Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oldham home

DomRepWanderer

• Site Supporter

Having calmed down a bit, I’m hopeful Evatt will get it right.

He’s chucked a shed load of players together who he’s only seen in passing rather than managed before.

He seems to have sussed Comley & Hickman are not fitting his style early so looked to sign replacements.

He’ll suss that out all over the pitch as the season goes on. No knee jerk reaction. We aren’t going up this season. Give Evatt the time to sort out them he’s not keen on after all, get it right in summer then go up next season

2 minutes ago, Moonguest said:

And your point is? My point is that the manager has to be judged by his signings. The best coach in the world is struggling if the players aren’t up to it.

No, a Manager is judged by his results not his signings specifically. His role is more than recruitment.

However right now we ain’t doing much well

3 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

He’s chucked a shed load of players together who he’s only seen in passing rather than managed before.

That's one of the things that's annoyed me about his pre season hyperbole, he was talking about the players wanting targets on their backs before he knew or even signed some of them, without really knowing their characters or if they'd thrive on such pressure.

To be fair to him hes come out and said he regrets some of his comments, but they've been said now.

1 minute ago, jules_darby said:

No, a Manager is judged by his results not his signings specifically. His role is more than recruitment.

However right now we ain’t doing much well

Surely, results are a reflection of signings. Nine competitive matches, eight lost. No comparative I can remember in the 57 years I’ve attending.

5 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

He seems to have sussed Comley & Hickman are not fitting his style early so looked to sign replacements.

He’ll suss that out all over the pitch as the season goes on. No knee jerk reaction. We aren’t going up this season. Give Evatt the time to sort out them he’s not keen on after all, get it right in summer then go up next season

Can we financially afford another league 2 campaign especially in current times, think we had this discussion few weeks back my concern is if we have a flat season the fan backing won’t be anything like this year 

• Site Supporter
Just now, radcliffewhite1 said:

Can we financially afford another league 2 campaign especially in current times, think we had this discussion few weeks back my concern is if we have a flat season the fan backing won’t be anything like this year 

Be in a better position than most

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I thought that about Hickman, he perhaps seemed a touch harsh on him last week. Begs the question why was Comley back in today?

Didn't see the game, thankfully, but my neighbour said he wasn't up to much.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I thought that about Hickman, he perhaps seemed a touch harsh on him last week. Begs the question why was Comley back in today?

Didn't see the game, thankfully, but my neighbour said he wasn't up to much.

Big workload coming up, Tutte only played a couple of games and White still 2 or 3 weeks away.

White incidentally has already been sounded out about a full time transfer in summer

8 minutes ago, Moonguest said:

Surely, results are a reflection of signings. Nine competitive matches, eight lost. No comparative I can remember in the 57 years I’ve attending.

Signings contribute but that’s just one part of the rich tapestry of fuckwittery that has contributed towards our lacklustre start.

I think everyone agrees it’s been awful

You seem to think that it won’t change purely because of the signings he’s made; others (like me) are hopeful that it can still change

We’ll just have to see 🤷🏽‍♂️

2 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

Signings contribute but that’s just one part of the rich tapestry of fuckwittery that has contributed towards our lacklustre start.

You seem to think that it won’t change purely because of the signings he’s made; others (like me) are hopeful that it can still change

Yes we will have to see. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

Do you think there may be a fitness issue?

Other sides seem to be able to get about the park better, and I certainly don't see any real pace in our side.

1 hour ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

IE is absolutely spot on.

Hes still got my full support and fwiw I’m confident that he will sort it.

some of u lot thought it was gonna be a cake walk this season.

So do some of our players it seems. 

i understand the fans frustration but this is a new team and it’s going to take time to get it right. How long? Can’t say at this stage but I think it’s gonna be a struggle this season, no shit Sherlock I hear you say.

the sooner IE calls them out and wakes them from their slumber, the better...

hes done that now so we need to see what the response is.

if it were me I’d get the fuckers in tomorrow morning for training, give em a drink then send them up to the mast and back.

then make them watch the game. Tell em it ain’t good enough.

then back up to the mast and back down again.

They should do this every week that we get beat! 

The penny will soon drop that if they want to survive in this league then they need to WORK! 

It ain’t rocket science, make em do it Evatt.

Agree pal. I think he will sort it. 

I am gutted but I don't blame the manager or the team, let's not forget Anderson did the damage.

I thought it was an open game with both teams getting stuck into each other, I wish we equalled their niggling a bit more.

We needed to win and we had to play Oldham. They did the expected smash and grab... bustards, it was pre-written.

I was hiding behind the sofa in extra time and it happened.

In the words of my school reports...  Can do better

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Other sides seem to be able to get about the park better, and I certainly don't see any real pace in our side.

Our side has loads of pace in it. The fact they aren’t showing it is down to confidence

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You’d be surprised as you have to be really fit to play possession football and the way IE banbs on about it then doing it so well in training. 

However watching Sarc for example you could have a point! he just didn’t seem “match-fit” or sharp; just lumbered about

• Site Supporter
Just now, Biggish Dave said:

Our side has loads of pace in it. The fact they aren’t showing it is down to confidence

Do you think so?

Whenever I've seen Gordon I'm just not seeing it. Certainly a confidence issue, as he doesn't seem to want to go past a defender, but none of them have lived up to some of their billing. 

Our central 3 all seems a bit one paced, even if they seem fairly comfortable with the ball. 

Hope you're right, and it will come, but some desire wouldn't go amiss. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, jules_darby said:

You’d be surprised as you have to be really fit to play possession football and the way IE banbs on about it then doing it so well in training. 

However watching Sarc for example you could have a point! he just didn’t seem “match-fit” or sharp; just lumbered about

Aye. Could they be overdoing it in training?

2 hours ago, kent_white said:

This is my worry. Are the players technically good enough to play that style of football over 90 minutes?

I'd argue on current evidence they're a long way short. 

He's had his 6 games to get it right. We need to see a massive improvement over the next 6 or the knives really will be out. 

This experiment is going badly, badly wrong at the moment. And that's coming from a glass half full type.

Including cup games he has now had 9 games - and no sign of ant pattern/progress