Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oldham home

DomRepWanderer

2 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

You’d be surprised as you have to be really fit to play possession football and the way IE banbs on about it then doing it so well in training. 

However watching Sarc for example you could have a point! he just didn’t seem “match-fit” or sharp; just lumbered about

Thought sarcevic had a decent second half 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Do you think so?

Whenever I've seen Gordon I'm just not seeing it. Certainly a confidence issue, as he doesn't seem to want to go past a defender, but none of them have lived up to some of their billing. 

Our central 3 all seems a bit one paced, even if they seem fairly comfortable with the ball. 

Hope you're right, and it will come, but some desire wouldn't go amiss. 

Desire is the only way to win games right now. Grind a few wins out, everything else would follow. Needs to be ugly for a bit

3 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

Including cup games he has now had 9 games - and no sign of ant pattern/progress

Not as a team but Santos settled down, Sarcevic was excellent second half, Crellin looks ok and I’ve been his biggest critic, Gordon improved today and think Brockbank looks decent. It’s ain’t easy or quick to gel a team. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

I made the point elsewhere last week that the team appear to be over-coached, the situation reminds me of Sammy Lee trying to change everything overnight. There are lots of unsuccessful purists in football management, sometimes you have to play ugly and go for percentages

How much are we paying sarcevic? Every team we e played this year so far have Had players in midfield that have outworked,outshone and outplayed him. Probably on a fraction of his wages. I. Not making him the scapegoat as most of them have been fucking awful but you have to question how the player of the year for a team promoted from this league has suddenly gone so shit.   Billy big balls syndrome thinking he’s made it and getting paid too much Now to give a shit?

3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Not as a team but Santos settled down, Sarcevic was excellent second half, Crellin looks ok and I’ve been his biggest critic, Gordon improved today and think Brockbank looks decent. It’s ain’t easy or quick to gel a team. 

Excellent? He was marginally better than he was first half which was almost pub football level 

7 minutes ago, superkev said:

Thought sarcevic had a decent second half 

Yeah they said that on iFollow, I thought he wasn’t great though. Just seemed to chug about.

I can see the player in him; same for Crawford, but right now CM is where we’re losing the games so they need to be accountable...as nice a footballer(s) as he/they may be

6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

That's one of the cases for the defence (pun alert) of what is going on with us at the moment. A few games ago he was the worst defender ever to pull on the Bolton shirt and in his last few games has looked composed and a class above his team mates. So it shows how quickly lost causes can improve.

(I still think hes got a calamitous mistake in him, mind)

9 games in, 7 defeats and only 1 win, how disappointing 

The lowest depths the club has ever plunged, not careful we could go out of the league here 

So much hope as well when the season started 

I’d stick with IE, at least until January, but it’s clear that something has gone drastically wrong here. One of the biggest budgets in the league but so far we’ve got nothing to show for it 

6 minutes ago, superkev said:

He was the only one in the second half who tried to drive us forward. Not saying he was amazing but certainly wasn’t shit

All about opinions. I thought he was shit. Even more so for the second highest earner at our club and captain?You’re happy with that output? 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

9 games in, 7 defeats and only 1 win, how disappointing 

The lowest depths the club has ever plunged, not careful we could go out of the league here 

So much hope as well when the season started 

I’d stick with IE, at least until January, but it’s clear that something has gone drastically wrong here. One of the biggest budgets in the league but so far we’ve got nothing to show for it 

2 more defeats , fuck him off , we are crap.

I thought it was Sarcevic's most lively performance that I've seen, seemed to get on the ball a bit more today. It's not saying much though and he still didn't do well enough.

Usually, even in our shit teams of recent times we had a player I thought, maybe they could do something eg. Ameobi, Alf, Madine in his purple patch, Crawford last year to an extent... Just not seen anyone yet who we can depend on to drag up the standard and level of the team, everyone looks equally poor. 

Evatt said today, it's not going to stop him trying to do things the way he wants them, so I guess we're persevering with the system/style, his job now is to make the players perform better in that style. Mixture of fitness, concentration, desire and decision making. If we were dominating the game and had lost to 2 set pieces/sucker punches then fair enough, but Oldham had their fair share of chances today and we had our usual couple of decent chances. For our style and possession we should be making 5-10 clear cut chances each game.

I made the point earlier but in long term, losing today may be a good thing as it really is a massive wake up call. Evatt said in the prematch interview something like 4 points from the last 2 games, that's title winning form. Trying to be positive but also totally unreflective of our performances. 1 point today wouldn't have been great but would have been passable. Losing today is unacceptable for our club size, budget, ambitions and not sure where Evatt even starts with the team but it needs a good shake up. Personnel, formation, whatever, I just hope he changes it next week.

Sarce/Comley/Doyle/Delfouneso/Crawford, all senior players in the squad and need to step up because they're letting us down massively. Maybe it's the manager's fault asking too much too soon and putting too much pressure on us, I don't know anymore but those senior players have to do better than they are doing imo.

