Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oldham home

DomRepWanderer

36 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Evatt:

“It isn’t good enough from anybody. From one to 24 in the squad they need to own up fast.

“Too many of them are too comfortable, not pushing themselves, and just happy to be at Bolton Wanderers. They think they have made it because of what we have got around us.

“I don’t see passion, I don’t see drive, I don’t see commitment. I don’t see people wanting to run that extra five yards and what it takes to help your friends out on the pitch.

“I’m disgusted with that performance, to be honest, and that’s a strong word. I’m disgusted.”

Is he passing the buck, or is he being fair?

Dont blame number 17......you have give him zero mins

In a strange way, it could be a good thing we've lost today. A draw would've papered over the cracks to some extent. The reaction wouldn't have been so raw and brutal if it had been a draw. I think it was quite an open game where either team could have won. Yes Oldham had good chances and I think if anyone deserved to lose it probably was us.

But if this doesn't put a rocket up their arses I don't know what will. 

7 minutes ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

IE is absolutely spot on.

Hes still got my full support and fwiw I’m confident that he will sort it.

some of u lot thought it was gonna be a cake walk this season.

So do some of our players it seems. 

i understand the fans frustration but this is a new team and it’s going to take time to get it right. How long? Can’t say at this stage but I think it’s gonna be a struggle this season, no shit Sherlock I hear you say.

the sooner IE calls them out and wakes them from their slumber, the better...

hes done that now so we need to see what the response is.

if it were me I’d get the fuckers in tomorrow morning for training, give em a drink then send them up to the mast and back.

then make them watch the game. Tell em it ain’t good enough.

then back up to the mast and back down again.

They should do this every week that we get beat! 

The penny will soon drop that if they want to survive in this league then they need to WORK! 

It ain’t rocket science, make em do it Evatt.

I don't buy that this is happening because we think we're billy big bollocks and don't think we have to put the effort in.

We aren't up to playing "the system". Just keep it simple.

38 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Evatt:

“It isn’t good enough from anybody. From one to 24 in the squad they need to own up fast.

“Too many of them are too comfortable, not pushing themselves, and just happy to be at Bolton Wanderers. They think they have made it because of what we have got around us.

“I don’t see passion, I don’t see drive, I don’t see commitment. I don’t see people wanting to run that extra five yards and what it takes to help your friends out on the pitch.

“I’m disgusted with that performance, to be honest, and that’s a strong word. I’m disgusted.”

Is he passing the buck, or is he being fair?

Not being fair.  If he thinks every player from 1 to 24 isnt good enough/wasnt good enough, his judgement is even worse than the evidence presented before he said that.  It strikes me not facing up to the specific problems, anyone could say "its not good enough from anyone, we need to try harder"; I'd expect more from a manager and a bit of humility.

Just now, Johnnyrotten said:

Not being fair.  If he thinks every player from 1 to 24 isnt good enough/wasnt good enough, his judgement is even worse than the evidence presented before he said that.  It strikes me not facing up to the specific problems, anyone could say "its not good enough from anyone, we need to try harder"; I'd expect more from a manager and a bit of humility.

He did specify the mentality. I get what you're saying though. Not sure we can afford to keep chasing the dream of his Brand Evatt system. For whatever reason it's not working and yeah if you're Barrow and you get fuck all points to start the season it's different and you can take time to bed in. Finished 10th in his first season? But when you're coming to BWFC with public declarations of promotion being the aim from both owner and manager it's a whole new level and it does strike of naivety. 

1 hour ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Are they shit? or are they being asked to play a game that doesn't suit them? as someone said football is an easy game, complicated by fools.

Do like that saying it’s like a lot of Brian clough  saying does make you think is evatt trying to over complicate it . But I suppose it worked at barrow 

Evatt came into the club with a plan and an idea about the team style and players he wanted which Sharon bought, as did a lot of others. He has been backed, as far as we know, and got the players and has had 3 months to work out his style.

He clearly sold us all a pup, he never actually has ever had a plan and the sight every game of players looking clueless only says one thing - the manager isn't good enough.

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

i understand the fans frustration but this is a new team and it’s going to take time to get it right. How long? Can’t say at this stage but I think it’s gonna be a struggle this season, no shit Sherlock I hear you say.

if it were me I’d get the fuckers in tomorrow morning for training, give em a drink then send them up to the mast and back.

The penny will soon drop that if they want to survive in this league then they need to WORK! 

4 minutes ago, hughmungus said:

Evatt came into the club with a plan and an idea about the team style and players he wanted which Sharon bought, as did a lot of others. He has been backed, as far as we know, and got the players and has had 3 months to work out his style.

He clearly sold us all a pup, he never actually has ever had a plan and the sight every game of players looking clueless only says one thing - the manager isn't good enough.

2 posts which reflect our disappointment and identify the issues we see. But one is rational, one irrational.... I’m sure we can all work out which is which....

1 minute ago, Moonguest said:

The only players I exclude are Doyle and Delfouneso.

I can’t agree that most of these aren’t good enough at this level ability wise.

They aren’t playing well enough granted. And maybe what they aren’t good enough for is this system rather than the division as such

I think IE is on the money with their mentality but it’s not the only problem

Well, it’s his time to show us what he can do with them...let’s see 

55 minutes ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

Sounds like he asking the vote of confidence” put me out my misery “

33 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

I get that

but don’t tell me Doyle/Crawford/sarcevic/delfounso are dross and then you have others with league 1/2 experience 

Where’s the energy and pace in there though?, the midfield put zero pressure on the opponent and gets sliced apart on the counter.

27 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

So basically you think the players are shit and IE should not take responsibility? 

That’s the point. Evatt is 100% responsible. At this level it’s all about identifying players who will do a job. Who remembers Bournemouth winning 2-1 at the Reebok in 2014/15 on the way to the Premiership? 1-0 down an reduced to 10 men after 15 minutes, they went on to win 2-1 after totally dominating the game. All 11 players home-grown and largely recruited by Eddie Howe from the lower leagues. It’s an extreme example but it shows the starting point is spotting players who can do a particular job. Evatt has already shown he hasn’t got that talent.

1 hour ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

Good post and I tend to agree.  It's alright Evatt calling them out after the game but he had the chance to try and change things today.

Sarcevic and Crawford were two going through the motions and Gordon was awful.  He only took one of them off. 

3 minutes ago, Moonguest said:

That’s the point. Evatt is 100% responsible. At this level it’s all about identifying players who will do a job. Who remembers Bournemouth winning 2-1 at the Reebok in 2014/15 on the way to the Premiership? 1-0 down an reduced to 10 men after 15 minutes, they went on to win 2-1 after totally dominating the game. All 11 players home-grown and largely recruited by Eddie Howe from the lower leagues. It’s an extreme example but it shows the starting point is spotting players who can do a particular job. Evatt has already shown he hasn’t got that talent.

Eh?

You start talking about this level and then your example is a game in the championship from 5 years ago 🤪

• Moderators
2 hours ago, DomRepWanderer said:

The only crumb of comfort I have is that Evatt started badly last season at Barrow, then went on an unbelievable run, can he do it here? 

Yeah but it wasn't his first season with a newly assembled squad from scratch

Think we need to be patient

I'd not be getting rid of him this season, no chance

1 minute ago, jules_darby said:

Eh?

You start talking about this level and then your example is a game in the championship from 5 years ago 🤪

And your point is? My point is that the manager has to be judged by his signings. The best coach in the world is struggling if the players aren’t up to it.