set up a closed shop franchise system then it’s a risk anyway, they don’t need the other 14 PL clubs to approve them breaking away and setting something up. If they wanted to do that they would cherry pick the teams / franchises - Southampton wouldn’t be top of the list for a start 

They way I am currently reading between the lines is that an expanded Champions League is coming, with a similar sort of finish to this year in Lisbon (european super league lite). The extra euro fixtures will pay big bucks and they need to shed domestic fixtures to accommodate it. They are happy letting the other 84 teams share the domestic money more evenly if it means they get an even bigger slice from UEFA

I agree that the end game is more European football and competitions where theres no prospect of a big side getting knocked out until about March. FIFA would probably want to bounce in and make a bigger world champions league type competition as well if they could.

Some good discussions on this tonight, replies to Neville's tweet are interesting and Simon Jordan piling in too.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, snowball said:

Thats why i hate FFP in its current form. its just stopping anyone else becoming big six. Chelski, Citeh gatecrashed big 4. they dont want a big seven or eight. all about self preservation 

Looking back

15 years ago it was the big 4

Then city and spurs came along

Be the big 8 soon enough

Still won't include them paupers Everton though

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Money aside the 6 big clubs holding all the votes bothers me.

So say for example Newcastle get huge money pumped into them, a miracle happens and they consistently break in to the top 4 for over a few years, who decides if they become a big club? 

The big six will probably decide/change the rules  that only the big six can finish in the top 6 places. and Newcastle will finish 7th by having a dozen more points than spurs in 6th position.

There ball game so they can change the rules and take the ball away when ever they want.

1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

Think they want stricter ffp to stop another Chelsea or City happening

Id be totally against that 

If someone wants to come and pump billions into UK football then let them, not bothered if Forest Green end up winning the PL personally 

I dont see it like that.  They arent really pumping millions into UK football, they are pumping millions into one club, that normally already has more than it knows what to do with, and giving it to mainly foreign clubs in huge transfer fees, foreign players (and English), agents etc.  They inflate transfer fees and salaries, everyone has to keep up, and the trend filters down to the championship resulting in financial crises we see at that level every season.  Not saying I'm right on this, but my gut feeling is always that the more money that comes into the prem the worse it is for the game.  I would feel completely differently if a percentage of outgoings automatically fed down the leagues but it doesn't (to my knowledge).

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I dont see it like that.  They arent really pumping millions into UK football, they are pumping millions into one club, that normally already has more than it knows what to do with, and giving it to mainly foreign clubs in huge transfer fees, foreign players (and English), agents etc.  They inflate transfer fees and salaries, everyone has to keep up, and the trend filters down to the championship resulting in financial crises we see at that level every season.  Not saying I'm right on this, but my gut feeling is always that the more money that comes into the prem the worse it is for the game.  I would feel completely differently if a percentage of outgoings automatically fed down the leagues but it doesn't (to my knowledge).

Not sure what the issue is with foreign players, second time it’s been mentioned on this thread. A big chunk of the TV revenue that comes in is from foreign TV companies, these foreign TV companies wouldn’t be so interested if they didn’t have players playing over here. 

We’ve had it on WW before but total NET spend on transfer fees in the PL is about 5% of revenue, some of which goes to EFL clubs, meaning only a small % leaves the U.K. anyway 

70% of Revenue goes towards players and agents, of that the biggest winner is HMRC who will take a huge amount in PAYE tax. Only right that the players get the lions share of the revenue as they are the ones everyone is watching. No different to Adele earning £200m singing a few songs 

If a billionaire wanted to get Oxford into the top 6, he’d need to spend big, mainly on wages, biggest winner would be the HMRC again. We should be welcoming them with open arms, one of the best exports we have 

Edited by birch-chorley

Just reading a bit more into this ‘project’ 

Apparently one of the clauses is that PL clubs are allowed to sell 8 matches themselves on their own platform (MUTV etc) 

With a reduced calendar (34 games each) and big clubs selling 8 games themselves it only leaves 24 games left for the PL to sell the rights for (if they show every single game). Likelihood is the big games get sold off directly by the big 6 with them pocketing all the money and the PL TV deal comes down massively. EFL clubs getting 25% of a much smaller number than mapping it out on the current deal 

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, gonzo said:

It should just read richest 6 clubs, not biggest.

City in the grand scheme of things arent as big as spurs or everton. 

City get bigger gates and spend more in a day than Everton do in a year

• Members
20 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

I don’t see why the PL should fund the EFL any more than Adele (worth £200m) and other rich song artist should fund club singers up and down the country who aren’t allowed to earn money 

I really don't get that analogy. The EFL is clearly a feeder (or potential feeder) for the PL. You can argue about how much these days but Adele is Adele is Adele. She doesn't need new young blood coming through.

Why should the PL make such obscene profits whilst the rest of our national game is trying to survive on scraps and failing in ever increasing numbers?

Edited by bolty58

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I really don't get that analogy. The EFL is clearly a feeder (or potential feeder) for the PL. You can argue about how much these days but Adele is Adele is Adele. She doesn't need new young blood coming through.

Why should the PL make such obscene profits whilst the rest of our national game is trying to survive on scraps and failing in ever increasing numbers?

The EFL is a feeder as much as leagues across Europe and the World 

Should the PL bail out league pyramid’s across the world proportionate to how the revenue comes in? 

Besides, it’s complete nonsense that EFL clubs can’t allow some fans in, if that’s what the government want then they should fund it out of the £100m+ a week they bring in from the U.K. game (mainly PL) 

• Members
9 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Just reading a bit more into this ‘project’ 

Apparently one of the clauses is that PL clubs are allowed to sell 8 matches themselves on their own platform (MUTV etc) 

With a reduced calendar (34 games each) and big clubs selling 8 games themselves it only leaves 24 games left for the PL to sell the rights for (if they show every single game). Likelihood is the big games get sold off directly by the big 6 with them pocketing all the money and the PL TV deal comes down massively. EFL clubs getting 25% of a much smaller number than mapping it out on the current deal 

They get to show their games exclusively, or along side sky showing the same game? 

Arm chair - led football clubs.

And if nothing else comes of this current shit storm .

I cannot stand watching BWFC on ifollow.

Would rather spend £150 on a 18hr day out to London , Birmingham or Rochdale to witness the Wanderers lose .

Than spend a tenner and watch them win away on tele.

• Members
20 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Exclusively 

Which means the combined package sold by the PL becomes less attractive and gets smaller when it’s sold again 

They’ve got it until 2022. Plus I think you have to buy packages you can’t buy certain games. That will be a sticking point

11 hours ago, gonzo said:

It should just read richest 6 clubs, not biggest.

City in the grand scheme of things arent as big as spurs or everton. 

Citeh not as big as Everton? and yes i mean before the arabs hitched up. i would say similar size myself. 

9 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Just don't get the Spurs thing. Sum total of honours in the 30 odd years of the PL era - 2 league cups. As I say, if they weren't London based nobody would pay them a fraction of the attention they do.

Their new ground is amazing. WHL was impresdive old stadium as well. Home gates right up there. they have the tradition and history. i wouldnt judge a club on just on trophies bought/won recently. They are easy a top six if not top four club for me on every criteria.

2 hours ago, BOWTUN BAKED said:

What happens when the next billionaire owner tips up? Leeds, Newcastle? A Midlands side? A South coast side?

Does it become the big 7, 8, 9, 10

The Yanks want a say on future owners so there wont be any more billionaire owners to provide competition