Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oldham home

DomRepWanderer

Just now, ProfessorWoland said:

I think they're trying to play better football than they're capable of.

This is my worry. Are the players technically good enough to play that style of football over 90 minutes?

I'd argue on current evidence they're a long way short. 

He's had his 6 games to get it right. We need to see a massive improvement over the next 6 or the knives really will be out. 

This experiment is going badly, badly wrong at the moment. And that's coming from a glass half full type.

3 minutes ago, ProfessorWoland said:

I think they're trying to play better football than they're capable of.

Counter argument would be that they can improve at it and eventually it will click but yes, feels like too much too soon at the minute.

6 minutes ago, snowball said:

Johnny is full of it. sad really- give it up mate hes been utter shite.Crawford is massively over rated because he was the best in a terrible team last year. We are showing absolutely no sign of improvement whatsoever and the football we are playing is embarrassing.  Id seriously be thinking of getting rid and asking Graham Alexander or similar to take it on until the end of the season but might just be because im so pissed off at moment 

Got a feeling Crawford might be one of those who became brilliant whilst out injured. Struggling to see what he brings at moment,cant even fall back on his set pieces.

Brockbank is no centreback turned inside out numerous times.

Everything we do is laboured ,like football by numbers ,no spontaneity at all

The lad from Luton was our best player .Speaks volumes.

As someone pointed out we take unesessary risks passing the ball deep for no advantage whatsoever.

Beginning to think we have been sold a pup.

Just now, Take Hunt Off said:

Brockbank is no centreback turned inside out numerous times.

Everything we do is laboured ,like football by numbers ,no spontaneity at all

The lad from Luton was our best player .Speaks volumes.

As someone pointed out we take unesessary risks passing the ball deep for no advantage whatsoever.

Beginning to think we have been sold a pup.

Brockbank is shit; but so are all our players

15 minutes ago, ProfessorWoland said:

I wish I'd not watched that.

Feel for santos, him the fans and kios  about the only ones who didn't deserve that.

Santos and Delaney are great defenders and distributors of the ball at this level.  Kioso was OK but nothing special, too many blocked crosses and going down blind alleys, but good attitude and surprised how many headers he won.  I just feel Darcy would bring more to the table with the added bonus of being an option from dead balls, also got more of an engine.

Whatever football 'philosophy' you want to put out there on a match day it has to be effective. We are nowhere near being that. Too many risky balls in our own half, too many lapses in concentration, too many in our team who want too long on the ball and are too easily knocked off it. Too many touches, too many ineffective passes, too little penetration from the wing backs, too easily ripped through when we lose it, too many fade out of game in last quarter.

The only decent chance we made second half was from the simplest thing we did all afternoon. We are fannying around trying to turn non league standard players into a low level Arsenal. It's not working and I can't see any sign of when it will.

Our previous low point in my lifetime was being in this division, this is a whole new depth we are plumbing

Everything we do being laboured is a good summing up. @Take Hunt Off

Amount of times I'm shouting at the TV "just fucking pass it."

So many players hold onto the ball far too long it just kills all the momentum. And if they do pass it quickly they usually don't hit a white shirt. It's fucking infuriating. 

Still in the camp of being patient and giving the system a chance to develop but fuck it's just not working. Needs a real re-think tactically because if the aim is promotion and we keep pursuing this it's going to be too far gone by Christmas.

Try something different against Barrow I beg. I don't care if you drop Doyle and Deflouneso, just try something different, see what else we can offer because it's just head against a brick wall at this stage. Only game we won this season we had less possession than Harrogate. It was actually 61-39 to them. We could be deadly on the counter but instead we're trying to pick the lock through solid banks of 4 when our delivery and passing is just not up to scratch.

Just when you think we've finally hit rock bottom new depths are reached.

At the minute there's only one way we are leaving this division. 

Home record 0-1-3. In Division Four. 

Hard to know whether to be angry, reflective, crestfallen or fatalistic. Been through them all this past 18 months. 

Horrible time to be supporting this great football club. 

2 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Just when you think we've finally hit rock bottom new depths are reached.

At the minute there's only one way we are leaving this division. 

Home record 0-1-3. In Division Four. 

Hard to know whether to be angry, reflective, crestfallen or fatalistic. Been through them all this past 18 months. 

Horrible time to be supporting this great football club. 

In one.

Was a spell of 5-10 mins early 2nd half when we shifted it quicker and actually stretched them...just felt bad we scored then we could have picked them off for more as they’d have pushed for an equaliser, but sadly our decision making and execution isn’t there ATM and sadly we are a soft touch; naive and too easy to bully. Ref let them get away with a lot but where are we giving it them back?!

I thought Kioso had a decent debut but you can’t take many positives from today.

For me the main issue is in CM; that’s where you break them up and also dictate the play for us. And we are shot at both. I don’t think you can play Crawford and Sarcevic..and Comley was awful. Not a good combo that.

FWIW I’d get Tutte back in and persevere with Crawford; as Sarc looks so far off the pace it’s scary

Pah, can’t even blame VARor owt

• Site Supporter

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, we are simply not in a position to take a chance on a young manager living out some Fifa21 Barcelona wankfest - not in our position and with what limited funds we have.

We are signing players that are incapable of suddenly being Messi, but might just be able to fit into a system more suited to clogging around League 2.

FV are great, and have my full backing, but I think this was an appointment by a naive outfit.

Evatt:

“It isn’t good enough from anybody. From one to 24 in the squad they need to own up fast.

“Too many of them are too comfortable, not pushing themselves, and just happy to be at Bolton Wanderers. They think they have made it because of what we have got around us.

“I don’t see passion, I don’t see drive, I don’t see commitment. I don’t see people wanting to run that extra five yards and what it takes to help your friends out on the pitch.

“I’m disgusted with that performance, to be honest, and that’s a strong word. I’m disgusted.”

Is he passing the buck, or is he being fair?

Edited by Mantra