27 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Simple not good enough no midfield whatsoever Comley is a pub player at best and Sarevic is bloody awful as for Crawford what as happened to him. 

IE needs to sort this and fast and his post match comments are now sounding like Hill.

Do you think so? He basically intimated he's on borrowed time on the one I saw. 

Sarcevic could have ended with an assist if Doyle had hit target 2nd half but otherwise looked like a player whose stats were good in a team that suited him. Here and there a few decent contributions but not enough and faded as badly as half a dozen others last 20 mins. For a big lad gets knocked off ball too easily

My issue here is the supposed focus on stats, can be misleading if they were produced in teams that were set up to suit their best attributes. We look to have a few too many of that ilk and not enough with a big enough pair of bollocks to direct, organise and take a bit of personal responsibility for making things happen. 

The D o F role has never convinced me,  shady, always behind the scenes, no shit sticks to them, never to be seen or heard when the players they've targeted turn out to be wank. In our case, the pup we have been sold is a fair bit less Evatt and a lot more Phoenix. Yes, Evatt comes out with the soundbites about having tracked this or that player for ages, so who are we to say he's telling porkies when Phoenix remains a mystery, protected by those he's bullshitted into giving him a big job and a free rein when his pedigree is virtually non existent

Good honest interview with Evatt.

But apart from the lad from Luton at full back every single one of them was shite.

sloppy passing, slow and lethargic all of them.  Win the ball and give it away, passes behind the runner, blind passes across the middle of the park - just basics.

no energy, desire and will to win.

doyle dropping deeper and deeper.  All trying to do flicks instead of easy balls- it was a shit show.

if you were in charge of Salford tonight after that, you would have been sacked - simply not good enough.

4 home games, 1 goal and 1 draw - the natives would have been going ballistic and at this level utter wank.

i have no idea where we go from here as he Evatt has signed this shower of shite and they simply don’t look good enough.

Back to the red wine 🍷 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Sarcevic could have ended with an assist if Doyle had hit target 2nd half but otherwise looked like a player whose stats were good in a team that suited him. Here and there a few decent contributions but not enough and faded as badly as half a dozen others last 20 mins. For a big lad gets knocked off ball too easily

My issue here is the supposed focus on stats, can be misleading if they were produced in teams that were set up to suit their best attributes. We look to have a few too many of that ilk and not enough with a big enough pair of bollocks to direct, organise and take a bit of personal responsibility for making things happen. 

The D o F role has never convinced me,  shady, always behind the scenes, no shit sticks to them, never to be seen or heard when the players they've targeted turn out to be wank. In our case, the pup we have been sold is a fair bit less Evatt and a lot more Phoenix. Yes, Evatt comes out with the soundbites about having tracked this or that player for ages, so who are we to say he's telling porkies when Phoenix remains a mystery, protected by those he's bullshitted into giving him a big job and a free rein when his pedigree is virtually non existent

Evatt’s comments about some not being good enough sounds like he’s firing back at Toby and his shiity analysis wagon wheel

1 hour ago, desperado said:

2 posts which reflect our disappointment and identify the issues we see. But one is rational, one irrational.... I’m sure we can all work out which is which....

It’s amazing how having an opinion about something you care about is classed as irrational behaviour when its based on an honest assumption.

If the manager hasn’t started to “lose” elements of the dressing room already with his statements why aren’t they playing for him ?

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, marple whites said:

Good honest interview with Evatt.

But apart from the lad from Luton at full back every single one of them was shite.

sloppy passing, slow and lethargic all of them.  Win the ball and give it away, passes behind the runner, blind passes across the middle of the park - just basics.

no energy, desire and will to win.

doyle dropping deeper and deeper.  All trying to do flicks instead of easy balls- it was a shit show.

if you were in charge of Salford tonight after that, you would have been sacked - simply not good enough.

4 home games, 1 goal and 1 draw - the natives would have been going ballistic and at this level utter wank.

i have no idea where we go from here as he Evatt has signed this shower of shite and they simply don’t look good enough.

Back to the red wine 🍷 

Jam Shed and 19 Crimes (not together) both go down quickly and numb the pain

42 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

We need other options, 2 good wingers and a proper centre forward would give us another option. 

Biro, morais on a contract till end of season, there you go pal get out there see what you can do.He'd tear it up that lad and would love ro be back at Bolton in whatever capacity.

Lets be honest He'd be worth a punt now.

1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

Had a bottle of Jam shed the other week, not to my pallet, got a nice Trivento Shiraz on the go toneet, gonna follow up it up with a couple of Fireballs before bed.... to numb the pain 😁

And a bit of meths and a whiff of diesel fumes......

wouldn’t mind but junior lost 4-3 this morning to an injury time goal as well

i hate football