Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A Guy Called Gerald.

leigh white

A Farnworth face i've not seen in ages, bumped into him today on Leigh bus station, wearing a leather jacket instead of his usual denim what he sported all over the country watching the whites in the 70s. Tells me he gave over following Bolton a while ago which is a shame. 70 year old now and he still looks the same.

• Site Supporter

I remember Ged, used to go in Monteraze pre-match towards the end of the burnden days. Denim jacket and jeans, always had the old 70's style woolly scarf - mainly blue with a bit of white and red.

For some strange reason, he always called me Alan. Never had the heart to tell him.

25 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I remember Ged, used to go in Monteraze pre-match towards the end of the burnden days. Denim jacket and jeans, always had the old 70's style woolly scarf - mainly blue with a bit of white and red.

For some strange reason, he always called me Alan. Never had the heart to tell him.

Did you tell him your name is Rodney

Dave

11 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Bumped into him about 10 years ago said he’d packed BWFC in and went to Rock n Roll events instead, was a strange fella TBH. 

He had his head screwed on right that day in the Stanley Park pub aka Blue House when all the scousers were buying him ale before the match.😃

I spent a few hours in Rotherham Central Police Station sobering up once. When they realised I was just a pisshead and not a dickhead they released me later that night. He happened to be in the next cell next to me. Shared the train journey home with him. He wasn't a man of many words. 

15 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Bumped into him about 10 years ago said he’d packed BWFC in and went to Rock n Roll events instead, was a strange fella TBH. 

Changed his name to Ted, I heard

25 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Is he big set fella ? Remember a guy who used to see in pubs in farnworth always wore double denim hair slicked back 50s style . But can’t recall seeing him about for a few years if the same guy 

Yeh, that sounds like him. Always greased back hair,  denim,  and doc martins. Always popped up, home and away, and didnt give a shit!

On 13/10/2020 at 16:35, Biggish Dave said:

Remember when he turned up at full time for Hartlepool away?

It was moved to a noon kick-off because of the rugby and Ged was unaware.

Straight back home on the train.

Wish I could remember where it was but at an away game during the “casuals” era a bloke was getting stick in a boozer about the double denim.  ‘Hey, Shaky, give us a song”. Didn’t end well. From the description I’m guessing that it was him?? Bit of an odd bloke that just randomly seemed to turn up on his own to games?